Gettysburg

southsider2k5

My family and I hopped in the RV when I was 12-13 (mid 90's) and hit up most of the Civil War sites. Gettysburg was cool, although the town sorta detracts from everything (too touristy). I watched the Gettysburg film with Jeff Daniels on the drive there and remember being very informed about what happened. The coolest part I think was that hill that they defended for so long. I remember walking around that area and looking at the crazy slope those guys ran up just to get shot down.

If anyone is interested in this stuff, I think my favorite is the battlefield museum at Vicksburg. The driving tour was awesome.

Some years ago while living in Tennesee, I actually participated in a Civil War re-enactment. I had a friend who was a sergeant in a re-enacting regiment, so I borrowed some period garb and joined up for a weekend at a place called Shiloh. Shiloh was considered the bloodiest battle of the "West" (quoted because West, in the Civil War, meant anything west of the Appalachians). I spent the weekend marching around with a working musket rifle, firing in line, camping out on a kilt, and playing the character to all the parents and kids who came out for a demonstration at the military park. One of the cooler experiences I had in TN. Firing that musket rifle and re-enacting a battle maneuver were a blast. And we actually got to march and skirmish along the historical battle lines, which was a cool way to learn about it.

Oh, and, it was kind of fun being with a regiment from the South. I tried my best to not talk like a yankee.

One scary part - there are some people down there who really don't seem to know that war is over.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
My family and I hopped in the RV when I was 12-13 (mid 90's) and hit up most of the Civil War sites. Gettysburg was cool, although the town sorta detracts from everything (too touristy). I watched the Gettysburg film with Jeff Daniels on the drive there and remember being very informed about what happened. The coolest part I think was that hill that they defended for so long. I remember walking around that area and looking at the crazy slope those guys ran up just to get shot down.

If anyone is interested in this stuff, I think my favorite is the battlefield museum at Vicksburg. The driving tour was awesome.

Little Round Top is the spot you are talking about. The coolest story I heard during our tour was about the General who abandoned the top of that spot thinking his troops would be better served at a different spot on the battlefield (Sickles I think) and then the story about the CSA and the Union troops literally racing up the side of this hill to try to claim it.

I couldn't believe the scale of everything there. The pictures, movies, and history books don't do the area justice. It is so emmense. It is really something I have never experienced before. I can't wait to go back and stay for a while.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
Little Round Top is the spot you are talking about. The coolest story I heard during our tour was about the General who abandoned the top of that spot thinking his troops would be better served at a different spot on the battlefield (Sickles I think) and then the story about the CSA and the Union troops literally racing up the side of this hill to try to claim it.

I couldn't believe the scale of everything there. The pictures, movies, and history books don't do the area justice. It is so emmense. It is really something I have never experienced before. I can't wait to go back and stay for a while.

I remember we ran that. I had this great teacher in 8th grade for everything Civil War, and at the end of the year we took a trip there. We hit a lot of the key areas around the town; my favorite was thing was the rocks at Devil's Den.

We did a lot of awesome things there. Our teacher had us all research a soldier, and "adopted" them. At the end, we all ended up searching for our soldier's grave in the national cemetery and laying a rose on it.

I really would like to go back now, that I could appreciate it more. I really love US history (taking an elective credit of such in the fall, as I haven't really had anything since early HS).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
I remember we ran that. I had this great teacher in 8th grade for everything Civil War, and at the end of the year we took a trip there. We hit a lot of the key areas around the town; my favorite was thing was the rocks at Devil's Den.

We did a lot of awesome things there. Our teacher had us all research a soldier, and "adopted" them. At the end, we all ended up searching for our soldier's grave in the national cemetery and laying a rose on it.

I really would like to go back now, that I could appreciate it more. I really love US history (taking an elective credit of such in the fall, as I haven't really had anything since early HS).

That's an awesome idea with the adoption of a soldier. Very cool teacher you had.

I might be the last person to have read this, but did anyone else read Devil in the White City? I finished it in like 4 days. Fascinating stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
You stupid dork ass... it only took you two weeks to figure it out. :lol:

I've been in baby making mode every day for the past two weeks....what can I say, Mike was the LAST thing on my mind during that process. :lol: