Treos, Blackberrys, RAZRs, and other cell phones

kapkomet

So my phone is two years old tomorrow, which means I get a new phone.

Please don't link me to 8500 phones, I can do that myself... but,

what cell phones do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it? I'm not talking carriers, I'm talking PHONES themselves.

I have a blackberry for work, I generally like it - I thought about getting a Treo, but thought that might be overkill. Then again, if I can surf the net like a little PC, I'd probably think about getting it.

What do ya'll think? By the way, screw the IPhone. That's a overhyped POS in my opinion. $600 for a phone BEFORE you sign up? No thanks.

I've got a Cingular 8125 (HTC 'Wizard' is the base model). It's a PocketPC. My only gripe is that the internet on it is slow, but they have a new one out, the 8525 that uses Cingulars Edge network. If you like to mod stuff it's fun. I've got a cool white sox background on the 'today' screen and nes and sega emulators on it when I get bored on the train. I've also got a 2gb mini-sd card filled with tv shows.

Some friends of mine have the crackberry. Maybe it's because I had this phone first, but I've never dug the blackberry's at all. I feel like mine can do 10 times more things and in a more user friendly way (touch screen for instance).

I have a Treo 680 - had the 650 previously. I love it. The texting and emailing I use like crazy (thank God for the unlimited plan) and I use the internet at least once a day. It's not as fast as an ISDN connection, but it's better than the 650 and the Blackberry, imo. The 680 is also touch screen which I love. It does have some stuff on it that I don't use, but it's minimal. For the price vs accessories is comes with, I think it's the best deal for a "smart phone". As for the phone it's loud and clear - which I did have concerns about with the internal intenna, but I have had no reception issues since getting it in January - even when I was in Costa Rico.

And I don't know if you care about this, but streaming is excellent on it as well.

Really (on the streaming part)?

Can you give me an example?

And, are people able to hear you well? (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? DAMMIT, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???) :)

By streaming, do you mean MP3 already downloaded onto a card, or real, online streaming with video or music?

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
Really (on the streaming part)?

Can you give me an example?

And, are people able to hear you well? (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? DAMMIT, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???) :)

I can watch espn news with ease. No jolting or screen freezing. I have also watched tv shows from network sites. I've never had an issue with hearing others and they have not indicated they have an issue hearing me.

One thing I don't like is the battery life. It lasts just under 24 hours with my normal use - for me that's about 50 or so texts and maybe 20 minutes of talk time and an hour or so of web searcing. I would prefer it to be a bit longer, but since I charge it while driving it's not that much of an issue. It sucked when I was on vacation so that's why I mentioned it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
By streaming, do you mean MP3 already downloaded onto a card, or real, online streaming with video or music?

Real online streaming. I'm not into that mp3 stuff.

Oh you crazy PC lovers...the iPhone is going to be great...but not yet.

They won't have 3G technology yet. And don't forget that the RAZR was $499 when it came out too. Now, they are giving them away. That's what I have and I like it except for one thing, if your ear isn't positioned right on the phone, it's hard to hear the caller. It isn't reception, it's the phone. Otherwise, it's been great.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
im a blackberry guy through and through, I think having a stylus is stupid and I adore the click wheel.

Jim loves his BB also. His new one has a navigation system on it which is pretty cool, but no longer has the click wheel. It has a joystick like button to navigate now.

The 680 is both stylus and finger touch screen. I've never used the stylus.

I'd stab my eyeballs out with a damn stylus - those things piss me off. Now a touch screen I could go for.

A lot of people are saying that the existing Treos with the touch screens are just as good as, if not better, then an IPhone because #1 - the Treo has MUCH more memory, and #2 - the surfing abilities of a Treo are very good.

Can you surf soxtalk with a treo? :D

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I'd stab my eyeballs out with a damn stylus - those things piss me off. Now a touch screen I could go for.

A lot of people are saying that the existing Treos with the touch screens are just as good as, if not better, then an IPhone because #1 - the Treo has MUCH more memory, and #2 - the surfing abilities of a Treo are very good.

Can you surf soxtalk with a treo? :D

I surf and post from it all the time.

I also have about 1000 pictures all the way back to 2005, over 200 contacts, and several business files downloaded to it and have had no memory issues.

do you use lo-res or hi-res for soxtalk?

that's actually very cool if you can go to sites like this one and not lose a lot of functionality.

i guess i can test drive the darn thing at the store and decide for myself, eh?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
do you use lo-res or hi-res for soxtalk?

that's actually very cool if you can go to sites like this one and not lose a lot of functionality.

i guess i can test drive the darn thing at the store and decide for myself, eh?

Hmm.. I don't know.

Definitely test it first. They should give you a week to do so.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
Oh you crazy PC lovers...the iPhone is going to be great...but not yet.

They won't have 3G technology yet. And don't forget that the RAZR was $499 when it came out too. Now, they are giving them away. That's what I have and I like it except for one thing, if your ear isn't positioned right on the phone, it's hard to hear the caller. It isn't reception, it's the phone. Otherwise, it's been great.

The Iphone is going to be an epic flop at least early on. The biggest flaw is that most people who have these pocket pc's use the phones for business purposes. I know that at my company (and its a major company) the Iphone is worthless because it isn't currently compatible with what we use to get our email/contacts/calendar all synced up to what is on our company laptops, etc.

So basically put that means most likely, Apple put the largest customer for smart phones (Corporate Companies who basically buy the phone for the employee) and pushed them away.

Of course this is all based on my assumption that my company uses similar technology to the rest of big business.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
Hmm.. I don't know.

Definitely test it first. They should give you a week to do so.

Hi-Res. At least thats how it comes up on my treo.

I had my old Motorola from 1995 in a box - I threw it out... gads that thing was a chunk.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Hi-Res. At least thats how it comes up on my treo.

Nice.

I'll definitely have to try it. Syncing email is the other biggie, of course. Then you goofballs can email me every time the server goes wacky. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
I had my old Motorola from 1995 in a box - I threw it out... gads that thing was a chunk.

Nice.

I'll definitely have to try it. Syncing email is the other biggie, of course. Then you goofballs can email me every time the server goes wacky. :lol:

Well I'm using the ol blackberry for this post. Not bad. It takes a little while to download the avys and all but really this is pretty cool. Now supposedly a treo is faster then the tmobile service I have with the blackberry. Really though this is not too bad.

I have the Blackjack and every functionality you can ever need is on this phone. You can sync different email addresses to the phone and they will show up right on the phone, the internet is faster than I ever would have expected, and you can upgrade the memory to add music (WMP), pictures (1.3 MP), contacts, etc.

Only drawback is battery life, but it comes with an extended battery, so that is good too.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)

Nice.

I have work outlook, yahoo, and 3 sbc email accounts sync'd and the email loads super fast. Also, mine with Cingular service is it's compatable with windows applications so I can open excel and word files - and work on them if I need to.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I have the Blackjack and every functionality you can ever need is on this phone. You can sync different email addresses to the phone and they will show up right on the phone, the internet is faster than I ever would have expected, and you can upgrade the memory to add music (WMP), pictures (1.3 MP), contacts, etc.

Only drawback is battery life, but it comes with an extended battery, so that is good too.

who makes it?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)

I demo'd a blackjack and was impressed. Its extremely similar to the treo with really the only big difference being it's size.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
who makes it?

Motorola. Not a plus, imo.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
I demo'd a blackjack and was impressed. Its extremely similar to the treo with really the only big difference being it's size.

Motorola. Not a plus, imo.

Actually Samsung makes the blackjack, not Motorola...

Motorola makes a similar phone the Q or something that has similar functionality.

I have an LG VX8700 VX8700_Closed_m_m.jpg

Its kinda razr-esk with better keys and better battery life. Also I can get my email on here but of course lack the functionality of a keypad which I wish I had.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Actually Samsung makes the blackjack, not Motorola...

Motorola makes a similar phone the Q or something that has similar functionality.

I have an LG VX8700 VX8700_Closed_m_m.jpg

Its kinda razr-esk with better keys and better battery life. Also I can get my email on here but of course lack the functionality of a keypad which I wish I had.

Chit.. you're right. RD, I like your phone from the 5 minutes I messed with it, but you are right about the lack of keyboard functionality. I don't think I could live without my treo and how easy it's made communication.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I have the blackberry curve....best phone ever

That's the one with the stainless trim and the little nob to navigate, right?