How many games do the Sox need to win in this streak

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

So now that they have won 4 in a row how many games do you guys think the sox need to run this win streak to have any prayer of a second half miracle?

i'm thinking that they need to take 8 of the next 9 before the break to even have the slimmest of hopes of making a legit run after the all-star break. i'm not saying that they are capable or incapable of putting something together, simply posing a hypothetical.

what do you guys think?

Maybe, following the Cubs debacle and the season essentially being over, the Sox no longer feel any pressure. And maybe that's contributing to their improved play.

As far as the thread title.... I'll say they need 18 in a row. Otherwise, we're kidding ourselves.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
If the Sox can make it back to .500 by the All-Star break I'll feel comfortable declaring them back in this thing.

Which means they'll have to win the remaining 10 games before the break, finishing at 1 game over .500.

We need to now go 62-25 to win 95 games... :D

Prior to this 4 game series, I began joking with my friends that we were going to go on a 30-game win streak. Tonight was 4 of 30. Only twenty-six remaining. The sad thing is, we figured that even if we did win 30 in a row, we very well still would not be in first place at 59-42..... :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
If the Sox can make it back to .500 by the All-Star break I'll feel comfortable declaring them back in this thing.

As crazy as it sounds I kind of agree with this...even though I doubt it will happen. Remember to make the playoffs the Tigers or the Indians would have to fall...and I am not totally sold on the Indians. Carmona has come back to earth, Byrd has struggled and Jo Bo isn't that reliable. Anything can happen but it is still a LONG shot.

Theres only 10 games left until break so we would have to win all of them to be above 500. Thats not going to be easy, besides how many games back do we have to be to be considered in contention for the playoffs.

Id say 8 games back might be the closest we get until break and thats assuming Cleveland and Detroit lose.

I'll play along. If the Sox are at or just above .500 by the beginning of August, they have an outside shot at it. This assumes that Cleveland and Detroit hit a ceiling for games over .500 and then both struggle while the Sox are hot in August and September. Looooong shot.

I see no chance. If it was only 1 great team we were chasing maybe, but we have to catch Cleveland and Detroit, not to mention the ever-annoying Minnesota is there.

A team using Andy Gonzalez, et.al., as a prominent players simply isn't sustainable. I'd like to see better, more competitive baseball. I'd like to see the starting pitchers get rewarded for their work. Paul Konerko is starting to hit, Iguchi is starting to hit, but we have or had 4 major parts of the team (Pods, Dye, Erstad, Thome) to miss time due to injuries and there is no lock on it they won't miss more time. We have other guys who have just played poorly, a few of our guys look like their best years are behind them, and our bullpen has been in shambles.

If this team finishes .500 it would be a terrific season. I just don't think the team is good enough to catch Cleveland or Detroit. It has some great parts (the rotation, Jenks, PK), but mostly it's a mediocre team. Other than Buehrle, I want to continue with the impending firesale of retooling our program.

That isn't being a doom and gloomer...I still support this team, still watch, still root, but I just don't see any plausible chance they make the post-season and 3 wins in a row over Tampa Bay does nothing to change that.

Edited by kwolf68