How many games do the Sox need to win in this streak

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Isn't there 11 games before the break? 3 with KC, 4 with Balt, and 4 with Min, with a double header on Friday?

You are correct, I figure the sox will stretch the win streak to 11 get everyone excited and then Min kicks our ass before the break and puts the nail officially in the coffin. I am just happy to see us win some games and get back to some form of respectability...lets keep things entertaining at least.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
I see no chance. If it was only 1 great team we were chasing maybe, but we have to catch Cleveland and Detroit, not to mention the ever-annoying Minnesota is there.

A team using Andy Gonzalez, et.al., as a prominent players simply isn't sustainable. I'd like to see better, more competitive baseball. I'd like to see the starting pitchers get rewarded for their work. Paul Konerko is starting to hit, Iguchi is starting to hit, but we have or had 4 major parts of the team (Pods, Dye, Erstad, Thome) to miss time due to injuries and there is no lock on it they won't miss more time. We have other guys who have just played poorly, a few of our guys look like their best years are behind them, and our bullpen has been in shambles.

If this team finishes .500 it would be a terrific season. I just don't think the team is good enough to catch Cleveland or Detroit. It has some great parts (the rotation, Jenks, PK), but mostly it's a mediocre team. Other than Buehrle, I want to continue with the impending firesale of retooling our program.

That isn't being a doom and gloomer...I still support this team, still watch, still root, but I just don't see any plausible chance they make the post-season and 3 wins in a row over Tampa Bay does nothing to change that.

How could you say that, after what we've seen happen in this division over the past 5 years or so? The Twins have won this division with plenty of players like Andy Gonzalez on their team. What would need to occur is continued solid starting pitching, a rapid improvement by the bullpen, and this offense hitting as it is capable of, which is certainly averaging 5-6 runs a game. If those three things happen, they could certainly go on a streak. Will it happen? Probably not. But there is absolutely enough talent on this team for it to happen hypothetically.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
A team using Andy Gonzalez, et.al., as a prominent players simply isn't sustainable.

Everyone clamors for Twins-type players who make contact, can catch the ball and run. our defense has improved 100 percent with Dye out and A-Gon in the game. He is the type of player that many people on here want to play. It seems to be working. We have been taking extra bases on singles, stealing 2nd, making turns and putting pressure on the pitcher. If the middle keeps hitting, I have no problem with A-gon and LT playing.

What if the Tigers, Indians and Twins all offered the Sox to trade any 2 players on their roster to the Sox for any 2 of theirs ? Would the Sox make the playoffs then ? What trades would you make ? Just for fun obviously.

Tigers: Maggs and Granderson for Terrero and Gonzalez

Indians: Sizemore and Peralta for Uribe and Pods

Twins: Santana and Nathan for Masset and Bukvich

Rotation: Santana, Garland, Buehrle, Javy and Danks

Bullpen: Nathan, Jenks, Logan, Contreras, Thornton and MacDougal

Lineup: Sizemore, Granderson, Maggs, Thome, Konerko, Peralta, A.J., Iguchi and Fields

Dye - 4th OF/ DH

If this happened tomorrow would the Sox win the division ? Is there a different combination that would win it for them ?

lets go guys gonna be at the game tonight bring home a winner

with a win tonight the sox would move to 37-44 at the exact halfway point of the season.

all they need to do then is win 70% of their games in the second half to make the playoffs, thats possible right...?

ok maybe im dreaming but either way its fun to think about

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
lets go guys gonna be at the game tonight bring home a winner

with a win tonight the sox would move to 37-44 at the exact halfway point of the season.

all they need to do then is win 70% of their games in the second half to make the playoffs, thats possible right...?

ok maybe im dreaming but either way its fun to think about

A 70% clip is very hard to maintain for 81 games, but it is not impossible. They need to string together a couple of 5-6 game win streaks and get to within about 7-8 games by August 1st. The head to head games vs Det, Cle, and Min will be huge.

The Sox need to close out Baltimore these next 2 games, and take a minimum of 3 from the Twinkies. That would put them at 41-45 at the ASB.

After the ASB, the Sox have the following until their next day off on July 30th:

at BAL for 4 (3-1)

at CLE for 3 (2-1)

at BOS for 4 (3-1)

vs DET for 5 (4-1)

vs TOR for 3 (2-1)

They would need to win every series and go on a 14-5 run to make it to 55-50. The Detroit 5 game series will probably decide the season. If the Sox can take at least 4, they will make up a minimum of 3 games on the Tigers within 4 days. Depending on how Detroit plays between now and then, the Sox could be within a few games at that point. Again this is a extreme long shot, but it is still possible for the WC.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
A 70% clip is very hard to maintain for 81 games, but it is not impossible. They need to string together a couple of 5-6 game win streaks and get to within about 7-8 games by August 1st. The head to head games vs Det, Cle, and Min will be huge.

The Sox need to close out Baltimore these next 2 games, and take a minimum of 3 from the Twinkies. That would put them at 41-45 at the ASB.

After the ASB, the Sox have the following until their next day off on July 30th:

at BAL for 4 (3-1)

at CLE for 3 (2-1)

at BOS for 4 (3-1)

vs DET for 5 (4-1)

vs TOR for 3 (2-1)

They would need to win every series and go on a 14-5 run to make it to 55-50. The Detroit 5 game series will probably decide the season. If the Sox can take at least 4, they will make up a minimum of 3 games on the Tigers within 4 days. Depending on how Detroit plays between now and then, the Sox could be within a few games at that point. Again this is a extreme long shot, but it is still possible for the WC.

I'm not a big fan of Ozzie, but if he can win 70% of the games the rest of the way with this bullpen, they should give him a lifetime contract that guarantees he's the highest paid manager every season.

whats the farthest a team has been out of the playoffs at the all-star break and still made the playoffs?

i know minnesota was 9 games back from a playoff spot last year at the all-star break, but has there been a team even further than that? i would assume so, how about more than 12 games back?

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Sox are done.

yea i know but i am curious if someone has an answer to that question i am interested to know what it is.

just to put things in perspective as to how difficult it is to win games at a 70% clip for a prolonged period of time wrap your mind around this,

the 2005 white sox won 68% (52-24) of their first 76 games in the '05 season. i think its pretty obvious that this team is incapable of making a run like that with 76 games remaining in the 2007 season and would still put them at only 91 wins on the season

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
whats the farthest a team has been out of the playoffs at the all-star break and still made the playoffs?

i know minnesota was 9 games back from a playoff spot last year at the all-star break, but has there been a team even further than that? i would assume so, how about more than 12 games back?

adding to this, the twins were actually 11 games back of the tigers at the break last season, obviously this is the same tigers team that they ran down and passed to win the division by 1 game so they made up 12 games on the tigers in the second half, thats pretty hard to imagine

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
adding to this, the twins were actually 11 games back of the tigers at the break last season, obviously this is the same tigers team that they ran down and passed to win the division by 1 game so they made up 12 games on the tigers in the second half, thats pretty hard to imagine

The Twins didn't have to climb over 3 teams.