digital cameras

kapkomet

There are probably threads on this somewhere else in SLaM, but I'm too lazy to look and frankly I don't want to mess the site up by doing a search so.....

I think for our anniversary, I think I'm going to get Mrs. Kap a good camera.

I need one that doesn't hesitate when you click the button, it needs to take the damn picture. We've missed some darn good baby pics because our current camera takes too darn long.

What's that feature called again? When you can click and then click again and it takes the pictures?

Does a Canon Rebel do that?

Any other suggestions? I have until next week to decide.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Pffft... $300 is nothing compared to some that she was looking at. Aye aye aye...

Are you sure she was looking at a digital then? As far as they go, the most expensive one's aren't much higher than that. Within $50 to $70.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
I love the Canon EOS 5D I use at work. It's down to about $2,500 now. If you don't want any lenses that is.

Well, you did say "fancy digital."

Oye ve...

That's nuts!!!

Perhaps if I was a professional photographer, but for fun... no way Jose!!

For Christmas, Brian got me the Panasonic DMC-FZ7. I researched it before telling him that was the one I wanted as it met the specs I wanted. We found it on Amazon for $259 - it was going for about $330-$350 on other sites.

Here is a decent write up of it: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasoni...iew/index.shtml

Personally, I haven't bought any accesories for it, but I have looked around for them and found them with ease at decent prices.

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
For Christmas, Brian got me the Panasonic DMC-FZ7. I researched it before telling him that was the one I wanted as it met the specs I wanted. We found it on Amazon for $259 - it was going for about $330-$350 on other sites.

Here is a decent write up of it: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasoni...iew/index.shtml

Personally, I haven't bought any accesories for it, but I have looked around for them and found them with ease at decent prices.

That looks pretty good, Queen!

Question for you, though (I hope you see this soon...) - when you click the button to take a picture, how long does it take to reset until you can take another picture? Is it pretty quick? Also, when you go to take the picture, how long does the camera take to take the picture?

Steff, is this more in line with what you have for a camera? I might have misunderstood what you were saying all the way up in the thread here. This seems like it's a decent camera?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)

Question for you, though (I hope you see this soon...) - when you click the button to take a picture, how long does it take to reset until you can take another picture? Is it pretty quick? Also, when you go to take the picture, how long does the camera take to take the picture?

Steff, is this more in line with what you have for a camera? I might have misunderstood what you were saying all the way up in the thread here. This seems like it's a decent camera?

Mine has the option to take one right after the other just like a non-digital camera, and it also has the "slow" option where it will auto correct focus, red eye, etc before taking the picture. If I use the "slow" option it takes a couple seconds, and yes we've missed a lot of good smiles using that mode.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)

The newest Kodak digitals are way quicker, but not instant. The wife's dad got one, and it is really sweet, and only in the $300 range.

I can't remember for the life of me what the feature Mrs. Kap wanted, she's said it 100 times and I can't remember... (tuning out the wife is never a good thing, :lol:).

Of course, I can't ask... if I want to surprise her. :D I may at this point have to show her a "it's coming" receipt... :lol:

I'm pretty sure that the feature she was thinking of jumped the camera into the next pricing range... but really some of the things that these cameras have looks good to me.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Pffft... $300 is nothing compared to some that she was looking at. Aye aye aye...

You are looking for the action digital camera's. I think they are called SLR's or something like that. My step-mom enjoys photography and she has a Cannon one that was relatively expensive (I don't recall the exact price but it has two different lenses that you can attach to it and I think it was something like 750). They live in a foresty type area and she takes shots of animals and that sort of stuff.

But its the type of camera that you can click through and hold on and it will take picture after picture (you could use it at a baseball game and take action shots without any blur).

It is an awesome camera as I've used it before taking some shots at a ball game and it works amazing.

Edit: Apparently I should have read later on down the thread cause it looks like you realized it was an SLR.

Sorry Kap - just saw this. Yes, it is very quick to get set for the next picture to be taken.

I was originially looking at Kodaks as that is what my MIL has, but I found more negative reviews rather than positive for the features I wanted.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I've never owned a digital camera because the technolgy is tough to keep up with. I won't drop $500.00 on a camera only to have them come out with a better one the following week. In a few months, camera models are damn near obsolete.

You don't have to go that far to get a good camera. Hell instead of going for the highest megapixels, go back a couple, and you can get all of the same features, with still a great resolution. I still use my 4 MP camera, and get excellent shots. You don't need 10 MPs to get a nice camera.

I got a Nikon D40. It's light years ahead of the Kodaks. I can see why everyone raves about the Digital SLR's now. The pictures just when we were messing around with it out of the box last nigh are amazing when compared to the Kodaks we have.

No, it's not the top of the line in the market place right now, but this is a damn good camera.

I have a Canon SD700 and it's a great camera. It's about 1.5 second from shot to shot, with flash enabled it's about 2 seconds. All these Canon models have a burst mode where you can hold down the button and it will take continuous shots. The image stabilization is pretty amazing. Costs between 300-330.

Whatever you buy, I would check out some reviews first.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/20....html?tag=glnav

EDIT: Doh...you already purchased.

Edited by Controlled Chaos