Barry Lamar Bonds

witesoxfan

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
I guess I will cause Ruth is the greatest there is and likely ever be, in my book. Then again, I'm old fashion.

K, then be ignorant of the fact that Ruth didn't have to play against African-Americans, Latinos, and Asians, didn't have to worry about jetlag, and didn't have to worry about the media scrutiny everyone else in the game does today too.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
Like I said, steroids don't improve hitting ability and hand-eye coordination. Power- yes, some. But like you say, many other players did it and weren't monsters. Take Juan Rincon, Guillermo (sp?) Mota, and Neifi Perez for example

There are certain steroids that can improve hand-eye coordination. And most steroids will improve your power alot, not some.

There is a difference between certain steroids and the amphetamines that Rincon was caught with. Amphetamines is a big gray area.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty but the evidence is just too strong against Bonds. I read 'Game of Shadows'. Something was going on.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
Prove it.

Tim Kurkjian did one of his tributes today to A-Rod, and he wasn't exactly as big as he is now. I know, I know, his HR total never peaked, but he is bigger now.

Of course you are gonna be bigger when you are 30 rather than 19.

I just can't hate Bonds as much as a lot of people. To act like Barry was alone in this somehow is silly. The entire game for the last 20 years or so has been tainted by this crap. If you want to throw Bonds records out, you would probably need to throw out a whole hell of a lot more people as well. I don't like it much, but it is the truth.

I thought it was funny how the Padre fans were booing him when he came up to the plate and then were booing the pitcher when he walked Bonds a couple of times last night. Anyways I hope to see Bonds break this record soon, I'd like to be watching it on TV if possible. Whether I see it or not, I'll be happy to have it over and the focus shift to something else.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
I would criticize this post, but I'm pretty sure your wife and kids are reading over your shoulder.

That's funny. I won't try to convince anyone to like Bonds, or to like the fact that he's gonna break the record, but some things you just shouldn't do.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
That's funny. I won't try to convince anyone to like Bonds, or to like the fact that he's gonna break the record, but some things you just shouldn't do.

So people should be shielded from criticism if their family is around? Should police officers take back arrest warrants if the kids are home?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
f*** that. I'd boo him walking down the street with his wife and kids.

I'll shoot between. At the park, its about the way he has disrespected the fans and the game - so you betcha I'd boo him. But on the street? No. Out of bounds. Off the field, I don't know him from Adam. My dislike for him is about baseball. So that's the only place I'd boo him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
So people should be shielded from criticism if their family is around? Should police officers take back arrest warrants if the kids are home?

C'mon GP, you're comparing apples to oranges.

But to answer your question, yes I do think there is a time and a place and a way to some handle things.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
Everyone in attendance who was booing him WHILE HIS WIFE AND KIDS WERE THERE, should be kicked in the face.

You have got to be kidding me! If his wife and kids are so delicate then they shouldn't go out in public. My, what a thin skinned culture we have.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
You have got to be kidding me! If his wife and kids are so delicate then they shouldn't go out in public. My, what a thin skinned culture we have.

Even if Bonds is a steroid user, cheater, liar, racist, a-hole, he is still a husband and a father. Part of being a man is to respect that about other men. So, when his wife and kids are at a game to celebrate his accomplishment and some f***ball is booing and giving him the finger, yeah I think that's disrespectful. Obviously, his family is not thin skinned or they wouldn't continue to go to the games. That's not the point.

Disagree if you like.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 02:43 AM)
Even if Bonds is a steroid user, cheater, liar, racist, a-hole, he is still a husband and a father. Part of being a man is to respect that about other men. So, when his wife and kids are at a game to celebrate his accomplishment and some f***ball is booing and giving him the finger, yeah I think that's disrespectful. Obviously, his family is not thin skinned or they wouldn't continue to go to the games. That's not the point.

Disagree if you like.

Well, there is a difference between booing, and then going further and yelling obscenities or threats. Those are probably too far. And certainly, there is no need to direct anything AT his family. That's just classless.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 02:43 AM)

Disagree if you like.

So protesters shouldn't carry signs when a President's First Lady is with him? Prosecutors should keep their rhetoric chill if a man brings his wife into a courtroom? It's exactly what you're saying taken to a different situation.

Listen. Nobody told Bonds to bring his wife and kid to the game. And it's not like Bonds is being given the Aaron treatment.

Bonds is totally fair game at a game for getting boo'ed. If his wife and kid are there, sorry. People pay money to give there opinions and express their feelings.

If Bonds is at the mall with his wife and kid and you say something to ridicule him in front of them, you deserve to get whooped up.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
If they don't help much, then why the hell are players taking them? GMAB. If all it made was a 15% difference he would still be 100 away and probably not setting the record.

Im willing to bet you know absolutely nothing about steroids except for "they're bad".. Steroids will not help you hit the ball, that is still a skill that you have to be able to do on your own, if anything, the bulk that you put on from steroids would hinder that ability. Steroids make your muscles grow, your tendons and ligaments do not.

If they help so much, why is Bonds pretty much the only player who has done anything while "on them". Why isn't Neifi Perez badass? Why did Jason Giambi crumble, yet Bonds has shown no sign of slowing down? What about those 100 or so unnamed players who failed tests in 2003 when they first tested?

QUOTE(Shadows @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
If they help so much, why is Bonds pretty much the only player who has done anything while "on them". Why isn't Neifi Perez badass? Why did Jason Giambi crumble, yet Bonds has shown no sign of slowing down? What about those 100 or so unnamed players who failed tests in 2003 when they first tested?

Because some people react different ways to different drugs and different treatments of any sort. There are some drugs you hope will work in a known way most of the time, but there are always warnings about side effects. Not every person who takes an erectile dysfunction drug goes blind or suffers a heart attack.

In the same way, not every person who overloads on steroids, which btw is an incredibly risky and untested thing to do with who knows what sort of side effects, and on top of it undertakes programs designed to hide the doping from steroid tests, is going to turn into a monster. Not every body type is capable of adding 100 pounds of muscle in 3 years, but some are. Not every steroid works the same way; you can take some steroids like Winstrol, what Raffy was on, to improve things like the strength of the muscle tissue you have and its response abilities without blowing yourself up into a Giambi/Bonds Monster. And beyond that, some people can take steroids, just like any drug, and suffer no reprocussions in the short-term, while others can take those same drugs, and either wind up with a pituitary cancer, or wind up depressed and committing suicide, etc.

Not every person who takes a single steroid turns into Bonds, just the way that not every steroid abuser winds up committing suicide. An awful lot depends on how each particular body reacts to the specific program it was on.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Im willing to bet you know absolutely nothing about steroids except for "they're bad".. Steroids will not help you hit the ball, that is still a skill that you have to be able to do on your own, if anything, the bulk that you put on from steroids would hinder that ability. Steroids make your muscles grow, your tendons and ligaments do not.

Nobody was ever on quite the regiment that Bonds was on. Besides that, nobody was as naturally good as he was nad then bulked.

Combine his natural skill with huge, not-God-given muscles, and you've got a beast. All the steroids in the world won't turn Neifi Perez into Harmon Killebrew -- but if Bonds takes enough, he can be Babe Ruth.

PS: Bonds has crumbled. His body's taken a ton of damage over the last few years. I mean, Giambi's crumbling for a variety of reasons. He's a party boy, and he's a little careless, and he's not as dedicated as Bonds. Per Book of Shadows.