Barry Lamar Bonds

witesoxfan

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought I was the last Arod fan outside of NYC. If the guy hadn't have signed the 252, he would still be universally loved.

Even after the Arroyo slap and yelling "ball!" in Toronto? Not so sure.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats what does it for me. When someone talks about who the best baseball player of all time is, I don't really think there has to be much discussion. Not only was Ruth a Top 5 hitter off all time, he was a fantastic pitcher. He without a doubt is the best BASEBALL PLAYER of all time.

Now if you want to talk about best HITTER of all time, then you could make an argument for numerous players....

You make good points. I think Ruth was a better hitter, because you have to remember that the fences were 400 feet all around back then. Now you go to places like Fenway Park, and it's something like 310 down the right-field line. While many of Barry's HR's have been BOMBS, many have been shots that barely make it. In Ruth's era, those are doubles or outs.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
You make good points. I think Ruth was a better hitter, because you have to remember that the fences were 400 feet all around back then. Now you go to places like Fenway Park, and it's something like 310 down the right-field line. While many of Barry's HR's have been BOMBS, many have been shots that barely make it. In Ruth's era, those are doubles or outs.

Quality of competition; not only were there not any colored players, but there wasn't much for fastballs or breaking balls.

and it was 295 down the right field line, and 350 to right center. It was 490 to centerfield and 460 to left center, which is like impossible to hit out of, no doubt, but don't act like he was hitting in a limitless park. And, with such ridiculous dimensions, I would imagine inside the park homers were a bit more frequent. If you hit a ball that bounces behind the CFer, you have almost no shot to get the runner.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Quality of competition

Thats pretty much all that needs to be said about it

Ide like to see Babe Ruth playing in todays game, he wouldn't be able to do s***

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
Thats pretty much all that needs to be said about it

Ide like to see Babe Ruth playing in todays game, he wouldn't be able to do s***

I'd argue the exact opposite that the talent pool is thinner now due to their being 3 times as many teams with guys on major league rosters who would strugggle to make it in AAA back then.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I'd argue the exact opposite that the talent pool is thinner now due to their being 3 times as many teams with guys on major league rosters who would strugggle to make it in AAA back then.

less then twice as many teams, and yes, that makes a difference. There aren't 48 teams in the majors.

And I'd also argue the exact opposite, I imagine there were players starting back then that wouldn't have made it to AAA now. Ray Schalk, the famed White Sox catcher, had an OPS+ of 83; that's a backup nowadays.

MLB rosters are just absolutely filled with talent now a days.

I think Gwynn might be the better pure hitter, but there is no doubt that Bonds is the most feared hitter and probably one of, if not the best hitters in MLB history.

BTW, when it's all said and done, Ryan Howard (and possibly Prince Fielder) will have more HR's than Bonds, Griffey, Pujols, Rodriguez, etc.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 03:10 AM)
I think Gwynn might be the better pure hitter, but there is no doubt that Bonds is the most feared hitter and probably one of, if not the best hitters in MLB history.

BTW, when it's all said and done, Ryan Howard (and possibly Prince Fielder) will have more HR's than Bonds, Griffey, Pujols, Rodriguez, etc.

You do realize that Ryan Howard is 27 and not 23, right? Is he going to hit 50 homers for 11 straight years? 'Cuz even if he did that, he'd only have 582 homers at age 37. Assuming by the time his career ends someone has 800 homers, he'd not only have to average 50 homers a year for the next 10, but he'd also have to then average 37 homers from age 37 to 43.

It'll never happen.

Hell, Alex Rodriguez is only 4 years older than Ryan Howard, and he's been in the majors 10 more years. That's a ridiculous difference. He started in 1996 all year and put up a .358/.414/.631/1.045 line in - as a 20 year old. He didn't finally legally get drunk until over halfway through the season. By the time Ryan Howard was even drafted, Alex Rodriguez had hit 206 homers.

No, Ryan Howard will never catch Alex Rodriguez, unless Rodriguez gets hurt and ends his career considerably short.

And aren't Pujols and Howard like the same age? Pujols has over 250 homers, or something.

Also, I hate when people jump on players like Howard and Fielder because they're getting blown by the media. Do people honestly think that fatass Fielder is gonna hold up over the long haul? Ha, not gonna happen.

Pujols and A-rod will both have PLENTY more homers in their careers than those two.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
And aren't Pujols and Howard like the same age? Pujols has over 250 homers, or something.

Also, I hate when people jump on players like Howard and Fielder because they're getting blown by the media. Do people honestly think that fatass Fielder is gonna hold up over the long haul? Ha, not gonna happen.

Pujols and A-rod will both have PLENTY more homers in their careers than those two.

Pujols is 2 months younger, so yes, they are basically the same age.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
2HR's and 6 rbi's today. The Giants are headed to Milwaukee for 3 next. I wonder if Bud is booking a flight out of town.. :lolhitting
This actually makes his decision to be at the game much easier. Now he can say he was there for one side, and can say he had no choice to be there for the other side.