Barry Lamar Bonds

witesoxfan

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Please. It's convenient but absurd to ignore the era in which they played. Bonds was an excellent player, often the best in the league. Ruth was a phenomenon. When Bonds outhomers every other team in his league, let me know.

And if he could do it without steroids, I might even consider your argument.

Ok, Ruth was clearly the best player of his ERA.. congratulations, he was better than all white players in the early 1900's. Yeah, he was a phenomenon, again congratulations (AGAIN) that he was the best white player out of a league of white players.

Satchel Paige is regarded as one of the greatest pitchers ever and he was considered, what, the 9th best pitcher in the Negro Leagues? All they needed to do was let black guys play and it would have been game over for the white guys. He was the best player in his era... but in this era, he wouldn't have been s***.. this isn't beer league softball..

Bonds, during his prime, was the most dominating hitter i've ever seen. It's hard for me to hate the guy knowing that much of the other stars in the league were juiced at the time and MLB did nothing to stop it. Is it really bonds everyone should hate for breaking the record? or maybe put some more blame on MLB.

All they needed to do was let black guys play and it would have been game over for the white guys. He was the best player in his era... but in this era, he wouldn't have been s***.. this isn't beer league softball..

Even after MLB integration there have been plenty of great white baseball players, it hasn't really been "game over". But I understand what you are getting at and agree in many ways, but I also think you greatly underestimate the skills of the MLB players back in Ruth's era.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
I've looked it up plenty of times, no need to do it again -- Bonds beats all of them quite easily.

That's fine though -- I can't force you to debate if you don't want to. I just called you on your "assertion" and since you haven't really done a whole lot to prove your side, I think I know that nothing more needs to be said from me.

I'm not looking to "prove" my side, so no, there is no debate here and therefore there's nothing else to say here on the matter.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
Even after MLB integration there have been plenty of great white baseball players, it hasn't really been "game over". But I understand what you are getting at and agree in many ways, but I also think you greatly underestimate the skills of the MLB players back in Ruth's era.

I don't think I am underestimating it at all, its just fact that people are bigger and stronger in this era than they were in the late 1800's to early 1900's.. I don't think any player from back then could cut it now, also, obviously I didn't mean game over in the way you took it, but if it was integrated at Ruths time, I think I can safely say he would not have had the numbers that he does now..

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
And I promise you, Bonds doesn't put up the numbers he's put up now in Babe Ruth's day.

You're right, he wouldn't.. they would more than likely be much better numbers than he has now..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
Ok, Ruth was clearly the best player of his ERA.. congratulations, he was better than all white players in the early 1900's. Yeah, he was a phenomenon, again congratulations (AGAIN) that he was the best white player out of a league of white players.

Satchel Paige is regarded as one of the greatest pitchers ever and he was considered, what, the 9th best pitcher in the Negro Leagues? All they needed to do was let black guys play and it would have been game over for the white guys. He was the best player in his era... but in this era, he wouldn't have been s***.. this isn't beer league softball..

Paige's MLB career was pretty inconsequential (I mean, obviously, in terms of actual production). His real legacy depends almost entirely on his Negro League career.

It's not easy to compare black players to white players. The very first guys were, unsurprisingly, among the best (like Robinson). Others (like Paige) were past their prime. But to claim that all white players were just inferior is completely baseless. When Robinson showed up, he was a GREAT player. But he wasn't in a different league. Ruth was.

If you want to argue that Josh Gibson is better than Ruth, fine. They were both great, and I can't really compare the two. But Bonds is still well behind Ruth in terms of his career, when compared to his peers. That's with the roid-dependent numbers, and I don't think anyone could credibly argue that the big gap could be made up just because of discrimination. Take away the roids and the comparison is laughable.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
I don't think I am underestimating it at all, its just fact that people are bigger and stronger in this era than they were in the late 1800's to early 1900's.. I don't think any player from back then could cut it now

Yea, maybe, but we'll never know. I'll concede todays players are much stronger, atheletic and probably better (as in any sport). It would be really interesting to see the old style of play match up against todays. Just curious, do you also think that guys like Mays, Ted Williams, Banks, Mantle would get dominated by todays players? they weren't that big compared to todays stars.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Paige's MLB career was pretty inconsequential (I mean, obviously, in terms of actual production). His real legacy depends almost entirely on his Negro League career.

It's not easy to compare black players to white players. The very first guys were, unsurprisingly, among the best (like Robinson). Others (like Paige) were past their prime. But to claim that all white players were just inferior is completely baseless. When Robinson showed up, he was a GREAT player. But he wasn't in a different league. Ruth was.

If you want to argue that Josh Gibson is better than Ruth, fine. They were both great, and I can't really compare the two. But Bonds is still well behind Ruth in terms of his career, when compared to his peers. That's with the roid-dependent numbers, and I don't think anyone could credibly argue that the big gap could be made up just because of discrimination. Take away the roids and the comparison is laughable.

Fair enough, but I stand by what I said..

We both have different views about this, nothing wrong with that at all

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
Yea, maybe, but we'll never know. I'll concede todays players are much stronger, atheletic and probably better (as in any sport). It would be really interesting to see the old style of play match up against todays. Just curious, do you also think that guys like Mays, Ted Williams, Banks, Mantle would get dominated by todays players? they weren't that big compared to todays stars.

Maybe not dominated, but I don't think any of them would be as glorified as they are today when their careers were up

I think going to federal prison is prolly a much, much bigger concern than any of that

I never said it wasn't. But in the event that he does go to jail and all that, will he get to the HOF? Will his HR total still remain at 755? Will records he set, like 73 in a season, be erased?

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I never said it wasn't. But in the event that he does go to jail and all that, will he get to the HOF? Will his HR total still remain at 755? Will records he set, like 73 in a season, be erased?

Couldn't tell you, all I know for sure is it will never happen so I guess we will never find out..