KW Speaks about Buehrle's NTC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before, if this is Kenny's idea then he should be fired immediately. He can't build a team with that type of contract? Trade some others away then. Let Contreras go. Get Uribe, Iguchi, and Dye out of here. 14 million a year for a pitcher like Mark Buehrle? I agree with others that think he didn't want to sign Buehrle to begin with and one reason for trading for Danks was to get that lefty. Now that the Sox have Danks they feel good about letting Buehrle go and getting more younger and less expensive pieces in return for him. The only problem with that is you don't know how these younger and less expensive pieces will perform at the major league level. You do know how Buehrle will perform. It sucks that this guy is showing loyalty to this team and this organization is showing NOTHING of the sort in return. This really pisses me off. There are exceptions to everything - if another player comes looking for a no-trade clause from the Sox becuase Buehrle received one, you tell them no, Buehrle is an exception to the rule. That is that. I don't care if Konerko or Garland didn't receive the same thing. It doesn't seem like those were sticking points to getting a deal done. This time it is. This time it is f***ing ridiculous. You have to give in if the other side is giving in. I am really getting turned off by this whole thing.

Edited by southsideirish

KW you are a effing moron. When a pitcher is willing to sign with you for below market value, just give him the damn no trade clause. My god, your arrogrance is way too over the top. And it ain't like we are going to be building a championship team anytime soon.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
KW you are a effing moron. When a pitcher is willing to sign with you for below market value, just give him the damn no trade clause. My god, your arrogrance is way too over the top. And it ain't like we are going to be building a championship team anytime soon.

So why does it matter if Mark is on the team? Because he's a fan favorite?

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why does it matter if Mark is on the team? Because he's a fan favorite?

Because it is much eaiser to build a team back up if you have good stable young pitching. Buehrle, Garland, and Danks all 28 and younger would help this team re-build on the fly in a hurry.

I think KW has a point but I am speaking as a businessman and a manager. If he gives a full no trade clause to Buerhle then more if not all players resigning or free agents coming would want the same thing. He is saying he will not be able to build teams as he will eventually be handcuffed because everyone wants a no trade clause. You can argue both sides but he does not want to set a precedent for the team. I understand that, because baseball loves precedents and the players union and players work off them all the time.

This org has been very paroniod about pitchers for years they gave into a 4th year and quite frankly made a nice offer with a limited no trade clause. They moved from there position, now its time to ship Buehrle out. Companies work from a system and have only little room to make exceptions because it truly effects all other employees of the company. I learned many years ago that liking players means nothing, because quite frankly they could care less about you.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
What a bunch of crap. I'll give Jose a no trade but not Mark because he can't deal with those kind of contracts, WTF is that?

That is not what he did. You have your facts wrong

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
Williams better give in on this or he is going to be hated by Sox fans for years to come.

I don't think he will and I do think he percieves the risk including empty ballparks, but people are much different than 15 years ago. I truly think they know its about money all the time and the best deal. Now this is a bit different because a player actually wants to stay here. It appears he offered a partial no trade clause which is is good.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
Because it is much eaiser to build a team back up if you have good stable young pitching. Buehrle, Garland, and Danks all 28 and younger would help this team re-build on the fly in a hurry.

Exactly right. If you have starting pitching, and I think most would feel good about #1 Buerhle #2 Garland #3 Vazquez #4 Denks #5 Floyd/TBD for next season, they would have a shot provided Kenny was able to find ways to improve the offense/bullpen.

Now, with Buerhle (and Garland not long after) likely to leave, this team is just hoping that every prospect we have comes up and performs well.

I pray that Contreras is moved before the deadline to the Mets. Beyond that, leave the starting staff alone, and find other ways to get the rest of the team better without destroying the rotation, the one strength this team does have.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
What a bunch of crap. I'll give Jose a no trade but not Mark because he can't deal with those kind of contracts, WTF is that?

Another day of throwing s*** on the wall and repeating what happens to stick... <_>

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
I think KW has a point but I am speaking as a businessman and a manager. If he gives a full no trade clause to Buerhle then more if not all players resigning or free agents coming would want the same thing. He is saying he will not be able to build teams as he will eventually be handcuffed because everyone wants a no trade clause. You can argue both sides but he does not want to set a precedent for the team. I understand that, because baseball loves precedents and the players union and players work off them all the time.

This org has been very paroniod about pitchers for years they gave into a 4th year and quite frankly made a nice offer with a limited no trade clause. They moved from there position, now its time to ship Buehrle out. Companies work from a system and have only little room to make exceptions because it truly effects all other employees of the company. I learned many years ago that liking players means nothing, because quite frankly they could care less about you.

I see where KW is coming from to a certain extent, but there are exceptions to every rule or policy. Every player is a different situation, and every player will not ask for a full no-trade clause due to one player getting one. That would also mean every perk one player gets, every other player will ask for, and that is not the case.

However, it does seem like KW was trying to get Buehrle to sign a discounted deal only to trade him for more value before the deadline. If that is the case, and it comes out, no one will want to come to the Sox with KW here. I could also see every potential FA not resigning with the Sox for that same reason. This could really get ugly.

f*** you Kenny Williams. You should lose your job, for christ's sake. You are one of the worst managers ever! You can't go out of your norm one time for a once in a generation type of pitcher? Go to hell. I am sick of your stupid ass bulls***.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
f*** you Kenny Williams. You should lose your job, for christ's sake. You are one of the worst managers ever! You can't go out of your norm one time for a once in a generation type of pitcher? Go to hell. I am sick of your stupid ass bulls***.

Not sure where to start with this post.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
I think the deal presented is pretty fair and at he end of the day one Buerhle should accept.

The Sox gave Contrearas the NTC in the renegotiated deal after the Yanks deal expired.

I'm not sure about fair...unless you are thinking only from the White Sox perspective here. On the open market, Buerhle could add anohter year or two to this deal, and be up past $75 million. The 4 years, 56 million is a great deal for the White Sox. I don't think talks are dead just yet, but it would be a shame for this to end on a no trade clause.

Good luck signing any free agents if you're not going to give NTC. Between this policy and the Boras bulls***, it really makes you wonder how we'll ever get our talent level back up in today's market. I hope KW doesn't think he can build up from the farm system, as that could take like 5 years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
Good luck signing any free agents if you're not going to give NTC. Between this policy and the Boras bulls***, it really makes you wonder how we'll ever get our talent level back up in today's market. I hope KW doesn't think he can build up from the farm system, as that could take like 5 years.

It would also take good scouts and coaches.

KW's becoming an embarrassment and I might be his biggest admirer here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 1, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)

No, the Sox have one more way to get talent: cheap free agents undervalued because injury, etc. Seriously, the thing that is most depressing about the Sox is that they have so limited the way they can acquire talent. I don't know of any other team that does this or is so risk-averse. No Boras clients (draft or FA), no arb offers to FAs that might bring extra picks or could be accepted, no drafting hard signs or players demanding more than slot money, no big FAs signed at "crazy" market price, no pitchers signed longer than 3 years, no keeping guys by giving put NTC for full contract, no keeping guys whose 5/10 rights kick in.

The Sox are counting on brilliant FA signings and a strong minor league system. And this year that strategy has given the Sox Erstad and Andy Gonzalez. The future isn't bright.