International Signing Period Starts Monday

maggsmaggs

On Baseball America, the had an article about some of the best international players and who they were linked to and of course the White Sox to nobody. The cubs to some, Red Sox and Yankees to basically all. Braves/Indians to some, Mariners also. And we wonder why we don't produce international players at all, well because we don't sign any good ones (maybe De Los Santos can change that.)

Honestly the org is too cheap to do so. They don't invest enough money internationally. I remember reading that it was supposed to change and the Sox have had past success in Valenzuela and those type of places but with Ozzie here they should really have more and more success and it hasn't happened.

Its freaking disgusting but I think part of it is that Kenny probably has spent more of his funds on the major league roster and skimped out on the developmental bit (just a guess and I could be completely wrong).

I'm hoping that is changing though as Kenny has apparently put more of a focus on the organization and it seems like he's realized how terrible a job the club has done in that regards.

We have a world series ring to show, but it really doesn't take much than some well spent finances to consistently produce a good farm system.

I knew last week, before anything was released concerning which teams were linked with high profile players, that the Sox weren't going to be anywhere in the discussion. Doesn't surprise me. The White Sox don't outbid anyone for top talent, whether it be the international or national market.

However, that's not to say our or involvement in the region hasn't changed within the last several years. Similar to the amateur draft, there's plenty of talent outside of marquee names commanding top salaries. DLS, for instance. I don't know the exact date he signed or for what amount, but reading accounts of his velocity (coupled with quality statistics as of now), you'd wonder how he wasn't noticed.

All I ask for is an increased presence in the region. Whether it be the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela; wherever. We need to take advantage of a system in which everyone is afforded an equal opportunity. One in which draft position doesn't matter. Yes, New York and Boston are still prominent figures; but I take comfort in knowing any team can sign any player. Winning bids for players rarely exceed one million, which is hardly in comparison to MLB bidding wars.

The Baseball America writer speculates in his chat that the Venezuelan baseball people aren't thrilled with the White Sox due to last winter's situation. In and of itself it may mean nothing. Guillen's input is the White Sox should focus on quantity regarding non draftees since the odds are against many of these guys panning out.

The White Sox do sign a bunch of players from Latin American countries, a glance at Bristol's roster is an indication.

The trick is identifying the sure thing prospects which is the same problem facing other teams.

Does anyone have a complete list of White Sox scouts and their territories? It's always in the media guide but I don't have the 2007 edition.

Well lets look at what some other teams are doing. The Devil Rays have opened an academy in Valencia in Venezuela. Gerry Hunsicker had some success in Latin America with the Astros. He took a page from their book, and hired Carlos Alfonso as Director of International Operations.

Now the big win for the Rays, was their hire of latin scout Andres Reiner. Reiner founded Houstons academy in Venezuela. And here is a list of people that ran through it. Notice any names.

Reiner founded Houston's Venezuela academy that has produced more than 130 professional players, including major-leaguers Bobby Abreu, Richard Hidalgo, Melvin Mora, Carlos Guillen, Freddy Garcia and Johan Santana.

Reiner is the principle advisor to Alfonso. He was hired about a month after Alfonso. This is the type of grass roots effort that pays off in the long run. Throwing money, or one world series doesnt do it. Investment, and hiring the right latin people to handle the day to day business of scouting, developing and signing latin talent.

Now granted Hunsicker had the previous relationship with those two. But we should be looking at the right type of latin operations. Grass root scouting, development, and the proper academies will help our footprint. Houston didnt have a ton of money to throw into latin america, they did it the right way. KW and company need to invest into Latin America, and into Venezuela and make a push.