If KW makes a move, which is the right one?

Clarkdog

Since this is being talked about on a number of threads, I figured I start a thread to bring the braintrust together on the best route to take toward the 7/31 deadline. The fact we are even talking about this is exciting and I think - like in '83 - the right move could propel the Sox to the division title and beyond. So here's the proposition - you get one move. What's it going to be, and justify your reason.

If Shannon Stewart can play CF, I want him. Is solidifies our defense and the top of our order. If not I wouldn't mind us making a run at Roberto Alomar as it makes the middle of our IF D incredible, and it gives us a great #2 hitter. Maybe he can teach Harris and or Jimenez somethings about 2B and how to be a champion.

Guest hotsoxchick1
The only right move KW could make right now would be combined with a Bekins Truck outside his house  ;)

not fair steff. hes already making that move....... ;) ask hahn and eddie e what moves they will be making.. since they are the ones who are gonna be making any at all if there are some to be made......... :D

not fair steff. hes already making that move....... ;) ask hahn and eddie e what moves they will be making.. since they are the ones who are gonna be making any at all if there are some to be made......... :D

He needs to do it faster!!

Paul got the move, too. I can't wait to see the waybill in the system. I check daily!! LOL

Guest hotsoxchick1

Paul got the move, too. I can't wait to see the waybill in the system. I check daily!! LOL

lol add a few pounds for good measure....... ;)

No discount off tariff either!!

Full price baby!

Guest hotsoxchick1
Is Hahn a guy who will be sticking around if KW leaves?  Who brought him in?

dont know if he will be sticking around after the kw departure... hes been here in the asst. gm spot since 2002...he was director of major league admin before that and came here in 2000...before that he was with a law firm that reps. players from mlb and the national basketball association......... cant say i see him filling kw's shoes on his own anytime soon but you never know.. he may be smooching jr's ass as we speak...... :huh: ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1

No discount off tariff either!!

Full price baby!

:headbang :headbang you go girl :headbang :headbang ,... leave the thumb on the scale and press down firmly.......lol...... ;)

Lots of talk about guys like Ponson, Alomar, Castillo, etc. floating around.

I think our need centers around help up the middle and and overall team speed. I like the idea of Alomar, but he's got a hefty contract, and his best years may be behind him. His numbers are projecting lower for 2003.

I think a deal with the Marlins may have what we need to get over the hump.

White Sox to Marlins:

Danny Wright

Aaron Rowand

D'Angelo Jimenez

Marlins to White Sox:

Juan Pierre

Luis Castillo

The rationale for this deal is based upon the Marlins desire to reduce salary while being able to keep Mike Lowell. Lowell is going to demand a big payday a year from now, but Castillo's contract is up before his. I don't think the Marlins are going to deal Lowell to anyone - he's a keeper. In addition, the Marlins have lost three of thier frontline starters and would likely smile on a deal that brought MLB experience to the mound.

For the Sox, you get a great pair of table setters for your 3-6 hitters. looking at the stats DJ's number may be similar to Castillo, but I think the intangible of DJ's laziness/lack of concentration cant be ignored. Plus I love Pierre, he's a real leadoff hitter and an improvement in CF. I love Rowand and his hustle, but we need contact and speed at the top of the lineup. In this deal I also thought about Willie Harris as a substitue for DJ or Rowand, but if Castillo departs in 2004, you still have Willie who then can play 2B, and it allows you to bring up Miles in 2004 to compete with him for the job.

I think our need centers around help up the middle and and overall team speed. I like the idea of Alomar, but he's got a hefty contract, and his best years may be behind him. His numbers are projecting lower for 2003.

White Sox to Marlins:

Danny Wright

Aaron Rowand

D'Angelo Jimenez

Marlins to White Sox:

Juan Pierre

Luis Castillo

The rationale for this deal is based upon the Marlins desire to reduce salary while being able to keep Mike Lowell. Lowell is going to demand a big payday a year from now, but Castillo's contract is up before his. I don't think the Marlins are going to deal Lowell to anyone - he's a keeper. In addition, the Marlins have lost three of thier frontline starters and would likely smile on a deal that brought MLB experience to the mound.

For the Sox, you get a great pair of table setters for your 3-6 hitters. looking at the stats DJ's number may be similar to Castillo, but I think the intangible of DJ's laziness/lack of concentration cant be ignored. Plus I love Pierre, he's a real leadoff hitter and an improvement in CF. I love Rowand and his hustle, but we need contact and speed at the top of the lineup.  In this deal I also thought about Willie Harris as a substitue for DJ or Rowand, but if Castillo departs in 2004, you still have Willie who then can play 2B, and it allows you to bring up Miles in 2004 to compete with him for the job.

I like the rationale behind this deal.......and I would do it in less than the time it takes old roman to have sex with 15 girls in school on top of the lunch lady......however I think that the Marlins would want to substitute Garland for Wright....and I wouldnt be willing to do that.

and I would do it in less than the time it takes old roman to have sex with 15 girls in school on top of the LUNCH LADY......however I think that the Marlins would want to substitute Garland for Wright....and I wouldnt be willing to do that.

Thanks murc. I might never have sex again. :puke

And if they wanted Garland instead of Wright, Id still do it...

White Sox to Marlins:

Danny Wright

Aaron Rowand

D'Angelo Jimenez

Marlins to White Sox:

Juan Pierre

Luis Castillo

For the Sox, you get a great pair of table setters for your 3-6 hitters. looking at the stats DJ's number may be similar to Castillo, but I think the intangible of DJ's laziness/lack of concentration cant be ignored. Plus I love Pierre, he's a real leadoff hitter and an improvement in CF. I love Rowand and his hustle, but we need contact and speed at the top of the lineup.  In this deal I also thought about Willie Harris as a substitue for DJ or Rowand, but if Castillo departs in 2004, you still have Willie who then can play 2B, and it allows you to bring up Miles in 2004 to compete with him for the job.

I love this idea, and I think it's well within the scope of reality. I think FLA would want another minor-league arm in addition to those guys, which I'd have no problem with. How is Pierre's defense? He can't possibly have an arm, He looks like an anorexic Tom Goodwin.

I think that would be an awesome trade. We strengthen two weak spots in CF and 2B. Who would leadoff? Id definitely say Pierre leading off and Castillo behind him. Pierre has 35 steals and Castillo has 14. Id definitely have Pierre leading off. This would be an awesome trade...

In response - I don't know if I would be willing to sub Garland for Wright in this deal. I think the upside on Garland is too high, he starting to show why he was a #1 pick.

In terms of another minor league arm, I'd consider it but only for a mid-level prospect. If I'm the Sox, I lose Castillo at the end of the season, so I only net Pierre and a compensatoiry draft pick. That draft pick could make of for the loss of the prospect and some of the other players.

As for Pierre's defense - from ESPN:

Pierre struggled in center field when he first came up, but he has addressed his shortcomings and has worked hard to become a solid center fielder. His arm strength is well below average. He's never going to have a rocket, though he's made strides in quickening his release and getting to balls quicker to slow down baserunners.

Who replaces Wright (I would not move Garland)? I'd go with Josh Stewart. When it comes to holes in the ballclub, I rather be stronger up the middle and on the basepaths everyday than have a good 5th starter.

As for this deal being a pipe dream, it may be. But the Marlins need to make a choice: Castillo or Lowell. My feeling is they want to keep Lowell and would look to reduce salary in other areas to keep him long term and sign him to a extension or in this offseason. At the same time, they're going to want something for Castillo rather than lose him to free agency. In Wright, Jimenez, and Rowand, they address needs in pitching and lowered payroll and fill the gaps left by Pierre and Castillo.