Bush commutes Scooter Libby

Rex Kickass

And they said John Kerry was the Flip-Flopper.....

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/07/...of_the_day.html

"Why is the President flip-flopping? Why does Scooter Libby get special treatment?"

-- Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE), noting that just last year, the Bush administration filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the Supreme Court in an attempt to uphold a lower court's ruling that a 33 month prison sentence for Victor Rita, who was convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice, was reasonable.

Bush commuted Libby's prison sentence of 30 months for perjery and obstruction of justice yesterday because it was "excessive."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
And the liberals on this board rival my 8 year old for b****ing and whining about the eeevil Chimpy McBus***ler. He will be gone in less than 2 years, he can't get re-elected, get on with your lives. Both sides f*** up, both sides have nothing but contempt for the voters and both sides suck.

Honestly, for all the whining liberals do about the Bush administration - at least its a current administration. The amount of time Bill Clinton's presidency still comes up around here, you'd think he'd still be schtupping Monica in the Oval Office right now.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Honestly, for all the whining liberals do about the Bush administration - at least its a current administration. The amount of time Bill Clinton's presidency still comes up around here, you'd think he'd still be schtupping Monica in the Oval Office right now.

The best justification for current bad behavior is past bad behavior by someone else. We're not accountable to be good, only not worse than what our predecessors were. . .

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)

You're wrong. I could care less about Monica and Bill. But for all the darts that you all want to throw, just 6-7 years ago, it was all fine. That's the only reason it gets brought up, well that and Hillary wants to be president again.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
You're wrong. I could care less about Monica and Bill. But for all the darts that you all want to throw, just 6-7 years ago, it was all fine. That's the only reason it gets brought up, well that and Hillary wants to be president again.

No one here has said it was all fine. And I know I sure as hell wasn't saying it was all fine.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)

Heh. Just caught that. Nice.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
And the liberals on this board rival my 8 year old for b****ing and whining about the eeevil Chimpy McBus***ler. He will be gone in less than 2 years, he can't get re-elected, get on with your lives. Both sides f*** up, both sides have nothing but contempt for the voters and both sides suck.

Very cognoscente point.

As you said, he's still around. And he's still going to be one of the worst Presidents this nation ever sees (hopefully) for two more years.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
But...but...it's ALWAYS different.

Clinton got a blowjob

The Democrats voted for the war in Iraq too!

Yes, because the history books are going to talk about the war belonging to congressional Democrats too...

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
The best justification for current bad behavior is past bad behavior by someone else. We're not accountable to be good, only not worse than what our predecessors were. . .

So are you honestly telling me the next Democratic President will not have his backers talking about how bad the Bush administration was? Not a chance. They'll throw that out there every chance they get.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:14 AM)
So are you honestly telling me the next Democratic President will not have his her backers talking about how bad the Bush administration was? Not a chance. They'll throw that out there every chance they get.

Fixed that for you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
So are you honestly telling me the next Democratic President will not have his backers talking about how bad the Bush administration was? Not a chance. They'll throw that out there every chance they get.

Oh, they'll do it. But that doesn't make it right.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
What would it take to really fix politics today and get away from this stuff? By the way, that's a serious question.

Fire them all? Start over? Repeat every 4-6 years? Shorten terms? Impose term limits? Get away from scare tactics? Have smarter voters that can see through bulls***?

It's hard because I don't think it's just the politicians that are the problem. If it was, they would just get voted out. Instead, they find people to buy their bulls*** hook line and sinker. I think we've also (both sides) gotten away from actual issues and have plummeted into politics of scare tactics. Either we're told "The terrorists are gonna get us" or that "Our freedoms are being taken away."

Of course, the people that could actually reform politics are either unelectable (see Dennis Kucinich) or don't want to get caught up in all that crap.

Cut the pay down to expenses plus $50,000 per year, then you get rid of all the lifers. Oh, and cancel the special pension plan they get as well, put them in social security like the rest of us poor schmucks. That also needs to be done an a state level here in Illinois, as the pension plan here is one of the most generous in the nation. No wonder the state is in such a mess.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
Fire them all? Start over? Repeat every 4-6 years? Shorten terms? Impose term limits? Get away from scare tactics? Have smarter voters that can see through bulls***?

It's hard because I don't think it's just the politicians that are the problem. If it was, they would just get voted out. Instead, they find people to buy their bulls*** hook line and sinker. I think we've also (both sides) gotten away from actual issues and have plummeted into politics of scare tactics. Either we're told "The terrorists are gonna get us" or that "Our freedoms are being taken away."

Of course, the people that could actually reform politics are either unelectable (see Dennis Kucinich) or don't want to get caught up in all that crap.

Ah would that be nice.

The term "unelectable" bugs me more and more as I get older. Basically they use that term to smear anyone who doesn't march to party line orders. I would so love to see a middle of the ground third party emerge, and this day and age is the perfect time. The moderate platform is so open for the taking right now. Its open like never before in my lifetime.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
Ah would that be nice.

The term "unelectable" bugs me more and more as I get older. Basically they use that term to smear anyone who doesn't march to party line orders. I would so love to see a middle of the ground third party emerge, and this day and age is the perfect time. The moderate platform is so open for the taking right now. Its open like never before in my lifetime.

Well, that's pretty much what it means. I think the two parties in this country are so strong they can smear people really effectively. Essentially, the voters have a VERY small choice in who goes into office--the parties hold a much stronger sway. Look at the presidential candidates. Not necessarily what the large voting bloc wants to choose from, but those are our options.

So many things that could be better... but its important to note that a lot of the problems are not the politicians at all - its the fact that most people don't vote or only vote for Presidential elections. And worse, they choose to remain uninformed. That frustrates me almost as much as what our politicians are doing.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
Well, that's pretty much what it means. I think the two parties in this country are so strong they can smear people really effectively. Essentially, the voters have a VERY small choice in who goes into office--the parties hold a much stronger sway. Look at the presidential candidates. Not necessarily what the large voting bloc wants to choose from, but those are our options.

I would NEVER have voted for George W. Bush if it weren't for Al Gore or John Kerry.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Bill Richardson were to somehow emerge as the nominee, given who has thrown their hat into the ring as of now, he'd get my vote.

My personal disdain for "Democrats" are those who cowtow to the party line, much like you're all alluding to. You know, if Ross Perot ran today, I think he'd win, as scary as that is. I used to pass his ranch every day on the way to work. He owns one about two miles up the road from where live. He has buffalo grazing in the pastures...

Anyway, back to the subject... the far right and the far left run things now, except for Georgw W., who frankly is in his own little dips*** bubble right now. For as right as I think he was on the war, and I still support the position, because there's no other choice now, he's a total dumbass on just about everything else, and if you notice, the base be damned. For once, the base was right (immigration), but how in the hell do we break this cycle? What's scary is, we have Mrs. Bill Clinton running for president again, and I'm not sure she can be stopped, so the cynicism continues.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)

Bull. Voters have a much larger role today than 100 years ago, when conventions were actually meaningful, speeches were read in the newspaper, and television was unknown. FDR would NEVER be elected today -- precisely because the voters would know what he looked like and they would know he uses a wheelchair.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
What would it take to really fix politics today and get away from this stuff? By the way, that's a serious question.

100% public financing for all campaigns.

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/pos...TBkMTc0YjRlNTc=

This Man Knows How to Jab at the Clintons

A very good line before GOP audiences:

[Fred] Thompson also commented on his and Matalin's role in aiding Scooter Libby, saying, "I didn't know Scooter, but I knew an injustice when I saw one, and wasn't afraid to say so." He continued by joking, "If nothing else, we've apparently convinced the Clintons that it really is a bad thing to lie under oath," — to which he received heavy applause from the crowd.

Is anybody else eager to see Fred get in the debates?

I like Fred Thompson - a lot. The guy is a straight shooter, something we desparately need. Of course, the Democrat war machine is going to take everything he's done for the past 50 years and regurgitate how much he's a flaming idiot, but meh, it's the same old s***.