Howard to Participate in HR Derby

kageman129

QUOTE(kageman129 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Howard in HR Derby

Am I the only one that thinks it isn't fair at all that someone who wasn't selected to the All-Star Team is in the HR Derby? Sure, he is the reigning champion, but I always thought this was a game for just the All-Stars to be in . . . Just wondering how everyone else feels about it.

Why does an All Star have to be in the HR Derby?

Also, don't you think it wouldn't be fair to deny him the chance to defend his title?

Edited by Shadows

I'm not that big on the HR Derby anymore, but I've always thought it was just for All-Stars to do. Maybe I'm wrong :huh . . .

And I understand he was last year's winner so defend his crown and all that, but still. Just thought I'd see what others thought.

I like the derby and watching them sail in to the bay will be especialy fun this year, IMO. It's a very popular "in person" event. Tickets are scalping for more to the derby than to the actual game this year.

I'd love to see this lineup, assuming five players per side:

NL:

Howard

Dunn

Bonds

Fielder

Griffey

AL:

Thome

A-Rod

Morneau

Vlad

Jack Cust comedy option!

God, lefties are murdering the ball this year home run wise.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to see this lineup, assuming five players per side:

NL:

Howard

Dunn

Bonds

Fielder

Griffey

AL:

Thome

A-Rod

Morneau

Vlad

Jack Cust comedy option!

God, lefties are murdering the ball this year home run wise.

Perfect lineup :cheers

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
I think it should include the best home run hitters whether thye are All-Stars or not just to keep it interesting.

Even with his horrible start to the season Howard is one of the better sluggers in the game and deserves to be there. I'm glad he'll be there and I think the Derby should year in year out have the best power hitters out there cause thats what makes the event fun.

I could make an example comparing this to the way the nba handles a similar situation. The nba never cared if players were allstars with the 3pt and dunk contest and I agree, we would have never seen the likes of Steve Kerr, Craig Hodges, Harold Miner and JR Rider display simply great performances. MLB should not limit themselves, I will be more likely to tune in with Howard there. He is good at his craft and the reigning champ.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
How bout Mr. LTP himself, Joe Borchard? All he does is hit the occasional ball very far. Seems like the perfect situation for him.

I mentioned him a bit earlier. He'd put on a show.