FutureSox Interview: Gio Gonzalez

Heads22

FutureSox sits down with 2007 Southern League All-Star

Interview Conducted by Barons Media Director Paul Kennedy

Gio Gonzalez is already well traveled as a young prospect. Originally nabbed as a supplemental pick in the 2004 draft, Gio has been noted as a lefty with a higher-than-average ceiling. Traded to Philadelphia in a deal for Jim Thome and reacquired in a deal with Freddy Garcia, Gio is happy to be back in the Sox organization.

MORE...

---

There ya go. Again, deepest thanks to Paul for putting up with us. The Egbert interview will be up in a few days or a week or whenever I decide it goes up. :cheers

I like this:

When you look into the future of your career, do you see yourself as the Ace of the staff? If not, what role do you think you will play?

I see myself helping the White Sox win another World Series.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
BTW, here's a sneak preview of the Eggy interview:

Does anyone here know, who has met him personally, whether he speaks in the stereotypical Staten Island accent? That would only heighten my appreciation of Egbert.

It's great that Soxtalk has the opportunity to interview these players. Interesting to know what prospects such as Gonzalez think of themselves and their ability. Aside from that, always good to have connections within the organization. As long as the attention doesn't bring with it censorship, then I'm fine. :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
Hey Flash...mgmt has contacted us and said that we can not continually allow you to slam the organizatoins minor league policy and as such you have now been banned from posting.

;)

/removes shirt

What you do want to do?

You can't kill the message. Where's our {insert name} will go far beyond my internet death.

:D

Sorry, this isn't any fault of you guys, but I hate interviews like that.

Where it's just question, really short answer, no follow-ups, on to next question. You don't get to learn too much about the person being interviewed.

Obviously you guys take submitted questions from the board, but I'm just sayin'...

Ya its hard. We do some interviews over the phone some are transcribed by 3rd parties so it can be difficult. The Egbert one is much better and gives you more of an idea as to who Egbert is.

It also just depends on the player, sometimes you get guys that will talk your hear off (Sean Tracey is a great example of this type of interview) and other times you get the very quiet players that you have to really try to push into saying much more than a sentence or two answer.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Sorry, this isn't any fault of you guys, but I hate interviews like that.

Where it's just question, really short answer, no follow-ups, on to next question. You don't get to learn too much about the person being interviewed.

Obviously you guys take submitted questions from the board, but I'm just sayin'...

WE'RE DOING THE BEST WE CAN, DAMMIT!

Sometimes the only way to get iinterviews is through the team's media office. That's what happened with Gio and Eggy. We're taking what we can get.

Phone or in-face interviews are always the best, but we don't get very many opportunities to do so for several reasons:

1) We're all living our own lives. I've done the most interviews of anyone on FutureSox, and outside of a trip we took in 2004(?), I've done only two interviews on the phone (Broadway and Honel). This year it's almost impossible for me to do any work (I really like just doing interviews and then writing a story about it) because I'm in Germany. I return home next month thankfully, so that means I'll have the opportunity to question more players if the opportunity arises. Jason works full time now and Heads is too busy basically picking up for lazy ass Jason (and everyone else). Heads also attends university full time. I'll be honest, I'm surprised we even get anything done. It's a real testament for Jason, Heads and the rest of the guys who work their ass off with the little time that they have.

2) Almost no player wants to take time out of their schedule and talk to us. I got really, really lucky with Broadway and Honel, especially Lance, but the opportunities just don't come to us unless we're there at the park. Since none of us are close to the parks, outside of me and Birmingham, it makes it even more difficult. And even with me, it would take me 8 hours just to get to Mobile and interview some of the guys. I would then have to pay for a hotel room, food, gas and everything else because we do this because we love minor league baseball (and the sluts, of course).

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
Phone or in-face interviews are always the best, but we don't get very many opportunities to do so for several reasons:

1) We're all living our own lives. I've done the most interviews of anyone on FutureSox, and outside of a trip we took in 2004(?), I've done only two interviews on the phone (Broadway and Honel). This year it's almost impossible for me to do any work (I really like just doing interviews and then writing a story about it) because I'm in Germany. I return home next month thankfully, so that means I'll have the opportunity to question more players if the opportunity arises. Jason works full time now and Heads is too busy basically picking up for lazy ass Jason (and everyone else). Heads also attends university full time. I'll be honest, I'm surprised we even get anything done. It's a real testament for Jason, Heads and the rest of the guys who work their ass off with the little time that they have.

2) Almost no player wants to take time out of their schedule and talk to us. I got really, really lucky with Broadway and Honel, especially Lance, but the opportunities just don't come to us unless we're there at the park. Since none of us are close to the parks, outside of me and Birmingham, it makes it even more difficult. And even with me, it would take me 8 hours just to get to Mobile and interview some of the guys. I would then have to pay for a hotel room, food, gas and everything else because we do this because we love minor league baseball (and the sluts, of course).

Always the sluts.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
Always the sluts.

Definitely the sluts...

No, but seriously, Cerb is right. Getting the opportunity to interview Lucas Harrell and Adam Russell last summer was awesome. I've tried to hook up other interviews, and though at first got a good initial response, nothing ever materialized b/c these players are busy too. With both Russell and Harrell, we talked on the phone for like 45 minutes (mainly b/c they're great interviews) during their interviews and that's a long time considering these guys have practice and a lot of other things to do in their spare time. I mean, Harrell made his AA debut just a few hours after we talked. I was amazed that he even wanted to take that much time to chat with us.