Gavin Floyd Recalled

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
Ozzie said he doesn't want to call someone up for a start and then send them right back down. He doesn't think it would be fair to Floyd. Maybe today or tomorrow is the day the trigger is going to be pulled on some other moves.

Yep, Masset was available to start tomorrow, but they're going with Floyd instead. I'd say there's about a 75 pct chance now that one of our starting pitchers is traded in the next 5 days.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
Yep, Masset was available to start tomorrow, but they're going with Floyd instead. I'd say there's about a 75 pct chance now that one of our starting pitchers is traded in the next 5 days.

I wonder which starter this might be? Is anyone involved in stalled contract negotiations?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
I wonder which starter this might be? Is anyone involved in stalled contract negotiations?

Haha. Well lets hope we can dump JC for a bag of balls.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Gavin pitch and I hope he really does need to stay up here the rest of the season, we need to see what we got in him. I know everyone is expecting a huge rebuilding year out of the Sox next season but if Floyd can at least prove he can be a solid 5th starter this season and we do reup with Mark then I really believe we have a chance to compete next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)

I'd personally go higher than 75%.

Wow, an actual White Sox game to be excited about.

I think this move with the other KW comments about seeing the young guys get an "extended opportunity" might be the flag going up on the season. So hopefully we will get some resolution on MB, JC and others by the time Floyd starts.

I just hope he pitches well and makes the Garcia trade worthwhile, except for getting Gio back.

Everyone here seems excited to see him pitch, including me. I just don't want to be let down. AAA numbers sometimes are deceiving.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Phillies fans must be laughing that White Sox fans are excited to see Gavin Floyd pitch. Although when he was with the Phillies, White Sox fans would have been excited to see him pitch against the White Sox.

I don't think any of them are laughing. I talked to one the other day. Its pretty much universally accepted that the Sox fleeced the Phillies in that trade, even if Floyd never becomes anything great.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Phillies fans must be laughing that White Sox fans are excited to see Gavin Floyd pitch. Although when he was with the Phillies, White Sox fans would have been excited to see him pitch against the White Sox.

Are these the same Phillies fans who were excited about seeing fastball freddy save their playoff hopes this year. Now thats funny.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
What were Gavin's final numbers in AAA?

7-3, 3.10 ERA, 93.0IP, 31BB, 80K, .245 BAA, 1.26WHIP

Those numbers pale in comparison to how good he has pitched since June 5th:

4-0, 1.69 ERA, 1.01WHIP, 42.2IP, 28H, 8ER, 15BB, 39K

He obviously figured something out, and since that point he has been very effective.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
I'd like to see him throw down :bringit about four wins in a row and send Jose to the bullpen.

How about we just send Jose packing now? We can't keep that 10 million a year pricetag in the bullpen.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't think any of them are laughing. I talked to one the other day. Its pretty much universally accepted that the Sox fleeced the Phillies in that trade, even if Floyd never becomes anything great.

I'm not talking about the trade. A bag of used balls would have been a good return on Garcia as it turns out. Phillies fans found Floyd to be painful to watch.

Floyd will stay and Day might not get activated right away as he may need some rehab time at Charlotte. In the meantimne a starter, most likely Contreras gets traded and we will see what develops from there. Floyd probably gets his spot. The Richar kid might get a call up too to replace someone else. You never know.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Floyd will stay and Day might not get activated right away as he may need some rehab time at Charlotte. In the meantimne a starter, most likely Contreras gets traded and we will see what develops from there. Floyd probably gets his spot. The Richar kid might get a call up too to replace someone else. You never know.

Day has been rehabing. In his 3 games in rehab so far, he has allowed no runs or hits, 2 walks, and has struck out 5. He's probably ready.