Bears were hosed in Super Bowl

The Raiders learned Tuesday that recently acquired running back Dominic Rhodes has been suspended by the NFL for violating its substance-abuse policy and won't be available for the first four regular-season games.

Rhodes, 28, signed a two-year, $7.5 million contract with the Raiders on March 9, less than two months after playing a pivotal role in the Indianapolis Colts' Super Bowl victory over the Chicago Bears.

Rhodes is expected to split time with Raiders incumbent starter LaMont Jordan. Rhodes rushed for 306 yards in the Colts' postseason games, including a game-high 113 yards in the Super Bowl.

His suspension begins Aug. 31 and extends through Oakland's game against the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 30. Rhodes won't be paid for the four games he misses, costing him $352,941 of his $1.5 million base salary.

The suspension means Rhodes is a repeat offender of the league's substance-abuse policy. Another violation would result in Rhodes receiving a one-year suspension.

Now obviously Rhodes alone was not the reason the Bears lost, but he was a huge factor in the Colts win.

Who knows how the game would have turned out if he was not plowing over Bears defenders in a juiced up rage. You take out his 113 yards, 1st down runs, touchdown, etc and that is a whole new ballgame. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but it kinda sucks to hear something like this after such a bitter loss.

The odd thing was I even mentioned to some friends watching the game how much better Rhodes looked than his numbers. We all thought it was the Bears D, and now we know. He had more carries (21) in the SB than in any other game in 2006, and his YPC was up from 3.4 to 5.4.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
I think you're making too much out of it. "Juiced up rage"? You're reaching. :lol: If Rex could catch the ball from the center, we might have won.
I am sorry, I didn't want to put the whole thing in green, and I thought the juiced up rage was pretty funny.

I don't think it's a reach. It would be a BIGGER story if it were baseball related and the red sox lost to the mets in the 2007 world series because (insert any slugger here) was caught the following year and was a key reason the mets won the series.

I think it helps the athlete a hell of a lot more in football compared to baseball, but it is more scrutinized in baseball.