MacDougal on DL

elrockinMT

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
Didn't see this posted yet, but www.chisox.com reports Mac has a sore shoulder and went on the DL and Day has been reinsttaed. Day pitched a rehab at Charlotte and had 3 scoreless innings before being brought back up.

Is this the same type of mystery injury Politte had last year?

Hopefully Day is healthy.

Phantom injury or actual concern?

I don't know anymore. Furthermore, I suppose I don't care.

Day looked like absolute meat when he was up with the Sox and MacDougal has looked like a shell of his former self.

But, because bullpens are such a year-to-year phenomenon, I'm really not worried about MacDougal--all signs point towards him being able to right the ship at some point.

It strikes me as ironic that Kenny will extend an oft-injured bullpen pitcher like McDougal for three years, but refuses to give MB the NTC in his contract. Note to Sox, there are many other ways that you can dole out stupid contracts other than giving players the NTC that Buehrle is seeking. (For additional stupid contracts, see Jose Contreras)

When Mac was sent back down he was feeling fine, but they sent him down cause he's lost a lot of confidence. He still has had the stuff but I have noticed he hasn't been used as much as of late so maybe his shoulder is a bit sore to the point that he can't pitch on a consistent basis.

I'd rather make sure Mac is healthy because i still feel he could be a very valuable piece via trade (if he comes off the DL and throws a couple good games he could get the Sox a nice piece) or a key part to the pen next year (yes I still would count on him next season).

To me, MacDougal is too high maintenance. Lost confidence, bad mechanics, an iffy shoulder, what's next.

Seeing as he's signed to a reasonable contract and teams still like his so called power arm, I hope they get him somewhat healthy and trade him to a bullpen desperate contender. Get something back for this guy and move on.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
When Mac was sent back down he was feeling fine, but they sent him down cause he's lost a lot of confidence. He still has had the stuff but I have noticed he hasn't been used as much as of late so maybe his shoulder is a bit sore to the point that he can't pitch on a consistent basis.

I'd rather make sure Mac is healthy because i still feel he could be a very valuable piece via trade (if he comes off the DL and throws a couple good games he could get the Sox a nice piece) or a key part to the pen next year (yes I still would count on him next season).

Isn't he out of options ? Maybe they are just sick of his act, and want to make sure everything looks good with his arm/shoulder.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't he out of options ? Maybe they are just sick of his act, and want to make sure everything looks good with his arm/shoulder.

No he is not out of options. They already optioned him once this year which means he had at least one left. He can be called up and sent down at any point this year. The option is good for the whole season.

Edited by 29thandPoplar

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
No he is not out of options. They already optioned him once this year which means he had at least one left. He can be called up and sent down at any point this year. The option is good for the whole season.

Don't mean to question you, but I didn't think the option was for the season, I think it's the number of times a player can be sent back to the minors.

Can this be confirmed by someone ?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Don't mean to question you, but I didn't think the option was for the season, I think it's the number of times a player can be sent back to the minors.

He is right. The option is for the year. Floyd used an option earlier this year, when he was optioned to AAA. He can go up and down all they want this season. Next year, Floyd will be out of options and they will have to expose him to waivers if they want to send him down.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)

A player gets three option. If a player gets optioned at some point during a season, he can be called up or sent down at anytime during that season. It does not carry over and if you want to option the same person in a different year, you have to use another option.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
I know this is an injury, but to me this might be another hint that a deal of one of our starting pitchers is imminent.

If that is the case then I can only see Javy or Garland moved.

We aren't getting any good offers for Mark since everyone is afraid of him walking out as a rental.

The other guy on the block, Contreras, can NOT be interesting to anyone. Dude appears washed up. At best, he'll return a lower tier prospect.

Garland and Javy are easily our two most valuable pitchers. I know the Met guy likes Javy, but I don't see Javy or Garland dealt at all and if so, much closer to the deadline.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)

An option is good for the entire baseball season. So he can go back and forth for the rest of the year.