White Sox vs. Twins, 7/07/07 (W)

Brian

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Are you being serious? That is ridiculous to say.

Location on the fastball, back door slider, great change-up, good curveball, and works fast. Yes, I'm serious.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
Are you being serious? That is ridiculous to say.

If you think that Garland has better stuff than Buerhle then I think you are silly. Jon throws harder yes.

but overall stuff, its not even close.

If the Sox do not re-sign Buehrle due to the NTC, can we then ban any post that states the Sox will try to sign any marquee player like Ichiro, ARod, Zambrano, etc.? in today's day and age, you're not getting a good player in free agency without a NTC.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Location on the fastball, back door slider, great change-up, good curveball, and works fast. Yes, I'm serious.

Location and works fast isn't stuff... Mark Buehrle has very mediocre stuff, but with him being such a good pitcher, he gets by on it. I don't disagree with that. But when you look at pure stuff, Garland has the edge, by far.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
Do you see me disagreeing with that? Buehrle is what Hawk would call a pitcher. He goes out there, attacks hitters, and gets outs. But if you look at pure stuff, Garland has the edge.

Currently 1-9 Devil Rays pitcher Edwin Jackson EASILY has better raw stuff than Greg Maddux ever did in his wildest dreams. Stuff isn't everything.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)

Lets just take their best pitch when its on. Buerhles cutter > Garlands sinker. Buerhles cutter handcuffs righties. Garland doesnt throw a true turbo sinker that just gets groundballs like crazy. They still get the ball in the air a lot on Garland.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Thome does not hit lefties, but they have the heart of the order up and Thome could easily still make it 5-0. That is beyond inexcuseable to be picked off.

It's a given....any game in which we have a lead in the 8th inning, we'll have the runner caught stealing with 2 outs. I forget who keeps saying that on here, but it's so accurate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Neither Garland or Buehrle has textbook great stuff. And if you ask a scout, they'd say Garland has the better stuff. Of course, I'm sure our scouts would tell you Garland throws 94 mph with a dynamite change.

I'd tend to agree, there's a reason Garland has been higher rated coming up as a prospect...not necessarily because he is a better pitcher but based on pure stuff it could be argued Garland has better. That has nothing to do on how good of a pitcher they are but im just saying it's 'iffy' to me who would be rated higher on the basis of pure 'stuff'

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
It just makes me sick to think we probably wont be seeing any more of this for the next 4 years because KW wont give in to 18 months of a NTC...i really hope someone rips him a new one at SoxFest next year

Wait, it's only 18 months?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
Lets just take their best pitch when its on. Buerhles cutter > Garlands sinker. Buerhles cutter handcuffs righties. Garland doesnt throw a true turbo sinker that just gets groundballs like crazy. They still get the ball in the air a lot on Garland.

Agreed. I totally forgot about the cutter.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
Wait, it's only 18 months?

Everybody keeps debating it, but Buehrle will have been a White Sox for exactly 10 years in July of 2010, at which point he becomes a 10 and 5. So yes, it's a year and a half IMO.

And Jenks, if he holds this, would have his 70th regular season save as a White Sox in 78 chances.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
Currently 1-9 Devil Rays pitcher Edwin Jackson EASILY has better raw stuff than Greg Maddux ever did in his wildest dreams. Stuff isn't everything.

Where did I ever say anything like this?

All I am saying is that some teams would rather have Garland because he has better stuff and is a good pitcher. Buehrle is a great pitcher, but with mediocre stuff. I personally think Garland is better overall, but people can make arguements for both. I like them both and would want to keep both. But I am looking at this from a GM's point of view.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
It just makes me sick to think we probably wont be seeing any more of this for the next 4 years because KW wont give in to 18 months of a NTC...i really hope someone rips him a new one at SoxFest next year

Soxfest will be interesting this year.

How does an NTC handcuff you on a pitcher that is signing under market.

Why is Greg still employed.

What is being done in our minor leagues to fix the mess of not preparing our boys to compete at the major league level.

What are you going to do to put out the fire brigade of gascans in the pen.