Mark Buehrle Agrees to 4-yr, 56 mil with escalator clause

Brian

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This made my day. Awesome news. Managing a split after losing those two footbal games was nice, but not as nice as MB being signed.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah, I know. But the work will have to be done eventually anyway. It's not all that hard to change the names and info but it's a b**** to put the thing together.

Seriously, very handy. Thanks for doing it.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
Take that, all you whiners and know-it-alls who were calling for KW's head over a bunch of unsubstantiated reports from unnamed sources.

Maybe you'll learn your lesson and give KW the benefit of the doubt next time until anything official is announced.

Actually Kenny admitted that the rumors (no trade clause issue) was a problem. Maybe you should read the news before you call out other people. This is great news, and I'm happy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm still surprised Mark accepted such a cheap deal. It'll be fun having a class act like Buehrle around as the face of the franchise for the next 4+ years.

Kudos to Kenny Williams.

Now get a ridiculous package in return for Garland and I'll be ecstatic.

I'm wondering if we can afford to have such a high paid starting rotation, and still keep the payroll around $100 million.

Buerhle is at $14 million a season, Vazquez around $13 million, and then Garland's possible future contract. Contreras needs to go, and even then I'm still not sure that Kenny Williams would want to have $40-$50 million in the pitching staff, especially with so many holes on the field. I kind of expect to have at least 2 pitchers in the rotation (Denks and Floyd/Gonzalez/Masset) to keep the price of the rotation reasonable.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
I doubt he'll be willing to sign a deal in the White Sox price Range. I can't see him taking a discount similar to the one Buehrle took and I can't see the Sox agreeing to a 5 year $70M+ deal like he'll be looking for.

So, do we look to trade Contreras AND Garland before the trade deadline ?

I really hope they are able to work out something with Garland, but I'm not optimistic of him accepting a 3 or 4 year deal.

While everyone expects Contreras to be traded, his value is next to nothing. And even then, the sox would have to pony up some cash to unload him. Or the sox will have to trade bad contracts [which may not be a bad idea--say Jack Wilson and Pittsburgh]. I guess one of the teams in playoff contention may take a flier on Jose, provided he has a few decent starts before the 31st. If not, teams will think he's hurt and will stay away from him.

I'd expect Jose to see some time on the DL if he gets lit up after the ASB. If Jose gets some time off, and has a 2nd half ala Freddy in 2006, then trade him in the offseason. But as of now, he likely won't be going anywhere.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
While everyone expects Contreras to be traded, his value is next to nothing. And even then, the sox would have to pony up some cash to unload him. Or the sox will have to trade bad contracts [which may not be a bad idea--say Jack Wilson and Pittsburgh]. I guess one of the teams in playoff contention may take a flier on Jose, provided he has a few decent starts before the 31st. If not, teams will think he's hurt and will stay away from him.

I'd expect Jose to see some time on the DL if he gets lit up after the ASB. If Jose gets some time off, and has a 2nd half ala Freddy in 2006, then trade him in the offseason. But as of now, he likely won't be going anywhere.

I really don't care if we get anything back for him. Hopefully, Kenny can convince the Mets to take that contract (or a large portion of it).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Wouldn't you say that it's important to have someone to build around in the rotation, regardless? There's still the window where he can be traded, and despite the escalator clause, there's still that opportunity to move him.

Plus, wouldn't he command more in a deal knowing that during that time where there is no NTC, that he will be locked up?

I completely agree he is valuable if you intend to trade him. Don't get me wrong about any of this. he is a nice player but we have about 6 guys locking up half our payroll next year. if he was a perenial 20 game winner or at least close to that then I would completely agree. I just think the sox can only get better if they get younger and faster. At this time they have to find those players cheaply. To do that you need to make trades with desirable and expensive players. Buerhle is one of those, so is Garland. If crede was healthy he would be another, DYE won't bring much and neither will contraras. So though I agree pitching is the name of the game, the rest of the team will not be ready, unless we can figure out how to get better players with a cheaper payroll.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
He's been the closest thing to an ace for us in recent years, along with both Garland and Contreras (AT CERTAIN POINTS). But I'm not just talking about him being a conrnerstone as a player, but as a person and a leader, dude. We all want to keep Buerhle not only because of the great player he is, but the great leader and person he is as well.

i understand and I get it. I just look at it more like a business not like a fan who bouht a buerhle jersey. Now everyone needs to trust management to get things done right, and by the looks at some of the posts its doesn't look like they think the sox management is capable.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
He's been the closest thing to an ace for us in recent years, along with both Garland and Contreras (AT CERTAIN POINTS). But I'm not just talking about him being a conrnerstone as a player, but as a person and a leader, dude. We all want to keep Buerhle not only because of the great player he is, but the great leader and person he is as well.

i understand and I get it. I just look at it more like a business not like a fan who bought a buerhle jersey. Now everyone needs to trust management to get things done right, and by the looks at some of the posts its doesn't look like they think the sox management is capable. I hope the sox can rebuild without buerhle as the chip.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
...this is going to be fun.

I can't wait to see all these Happy Harrys that were so quick to cast the first stone when other's projections were dead wrong sit back, relax, and strap it down with a country sized helping of crow.

amen, hey addison, want some tixs? Ping me.

Kenny Williams actually said during an interview with Chuck Garfine (sp?). That he was incredibly close to trading Buehrle, that for the past week he's had 2-3 offers that he could very well have said yes to and would have been happy with but wanted to work out an extension instead. According to KW, if Buehrle had rejected the offer made to him this morning he would have been traded.

I think most around here agreed that the Sox were in a unique position for a while now in that they were both close to trading AND re-signing Buehrle at the same time, which is very rare. As for those 3 teams:

1. Dodgers

2. Red Sox

3. Mystery Team/Made Up Team (Mets? Padres?)

Just my $0.02

Edited by whitesoxfan101