Harry Potter Thread

Soxy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 12, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
From the book I thought Tonks' hair was supposed to be short and spikey.

Yeah. And from the book, the Crouches are a major part of the story, but who gives a s*** about that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

/not a big fan of the movies

Looking forward to the books, though.

**SPOILERS***

Went and saw Phoenix today. I don't read the books, so am I to assume the battle between Harry and Lord Voldemort won't take place until the end of the last book which is about to come out?

I thought it would of been at the end of this movie.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
Brian, FWIW, that was the 5th movie, the book coming out next week is the 7th.

Right. I was just wondering if the next movie/6th book, is more hype for Lord Voldemort and won't see a final battle until the 7th and final book.

This movie cut out so much of the book it was borderline ridiculous. Obviously you cant have everything from the book put into the movie but this one had so little and than the parts it didnt skip completely werent near complete at all. Overall I enjoyed the movie because Im a Harry Potter fan but they need a different director for the next.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 04:27 AM)
This movie cut out so much of the book it was borderline ridiculous. Obviously you cant have everything from the book put into the movie but this one had so little and than the parts it didnt skip completely werent near complete at all. Overall I enjoyed the movie because Im a Harry Potter fan but they need a different director for the next.

It was funny that the longest book in the series ended up as the shortest film in the set so far. In all likelihood they will be just as merciless in cutting down Halfblood Prince. A lot of fans of the first books have not been as happy with the last two - not as fun, darker, and heavy on the history and intrigue of the wizarding world. I thought they were both fantastic and i think Jo's writing has matured really nicely, but I may be in the minority.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Right. I was just wondering if the next movie/6th book, is more hype for Lord Voldemort and won't see a final battle until the 7th and final book.

The sixth book is really more history. You learn tons about Voldemort's past--but there's no big show down with the big V. You'll have to wait, sorry Brian.

As for directors, there have been rumors that one M. Night Shyamalan may direct one of the remaining two movies. He was supposedly slated to do an earlier one, but schedules conflicted and it didn't work out. As the films and books get darker and more mature, I think Shyamalan's style might work quite well with the franchise.

So I've read the 6th book now, and I'm pumped about the 7th. This story's amazing.

That was the first book I've read in the series. My friend was saying how they start out slow and get much better. And at the time, I was a little less than halfway through the book completely enjoying the story and everything. However, everything completely intensifies later on. It was great.

I've got some interesting theories on some characters and what can happen now, but they'd probably be considered spoilers.

It's awesome. Also, as I was watching the movies I was telling my friend that I couldn't imagine this stuff being pulled off in a book. And now that I've read this one, it's the other way around. I have no idea how they can condense the story into less than 3 hours and portray this stuff into movies.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
Please, as a favor to all of us, let's all try NOT to say ANYTHING about the plot, storyline or characters in the 7th book for a little while yet, since basically no one has read it. Or, maybe start a seperate thread for those who HAVE read it? Just a thought.

Yeah. I like the last idea.

BTW, I don't think I said anything about the plot, storyline or characters. I was referring to quality. And everyone knows the last chapter's an epilogue -- that's VERY common knowledge as she's said it for years and years and years. But no, I had and have no intention of spoiling it and don't think I did. I'm just clarifying.

I saw the 5th one yesterday. They cut some of my favorite parts of the book. But the movie was really well done. I felt like I was watching a real movie--not just part of a series, if that makes sense.

And now, looking forward to the book. I really hope Neville doesn't die.

My basic comments from the film area:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Very quick-moving, similar to the last movie in the fact that you feel like things have been left out, it seems to rush a lot. JK Rowling's on track to write a War and Peace-sized Deathly Hallows book, so it's tough to fit 7 hours of book into 2 and a half hours of film time. But, I felt cheated, like I was at a museum an hour before closing and was being pushed along through the stuff I hadn't seen yet.

Edited by knightni

Saw it last weekend and feel pretty much the same way. Some of the best parts of the book were the interactions in Black family house at Grimauld and that was almost all absent.

Despite how different the Umbridge portrayal in the film was from how she was in the book, I think it worked well. Certainly you hated her just as much.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
OK, I couldn't wait and I downloaded the leaked version off of BitTorrent. I'm about 50 pages in and already some surprises I hadn't expected.

I've heard that there are different versions of leaked copies. So, you may or may have gotten a real one. Of course, this could all be the publisher saying that there are different versions out there. I have not actually checked for obvious reasons.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
I've heard that there are different versions of leaked copies. So, you may or may have gotten a real one. Of course, this could all be the publisher saying that there are different versions out there. I have not actually checked for obvious reasons.

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind about it being a sham version I'm reading. :)

But if it is it's pretty darn good and somebody took an awful lot of time to write 659 pages to scam folks on the web. At any rate I'll know if I've been duped at 12:01 on Saturday when I pick up my legit copies at Barnes and Noble.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind about it being a sham version I'm reading. :)

But if it is it's pretty darn good and somebody took an awful lot of time to write 659 pages to scam folks on the web. At any rate I'll know if I've been duped at 12:01 on Saturday when I pick up my legit copies at Barnes and Noble.

I thought the book was 784 pages. I could be wrong though, as I'm newly entrenched into this story. However, I'm trying to avoid reading even news articles on the book until I get to finally read it (which is after my friend who's buying it the night of).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
I thought the book was 784 pages. I could be wrong though, as I'm newly entrenched into this story. However, I'm trying to avoid reading even news articles on the book until I get to finally read it (which is after my friend who's buying it the night of).

That's what the Scholastic print version will run, and that's what the page-by-page scanned torrent is, but the one I have is a pdf without the page formatting intact. No chapter illos, no page breaks between chapters etc., so it's not as many physical pages. And now up to page 67, if this is just a marathon fanfic (which the quality has me doubting), I'll be floored.