Official Recruiting Thread II

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this will get on ESPN. I told my buddy from school who interned as a PA at ESPN last summer and he sent it to a producer at ESPN. He wrote back wanting wanting an article to verify the authenticity. So we will see.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
Whitney Young won on a game winning shot by Ahmad Starks. I hate that the clock doesn't stop after a made bucket in HS. Ruined really any chance that Waukegan would have had to answer.

That game was the best basketball game of the day, tournament included. Starks was phenomenal. Fantastic ball handling by him in such an up tempo game. Why is Sam Thompson so highly regarded by Illini fans? That guy seems terrible every game I watch him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
That game was the best basketball game of the day, tournament included. Starks was phenomenal. Fantastic ball handling by him in such an up tempo game. Why is Sam Thompson so highly regarded by Illini fans? That guy seems terrible every game I watch him.

I haven't seen him play well either but Thompson's potential is extraordinarily high with his athleticism. But at some point you need to actually produce and while he has had a decent season his production doesn't come close to matching the hype. He certainly is not anywhere near the player of guys like Richmond or Blackshear but that is the group he is mentioned with.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:32 AM)
But at some point you need to actually produce and while he has had a decent season his production doesn't come close to mentioning the hype.

Well, to be fair, no one on WY really has been able to produce any sort of big numbers in recent years considering they basically have like 5-8 D1 players on their roster at any given time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
Terrible call

It was one of many awful calls that went against Waukegan. I've been coming down here to Peoria a long time and can't remember when I saw such a poorly officiated game at state.

Should of been 1.9 on the clock. Refs didn't even look at the monitor to try and get it right. Just threw up .5 secs. It's only a state semifinal game.

27245_1106438918338_1747759459_208686_40

AGreed with fathom on Sam Thompson. He doesn't have many offensive skills. Starks will be very good at Oregon State.

The suntimes article makes it seem that Thompson shut Richmond down, but Jereme missed the entired 2nd quarter with 3 fouls, two of them were terrible calls, than they forget he scored 8 points in the 3rd, to finish with 12. Richmond needed another big man to help board this season and it caught up with them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
It was one of many awful calls that went against Waukegan. I've been coming down here to Peoria a long time and can't remember when I saw such a poorly officiated game at state.

Should of been 1.9 on the clock. Refs didn't even look at the monitor to try and get it right. Just threw up .5 secs. It's only a state semifinal game.

AGreed with fathom on Sam Thompson. He doesn't have many offensive skills. Starks will be very good at Oregon State.

The suntimes article makes it seem that Thompson shut Richmond down, but Jereme missed the entired 2nd quarter with 3 fouls, two of them were terrible calls, than they forget he scored 8 points in the 3rd, to finish with 12. Richmond needed another big man to help board this season and it caught up with them.

I'm obviously biased but I thought Richmond got completely screwed by the refs as well. That game probably goes very differently if isn't for the early terrible foul calls.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
I'm obviously biased but I thought Richmond got completely screwed by the refs as well. That game probably goes very differently if isn't for the early terrible foul calls.

Richmond is so f***ing good. Its going to be a good time watching him battle some of the other young talent in the B10 in the next few years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)

He's not even wearing the orange & blue yet, and he's already getting screwed by the refs!!!!

The same crew that ref'd the Waukegan/Young game, ref'd the 3rd place 3A game this afternoon. They were calling 5 second violations which was funny because at times last night, I thought Starks should of been called for a few of em.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
He's not even wearing the orange & blue yet, and he's already getting screwed by the refs!!!!

Yeah, the complex fans seem to have now about their guys getting screwed over by the refs is ridiculous. Nobody ever wants to blame teams or players for failure, always on the guys in the stripes.

At any rate, Richmond should be fun to watch next fall. All things considered, Illinois should be a lot better, but we'll see.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Not such a great day for IU recruiting yesterday. First, Moses Abraham commits to Georgetown. Then, Matt Carlino (2011) reopens his recruitment.

The Carlino thing has been weird. He committed as a freshman when he was still playing in Arizona, then he moved to Bloomington to play at South (and I'll be the first to tell you that seems a little fishy), and now he reopens his recruitment?