Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
It's reported recently that the press conference is invite-only, which to me points to him selecting Stanford.

Randle to Stanford. Huge meh on this from me. I like him as a player would have liked to have him at Illinois but except for maybe Bertrand he isn't as good as any of the current recruits or players at guard.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Randle to Stanford. Huge meh on this from me. I like him as a player would have liked to have him at Illinois but except for maybe Bertrand he isn't as good as any of the current recruits or players at guard.

Guess he sees more playing time out there.

Curious what Shaw will do now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
Guess he sees more playing time out there.

Curious what Shaw will do now.

Shaw's decision has zero to do with Randle's decision. I can guarantee you that. I think Shaw winds up at Illinois because that is where all the smoke is coming from and I would have a mini meltdown if he goes elsewhere. If anything I think Randle picked today to announce because he knew Shaw was deciding tomorrow and that would greatly reduce the heat he gets from Illini fans.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Shaw's decision has zero to do with Randle's decision. I can guarantee you that. I think Shaw winds up at Illinois because that is where all the smoke is coming from and I would have a mini meltdown if he goes elsewhere. If anything I think Randle picked today to announce because he knew Shaw was deciding tomorrow and that would greatly reduce the heat he gets from Illini fans.

Are you and Shaw neighbors? Has he told you that?

I agree that Shaw goes to Illinois, but he definitely had plans to play with other guys he knows if he could have.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Damn your source for getting my hopes up!!!!

Yeah, he texted me about an hour after he thought Randle was picking Illinois and said that looking like Stanford.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Are you and Shaw neighbors? Has he told you that?

I agree that Shaw goes to Illinois, but he definitely had plans to play with other guys he knows if he could have.

Again, Shaw didn't play AAU ball with Randle and as far as I know Shaw isn't close friends with Randle and except for seeing each other at big events probably hasn't even had a ton of contact with him. Shaw on the other hand is incredibly familiar with Mycheal Henry, Tracy Abrams, Crandall Head, and Meyers Leonard. All of those guys were on the same AAU team last year and he is very good friends with Henry.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Yup, its official

Really good get. So out of the 9 top 100 kids from the state Illinois got 4 of them and they got 4 out of the 6 they had a chance at (Blackshear and Davis were never playing for Illinois since we won't pay for players, and Boatright wasn't going to the same school as Abrams). Shaw kind of falls into the Sam Thompson category of leaving you wanting more but he has tons of talent and the interesting thing with Shaw is when playing for his HS team De La Salle he looks like a top 25 type player but when he plays for the Mac Irvin Fire in AAU he is just a guy. But then again Meyers Leonard did nothing when he played with the Fire so I think the coaching staff has more to do with that then the player.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Really good get. So out of the 9 top 100 kids from the state Illinois got 4 of them and they got 4 out of the 6 they had a chance at (Blackshear and Davis were never playing for Illinois since we won't pay for players, and Boatright wasn't going to the same school as Abrams). Shaw kind of falls into the Sam Thompson category of leaving you wanting more but he has tons of talent and the interesting thing with Shaw is when playing for his HS team De La Salle he looks like a top 25 type player but when he plays for the Mac Irvin Fire in AAU he is just a guy. But then again Meyers Leonard did nothing when he played with the Fire so I think the coaching staff has more to do with that then the player.

Big fan of this:

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/2844026,102...llinois.article

Shaw’s commitment could also significantly impact Weber’s chances to land Young’s Tommy Hamilton Jr. and Simeon’s Jabari Parker, two of the top 15 players in the national class of 2013.

Shaw is an older brother figure to Hamilton, a 6-8 center that is already considered an Illinois lean.

“I think it looks good for Tommy and Illinois,” Shaw said. “I’ve just told Tommy and Jabari to follow their hearts.”

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
That Tommy Hamilton Jr., thats not the son of Thomas Hamilton that played for King in the 90s, is it??? Cause if he is, I would probably avoid that awful work ethic.

Yes it is and his father is not at all involved in his life.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Yes it is and his father is not at all involved in his life.

Gotcha. Never mind then. Brings back memories of those King teams though. Him and Rashard Griffith were beasts. Never did much after HS though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
Gotcha. Never mind then. Brings back memories of those King teams though. Him and Rashard Griffith were beasts. Never did much after HS though.

I remember Griffith playing at Wisconsin a bit but left early for draft and was pretty much never heard of.

Sonny Cox may have been the most crooked Illinois high school coach ever.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
PG- Tracy Abrams, #80 nationally

SG- Chasson Randle, #55 nationally

SF- Mychael Henry, #86 nationally

PF- Mike Shaw, #66 nationally

C- Nnanna Egwu, #82 nationally

Could be quite the class.

Looks like a Thad Matta class.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
Randle is a no go, but Ive heard the illini are looking strongly at Langford... a 6'6 pg from Alabama.

Weber is a dynamic coach. I personally think he is going to get alot out of his guards and wings. I'm not sold on his post play as of yet though. Illinois should continue to be a top team in the conference and the country.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)
and coaching wise Weber >>>>> Matta, so the Illini are looking good

Yikes. Do you really believe that? I understand you thinking Weber is a good coach, but I get the feeling you know nothing about Thad Matta. Maybe in your opinion you like Weber more, but if I was you I would reconsider not only your viewpoint, but the ridiculous amount of greater than signs that you used.

Matta:

258-85 (.753)

156-54 at OSU

6 conference titles in 10 years of being a head coach

Championships

NIT Championship (2008)

Big Ten Tournament Championship (2007, 2010)

Big Ten Regular Season Championship (2006, 2007, 2010)

Atlantic 10 Tournament Championship (2002, 2004)

Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championship (2002, 2003)

Horizon League Tournament Championship (2001)

Horizon League Regular Season Championship (2001)

Awards

Horizon League Coach of the Year (2001)

A-10 Coach of the Year (2002)

Big Ten Coach of the Year (2006, 2010)

Weber

276-126 (.687)

173-72 at ILL

4 conference titles in 12 years of being a head coach

Championships

Big Ten Regular Season Championship (2004, 2005)

Big Ten Tournament Championship (2005)

MVC Regular Season Championship (2002, 2003)

Awards

Naismith College Coach of the Year (2005)

Associated Press National Coach of the Year (2005)

Big Ten Coach of the Year (2005)

MVC Coach of the Year (2003)