Official Recruiting Thread II

Frankly, I haven't seen anyone say we're back this year. When people say IU is back, they mean Zeller's commitment legitimately made them relevant again in terms of recruiting, and in a few years it is quite possible IU could be back near/at the top of the Big Ten. They don't mean landing a 2011 player means IU would be relevant this year -- that's nonsense.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock several times you you have referred to "cream of the crop" but it was never mentioned in the context you are using. The original comment...

"Indiana's upcoming recruiting classes are shaping up to be the cream of the Big 10"

Personally, I interpret that to the recruiting classes in the next few years are shaping up to be at the top of the Big Ten. A lot of things can change in recruiting, but if you look at existing commitments and the upcoming expected pull for 2012, I think it is hard to make an argument against it. Zeller was a huge get for Indiana for many reasons including...

1. He's a great player that is likely to be a 4-year player.

2. He's the kind of player you want in your program. A great kid with a 3.99 gpa that AAU teammates love playing with.

3. The IN class of 2012 is loaded with top 100 players and IU could pull in as many as 5.

4. Lastly, and maybe more importantly, he is the first marquee name in the state that did not go elsewhere in quite awhile. It was big time important for Crean to get back in consistently with the state's best players. He won't get them all, but there can't be an open floodgate every year if IU expects to return to competing for Big Ten and potential National Championships again.

Combine all four and Zeller was the biggest get for IU in MANY years. He doesn't have to be the greatest player to earn that label.

Also to go along with the Zeller recruitment... UNC was out the week prior for what happenened on his official visit. Lets just say ol Roy screwed up mightily by not having Cody stay with Tyler on his official.

Whoever Cody stayed with, ditched him at a party to go home with some random girl and locked him out of the dorms. So there Cody was, lost at UNC, at some random party, and probably made his mind up right there.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Also to go along with the Zeller recruitment... UNC was out the week prior for what happenened on his official visit. Lets just say ol Roy screwed up mightily by not having Cody stay with Tyler on his official.

Whoever Cody stayed with, ditched him at a party to go home with some random girl and locked him out of the dorms. So there Cody was, lost at UNC, at some random party, and probably made his mind up right there.

Well if the kid can't take one for the team in that situation, then I'm sure none of the UNC players really wanted him around anyway.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Rock several times you you have referred to "cream of the crop" but it was never mentioned in the context you are using. The original comment...

"Indiana's upcoming recruiting classes are shaping up to be the cream of the Big 10"

Personally, I interpret that to the recruiting classes in the next few years are shaping up to be at the top of the Big Ten. A lot of things can change in recruiting, but if you look at existing commitments and the upcoming expected pull for 2012, I think it is hard to make an argument against it. Zeller was a huge get for Indiana for many reasons including...

1. He's a great player that is likely to be a 4-year player.

2. He's the kind of player you want in your program. A great kid with a 3.99 gpa that AAU teammates love playing with.

3. The IN class of 2012 is loaded with top 100 players and IU could pull in as many as 5.

4. Lastly, and maybe more importantly, he is the first marquee name in the state that did not go elsewhere in quite awhile. It was big time important for Crean to get back in consistently with the state's best players. He won't get them all, but there can't be an open floodgate every year if IU expects to return to competing for Big Ten and potential National Championships again.

Combine all four and Zeller was the biggest get for IU in MANY years. He doesn't have to be the greatest player to earn that label.

So Zeller's good GPA in High School is going to open the floodgates on recruiting at IU?

I dont buy it. I understand and am excited about the prospect of IU returning back to form in BBall, as I stated before I am actually quite a fan of the program. However, I still dont think that all of a sudden a middle of the road team in the conference is going to gobble up all the top talent in a state based on one player who wasnt even the #1 or #2 player in his state, although apparently a "marquee" name. And if he truly is this dynamic player that everyone seems to think he is, there is no chance he is a 4 year player at his size. If he stays 4 years he will be a Tisdale-caliber player and thats still good, but not quite the star he is being built up to be.

I agree that 2012 is shaping up to be a good year for IU recruiting-wise, however in Indiana alone you possibly have 4 out of the top 5 kids in state going to schools other than IU. 2 of those I know fairly well because on the OSU forum they are being called Buckeye leans, and you can bet MSU, Ky, and Purude are going to take their fair share of the top kids as well.

I'm happy and all that they are finally getting out of the dumps of the conference, but automatically assuming they are going to take over Indiana from the likes of MSU, Purdue, OSU, Kentucky and even Butler, seems to be getting ahead of yourselves quite a bit.

Met Tommy Hamilton and Jabari Parker Friday night. They were at an event my company helped execute. Didn't want to ask them about recruiting. But Jabari is a really really nice guy. Hamilton less talkative, but a big dude. And saw the Whitney Young freshmen, including Jahlil Okafor who is going to be a five-star. Dude is so tall too. I have never seen a team with as much talent as Whitney Young. They have three five-star caliber freshmen/sophomore (Hamilton, Okafor and Paul Turner) who are all 6'7" or bigger. Just not fair.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Met Tommy Hamilton and Jabari Parker Friday night. They were at an event my company helped execute. Didn't want to ask them about recruiting. But Jabari is a really really nice guy. Hamilton less talkative, but a big dude. And saw the Whitney Young freshmen, including Jahlil Okafor who is going to be a five-star. Dude is so tall too. I have never seen a team with as much talent as Whitney Young. They have three five-star caliber freshmen/sophomore (Hamilton, Okafor and Paul Turner) who are all 6'7" or bigger. Just not fair.

They are a fun program to watch year after year. My running route takes me right by WY, and I'll see a group of just giant kids that I know are bball players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
So Zeller's good GPA in High School is going to open the floodgates on recruiting at IU?

I dont buy it. I understand and am excited about the prospect of IU returning back to form in BBall, as I stated before I am actually quite a fan of the program. However, I still dont think that all of a sudden a middle of the road team in the conference is going to gobble up all the top talent in a state based on one player who wasnt even the #1 or #2 player in his state, although apparently a "marquee" name. And if he truly is this dynamic player that everyone seems to think he is, there is no chance he is a 4 year player at his size. If he stays 4 years he will be a Tisdale-caliber player and thats still good, but not quite the star he is being built up to be.

I agree that 2012 is shaping up to be a good year for IU recruiting-wise, however in Indiana alone you possibly have 4 out of the top 5 kids in state going to schools other than IU. 2 of those I know fairly well because on the OSU forum they are being called Buckeye leans, and you can bet MSU, Ky, and Purude are going to take their fair share of the top kids as well.

I'm happy and all that they are finally getting out of the dumps of the conference, but automatically assuming they are going to take over Indiana from the likes of MSU, Purdue, OSU, Kentucky and even Butler, seems to be getting ahead of yourselves quite a bit.

Who are these supposed Buckeye leans? If you're refering to Harris and Hollowell, thats comical. Purdue is not pulling any of the talent that IU, MSU, or OSU want. Painter has pulled one player since 2007 that I would consider an impact player, and that is Terone Johnson. OSU has always been a strong pull since the Oden days in Indiana, but it's starting to change with the amount of people in Indy who just do not like Matta. To many people think he "sold" his soul after he left Butler and inherited OSU.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Who are these supposed Buckeye leans? If you're refering to Harris and Hollowell, thats comical. Purdue is not pulling any of the talent that IU, MSU, or OSU want. Painter has pulled one player since 2007 that I would consider an impact player, and that is Terone Johnson. OSU has always been a strong pull since the Oden days in Indiana, but it's starting to change with the amount of people in Indy who just do not like Matta. To many people think he "sold" his soul after he left Butler and inherited OSU.

Yes, thats who I was referring to, and I said from the OSU boards. Even if they arent correct, alot of the top talent is going to go out of state.

And Matta just pulled in Mr BBall from Indiana, when did people start hating Matta again? Matta was at Butler for ONE year, and you are saying that now, 10 years later, people are starting to hate Matta? That literally make zero sense.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

Since 2012 is gonna suck for UI recruiting, those two in 2013 could be huge. All indications are that Weber and company are recruiting full steam ahead and appear to be in great shape with both guys. I think the success of this year and next will go a long way in their recruitment.

Edit: I guess Illinois is also in the Harris hunt. Have no idea if they're a contender though.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)

But it's not like there were zero top recruits interested before Zeller committed. There were plenty, and I think people are saying the Zeller commit might have nudged a few to IU.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Since 2012 is gonna suck for UI recruiting, those two in 2013 could be huge. All indications are that Weber and company are recruiting full steam ahead and appear to be in great shape with both guys. I think the success of this year and next will go a long way in their recruitment.

Edit: I guess Illinois is also in the Harris hunt. Have no idea if they're a contender though.

Hamilton is gonna don the Blue and Orange. He is a huge Illini fan. Dad committed to Illinois way back when, but had academic issues. Mike Shaw is apparently a big brother figure to him. Parker is definitely going to consider Illinois, and I suspect Illinois will be a finalist for his services, but they will definitely have a huge battle with the big boys of college basketball. He's got it all: smarts, versatility, defensive abilities, can handle the ball, score, good listeners, team player, etc.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
But it's not like there were zero top recruits interested before Zeller committed. There were plenty, and I think people are saying the Zeller commit might have nudged a few to IU.

I think people are mistaking my posts for saying there is no talent at IU. I know there is talent, and more is coming. I just dont agree with the notion that Zeller for some reason is going to automatically turn IU into the top recruiting team in the conference and will influence all top recruits in Indiana to want to play for IU moving forward. He isnt even the top kid in the state in his class. I still believe that alot of other teams are going to continue to raid Indiana the same way they have for the last several years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
I think people are mistaking my posts for saying there is no talent at IU. I know there is talent, and more is coming. I just dont agree with the notion that Zeller for some reason is going to automatically turn IU into the top recruiting team in the conference and will influence all top recruits in Indiana to want to play for IU moving forward. He isnt even the top kid in the state in his class. I still believe that alot of other teams are going to continue to raid Indiana the same way they have for the last several years.

And no one is saying were going to be the top recruiting team.... I believe that the out of state schools days of picking and choosing who they want in Indiana are over. Obviously there is still going to be talent leftover. BTW, Zeller is the best high schooler in IN. Teague and Dawson have the most upside by far, but they are not there yet. That is why they are rated higher.

Back to Matta. He got Thomas to commit entering 9th grade. The Sampsongate fiasco was in full force. People thought Crean was still trying to recruit Thomas when he was going up to Luers to watch their games, when in reality, as we found out, he was forming a relationship with the Blackmons. Their son just committed to IU. You're correct he was not at Butler for long, but come ask anyone around here what they think of Matta these days. He's just not well liked, and that probably dosn't mean much to you, but im sure its not going to help his cause recruiting to the west of Ohio.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
And no one is saying were going to be the top recruiting team.... I believe that the out of state schools days of picking and choosing who they want in Indiana are over. Obviously there is still going to be talent leftover. BTW, Zeller is the best high schooler in IN. Teague and Dawson have the most upside by far, but they are not there yet. That is why they are rated higher.

But thats exactly what was said. And if you think that all of a sudden some of the best programs in the country are going to be shut out of Indiana you are very mistaken. Zeller is the #3 ranked prospect in Indiana regardless of where you personally think the development is for the other players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
But thats exactly what was said. And if you think that all of a sudden some of the best programs in the country are going to be shut out of Indiana you are very mistaken. Zeller is the #3 ranked prospect in Indiana regardless of where you personally think the development is for the other players.

Zeller was easily the most heralded and came with the most hype. The benefit of getting Zeller for IU is as much symbolic as anything else. Yogi Ferrell has repeatedly stated he wants to play with Cody. The point is this... IU is no longer going to get run over in their own state. Will they still lose some? Absolutely! There is a ton of talent in Indiana, especially in the coming years. But since the Sampson days, IU has not been able to pull a single significant recruit from its own state. That is beginning to change.

That's really all that is being said. Yet, somehow you decide to interpret my remarks about Cody being a good smart kid and the kind of kid IU needs after all of the idiots Sampson recruited, as me saying a high GPA is... whatever. That was a stupid comment and you know it. If you would have left that out of your reply, the rest of your post made halfway decent sense. But lead with that and no one will take your "I'm a fan of the program" crap seriously at all.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
That's really all that is being said. Yet, somehow you decide to interpret my remarks about Cody being a good smart kid and the kind of kid IU needs after all of the idiots Sampson recruited, as me saying a high GPA is... whatever. That was a stupid comment and you know it. If you would have left that out of your reply, the rest of your post made halfway decent sense. But lead with that and no one will take your "I'm a fan of the program" crap seriously at all.

Thanks for the criticism, I'll make sure to put it in my notes on how to be a decent poster. I honestly dont give two s***s if you take me seriously when I say I am a fan of the program, I know I am and thats all that counts. I still think its funny that you are putting so much emphasis on this kid's GPA in High School now as another reason on why he's so awesome. Clearly thats enough on this subject and we'll let it all play out on the court moving forward.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Thanks for the criticism, I'll make sure to put it in my notes on how to be a decent poster. I honestly dont give two s***s if you take me seriously when I say I am a fan of the program, I know I am and thats all that counts. I still think its funny that you are putting so much emphasis on this kid's GPA in High School now as another reason on why he's so awesome. Clearly thats enough on this subject and we'll let it all play out on the court moving forward.

How is the fact that he is a good kid and the kind of kid the program needs so difficult for you to understand? And how is my stating that amongst 3 other reasons "so much emphasis"? You picked out what you want and missed the point of the post. Rock, you're an intelligent guy. If you go back and read my original post and can't grasp the concept I was relaying, then don't be a fan. Personally, I think you're smart enough to get it, so you either choose not to or didn't read it all and missed the point. It's not terribly complex.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
How is the fact that he is a good kid and the kind of kid the program needs so difficult for you to understand? And how is my stating that amongst 3 other reasons "so much emphasis"? You picked out what you want and missed the point of the post. Rock, you're an intelligent guy. If you go back and read my original post and can't grasp the concept I was relaying, then don't be a fan. Personally, I think you're smart enough to get it, so you either choose not to or didn't read it all and missed the point. It's not terribly complex.

Exactly, no one is claiming were turning into this huge recruiting juggernaut and are going to take the BigTen by storm. Were getting some extremely high character kids with great intelligence and it's going to be extremely fun to watch this program continue to grow.

Ok, I'll take it back and say for sure the state of Indiana is on lockdown. The top two prospects in 2013, Colin Hartman 5 star and Devin Davis 4 star, committed to IU after the game today. Yogi Ferrell makes his decision Wednesday. This is one of the most incredible recruiting runs I have ever seen.