Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
If Paul has a good Big 10 season or strong postseason, look for him to try and test the draft waters.

No way. I hope nobody is giving him and Richmond bad advice about the draft next year.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Langford won't play much as a freshman, IMO. Bertrand isn't that good. Paul/Richardson/Richmond are the starters 1-3. And then there minutes to be won. Abrams/Henry are still freshman, so Crandall will have an edge on them assuming his head is on straight. That's the only way I see him leaving is because of academic issues.

Apparently, that's what got him to committ to Illinois was the fact that he was promised PT. Apparently he was torn between Maryland and Illinois and Weber and Howard assured him of playing time if not a starter's role from everything I've heard.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
Apparently, that's what got him to committ to Illinois was the fact that he was promised PT. Apparently he was torn between Maryland and Illinois and Weber and Howard assured him of playing time if not a starter's role from everything I've heard.

I highly doubt Weber promised playing time. He might have said Langford would have a great chance to come in and compete for early PT, but I guarantee he did not promise early PT. Not his MO. BTW, I have seen that quote you probably are referring to from Langford's coach in regard to the PT, but I have to assume the coach misunderstood Weber, so I am not bashing you.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
I highly doubt Weber promised playing time. He might have said Langford would have a great chance to come in and compete for early PT, but I guarantee he did not promise early PT. Not his MO. BTW, I have seen that quote you probably are referring to from Langford's coach in regard to the PT, but I have to assume the coach misunderstood Weber, so I am not bashing you.

Yep

I read on Illinihq that if Langford were to commit to Illinois he'd like to play his freshmen year. According to the read, Weber & Howard assured Devin that he would. With Brandon Paul, D.J. Richardson, Crandall Head, Jereme Richmond, Joseph Bertrand, Mychael Henry & Tracy Abrams most likely being on next years roster, how is Landford being assured playing time, especially since two players, Bertrand & Head, aren't really getting time now, & depth will only increase for next year?

If he really is like Penny Hardaway, I don't blame them for playing him off the bat.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Yeah, but they're literally too deep in the backcourt.

Next year:

Abrams, Langford, Paul, Richardson, Head, Bertrand, and Henry/Richmond at the guard spots. Good look cracking that rotation.

Bertrand is probably the odd man out but he also seems like the type of kid who just really likes Illinois and might stick it out to see if he can crack the rotation as an upperclassmen. I've always thought he was a boom or bust recruit, great athlete, good slasher, good passer, shot needs work but that is the case with a lot of guys but there just always seemed to be something missing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Who is this Langford kid people are referring to?

Nevermind, found it. I wish they'd pursue more out-of-state guys.

Langford is a rare exception since he reached out to Weber initially (rather than vice versa), but Illinois should never look out of state unless it's eastern Missouri or Indiana. There's just no reason to.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
Langford is a rare exception since he reached out to Weber initially (rather than vice versa), but Illinois should never look out of state unless it's eastern Missouri or Indiana. There's just no reason to.

Disagreed. Heck, I can't think of many times where the #1 recruits even come out of Illinois. There was Rose, though Gordon and Mayo all switched. I think you go where ever you need to to get the recruit you need.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
Disagreed. Heck, I can't think of many times where the #1 recruits even come out of Illinois. There was Rose, though Gordon and Mayo all switched. I think you go where ever you need to to get the recruit you need.

And? Illinois is not going to go into NY, NC, Texas or California and pull the top kid out. We pull the top kids out of Illinois, and you're going to do very well. More NBAers have been born in Illinois than any other state to gain some perspective. Illinois has no real in state competition for the top kids. They just have to worry about the national powers for the kids they want. That's a good position to be in, even if you do lose out on the Derrick Roses or Anthony Davises.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
And? Illinois is not going to go into NY, NC, Texas or California and pull the top kid out. We pull the top kids out of Illinois, and you're going to do very well. More NBAers have been born in Illinois than any other state to gain some perspective. Illinois has no real in state competition for the top kids. They just have to worry about the national powers for the kids they want. That's a good position to be in, even if you do lose out on the Derrick Roses or Anthony Davises.

Deron Williams is from Texas, probably the best player in recent Illinois history. On the current team Mike Davis is from somewhere on the west coast I think and he is very important to the team's success as well. Can't solely rely on instate guys only.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
Deron Williams is from Texas, probably the best player in recent Illinois history. On the current team Mike Davis is from somewhere on the west coast I think and he is very important to the team's success as well. Can't solely rely on instate guys only.

Mike Davis is from Virginia. He was a 2 star recruit that Illinois basically lucked into as a late signee since no other real major programs were offering him (at least without some sort of condition). This was also when Illinois' recruiting was reaching an all-time low and Davis was a huge reach, even at that time.

Deron Williams is the exception to the rule of course. And no one expected him to turn out like he did.

If you want evidence, just look no further than the past years year. They're basically on their best recruiting tear in the program's history and every single player was a local kid.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
Deron Williams is from Texas, the best player in Illinois history. On the current team Mike Davis is from somewhere on the west coast I think and he is very important to the team's success as well. Can't solely rely on instate guys only.

Corrected for accuracy. And I'm an alum.

Instate guys should always be the priority in such a talent-rich state, but going outside occasionally is good too.

I could understand why one wouldn't want to recruit outside of the state, but what does it matter if you're not getting the elite guys. Ya, there are a hell of a lot of great players coming out of Illinois, obviously the Chicago area, but if the top guy is consistently choosing schools other than Illinois, you have to expand your search. They've built a great core but it's a blow when you miss out on guys like Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose, Shannon Brown.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)

I think you have to keep your main recruiting base in Illinois, but building new ties to new places can never hurt. You gotta aim to get the best talent you can even if that means going out of state. That 2005 team had its main base from Illinois but solid non-Illinois players in Deron, Jack Ingram (though he transferred) and Nick Smith.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
Corrected for accuracy. And I'm an alum.

Instate guys should always be the priority in such a talent-rich state, but going outside occasionally is good too.

Exactly.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 03:09 AM)
I could understand why one wouldn't want to recruit outside of the state, but what does it matter if you're not getting the elite guys. Ya, there are a hell of a lot of great players coming out of Illinois, obviously the Chicago area, but if the top guy is consistently choosing schools other than Illinois, you have to expand your search. They've built a great core but it's a blow when you miss out on guys like Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose, Shannon Brown.

The only "real" miss on those was Shannon of those guys. Good kid from a school that just gave Illinois Dee Brown. Rose's shady recruiting and eligibility issues were a huge issue with him and Illinois. He was just never going to give Weber and Co. a legit chance, especially with his brother running point wanting all kids of s*** for a commitment. Davis is also a suspicious story. Truly whenever anyone commits to Kentucky I get curious. The big misses were Julian Wright, Jon Scheyer and Shannon over Weber's time. All three smart kids from non-CPS schools whose recruitment were legit.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
I think you have to keep your main recruiting base in Illinois, but building new ties to new places can never hurt. You gotta aim to get the best talent you can even if that means going out of state. That 2005 team had its main base from Illinois but solid non-Illinois players in Deron, Jack Ingram (though he transferred) and Nick Smith.

Exactly.

The only "real" miss on those was Shannon of those guys. Good kid from a school that just gave Illinois Dee Brown. Rose's shady recruiting and eligibility issues were a huge issue with him and Illinois. He was just never going to give Weber and Co. a legit chance, especially with his brother running point wanting all kids of s*** for a commitment. Davis is also a suspicious story. Truly whenever anyone commits to Kentucky I get curious. The big misses were Julian Wright, Jon Scheyer and Shannon over Weber's time. All three smart kids from non-CPS schools whose recruitment were legit.

I agree about Rose, but everyone else were huge misses. Also Iman Shumpert to that list with Sherron collins. I thought Davis' school is private, just not really known at all. Either way, a Calipari recruit will always be fishy. And the point will always remain, go whereever you need to get the players you need. If Illinois had no pipeline in Illinois, but were consistently bringing in great recruits, I'd be happy with that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Illinois is never going to lock down all top prospects in state, there is simply too much competition for the players from other programs. Thats why they need to at least cast their net to other areas.

You're right that Illinois can't lock down all of the top prospects in state due to competition. But they also can't because they only have 13 scholarships a year. There are so many good players in this state that all they have to do is keep their fair share, like they've been doing the last few years now, and they'll be fine. They don't really need to cast their net to other areas in general, but obviously they will here and there for certain guys since there are exceptions to the rule and guys worth leaving the state to get.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
4-star Ryan Shazier switched his commit from gators to Buckeyes.

he then was immediately dropped to a 3-star.

:lol: Isn't that the way it always is? The star-rankings are fun for the fans, but that's it. What I go by is the offer list. If a dude is a 3-star but has offers from the entire SEC, then he's a damn good player.

Oh and as for Langford, Illinois could very legitimately promise him playing time if they feel he can step in and play point guard right away. Abrams is really the only actual point guard on the roster for next year.

And dasox is 100 percent right on offer lists being way more relevant to look at than star ratings. Although the offer lists aren't always accurate on these websites either, but that's still a better way to go IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The star system is really a joke. Some has to do with subscription sales for teams sites on the rivals database. Some has to do with location of player. And then some has to do with who is offering the kid. I remember Frankie Hammond being offered by Miami when he had no stars because no one knew who he was. A few weeks later, he commits to Florida and somehow jumps to 4 stars.

Also there are a lot of 3 star Florida kids who are way better than kids from other states who have higher star ratings.

The offer listing is probably a better way to gauge recruiting prospects but even that has holes. These kids know how to play the game too. If a kid has real offers from Sun Belt or MAC schools, he might say a BCS team has offered him in hopes of getting schools from the WAC,C-USA,etc to offer him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 06:58 AM)
The big misses were Julian Wright, Jon Scheyer and Shannon over Weber's time. All three smart kids from non-CPS schools whose recruitment were legit.

Jon Scheyer wasn't really a miss considering there was no chance he was going anywhere other than Duke.