Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
I was a little disappointed we went 1 for 3 today on recruits still on our board, but I'll take the #12 class according to Rivals (and let's be real, Rivals is by far the best at this).

I prefer scout for football and rivals for bball. They are all pretty biased either way. I think maxpreps has ND at number 1.

Cyrus did not sign with Auburn or Bama yesterday (Rivals #4 ranked prospect in the country, #1 oline prospect in the country). Last night a couple Iowa players who have gone through the recruiting process, including his teammate Darrian Cooper, indicated that Iowa is still in the picture. Albeit on the outside looking in (Iowa was in his top 3 but was named out of things on Monday, but I guess now are back in the picture).

Apparently something went wrong during Auburn's visit which has caused him to open things back up.

Per Cy's dad as of last night:

"He's deciding between Alabama, Auburn and even Iowa," Jean Claude Kouandjio said. "It may even come back to Iowa. He's considering his options even more now. Those three (schools) have been floating in his mind"

Iowa has 2 of his teammates from this year already signed to their LOI's plus a teammate of his last year (Freshman RB Coker). Add in the best oline coach in the country (our head coach, haha) and there are definitely some reasons why Cy might change his mind to the tunes of black and gold!!!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Per Cy's dad as of last night:

"He's deciding between Alabama, Auburn and even Iowa," Jean Claude Kouandjio said. "It may even come back to Iowa. He's considering his options even more now. Those three (schools) have been floating in his mind"

Iowa has 2 of his teammates from this year already signed to their LOI's plus a teammate of his last year (Freshman RB Coker). Add in the best oline coach in the country (our head coach, haha) and there are definitely some reasons why Cy might change his mind to the tunes of black and gold!!!

That would be awesome for Iowa.

I saw IU pulled in a great QB in Shane Wynn.

Overall not a great day for the Big Ten though. As conference rankings go, the ones outside the SEC get pretty much the same number of top 100 guys, I just think the conference pulled in alot of guys below that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)

Overall not a great day for the Big Ten though. As conference rankings go, the ones outside the SEC get pretty much the same number of top 100 guys, I just think the conference pulled in alot of guys below that.

I thought Wynn was a speedy slot receiver? Said he was the most explosive player in Ohio and OSU showed major interest, but got their man elsewhere. I have a feeling Wilson is going to get IU football on the map. IU is shelling out more cash than just about every team in the country on their athletics, its quite incredible. Saw we now have the largest weight room in the country. It'll be nice to actually look forward to football season. Purdue is quickly turning into the doormat program. I can't find one person that likes Danny Hope.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
I can't believe Steward went to Clemson. Even after his decision he said "I'm still a Nole at heart". Um, no, not when you go to a conference rival. In the end, playing time won out for Tony.

Still have the #1 class in the country so I'm not gonna complain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)

Its funny cause it happens in a year where Iowa has put out its best recruiting class (on paper) in practically forever (the 06 class was pretty hyped but turned into a giant turd).

Big 10 struggled to hit on the elite talent though but to an extent I've always felt most of the so called elite talent ends up in the SEC (from a highschool star rankings). Not sure if there is a bias there or not. You can't deny the athletism that the SEC has though. Doens't necessarily make them the better football players at the end of the day though.

I doubt Iowa pulls Cy, but that would be pretty sweet news.

As a Wisconsin fan Im extremely leery of recruiting stars and all that jazz. I started following it pretty closely back in the day and realized that stars dont always tell the whole story. Josh Ogelsby is one of the highest rated recruits Wisconsin has gotten, yet he has been a pretty big disappointment. Conversely JJ Watt was a walk on from CMU who earned a scholarship and may go in the first round of the draft this year.

Its good fun though, especially when there isnt a game for another 6 months.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
As a Wisconsin fan Im extremely leery of recruiting stars and all that jazz. I started following it pretty closely back in the day and realized that stars dont always tell the whole story. Josh Ogelsby is one of the highest rated recruits Wisconsin has gotten, yet he has been a pretty big disappointment. Conversely JJ Watt was a walk on from CMU who earned a scholarship and may go in the first round of the draft this year.

Well, yes, the whole star system and rankings are simply for the fans so no one should ever put too much stock in it. And yes, all of the recruiting sites have their biases (tend to cater to the schools with the largest followings), but it's still fun to follow... There are plenty of hits and misses. Hell, Tennessee had the #3 class in 2007 and we ended up with 5 guys from that class that actually contributed last year. But, it gives me something to look forward to during a time of the year that is slow for sports.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
I prefer scout for football and rivals for bball. They are all pretty biased either way. I think maxpreps has ND at number 1.

Ha, I'm just the opposite. Rivals for football and Scout for basketball. Interesting...

Oh, and 247sports is on the rise. They have a Tennessee site and it is extremely well-run... The guys who created Rivals and sold it to Yahoo are the ones who created 24/7 so they definitely know how to do it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)

Its pretty biased towards the south, but then again they have sports year round. Its good for the overall picture, but the star ratings are just guesses. You'll see players commit to schools and drop a star based on who they chose.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
I can't believe Steward went to Clemson. Even after his decision he said "I'm still a Nole at heart". Um, no, not when you go to a conference rival. In the end, playing time won out for Tony.

Clemson without a doubt is buying players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
Its pretty biased towards the south, but then again they have sports year round. Its good for the overall picture, but the star ratings are just guesses. You'll see players commit to schools and drop a star based on who they chose.

It's also very biased towards subscription sales. Of course that will favor the football crazy SEC fans.

There are tons of stories on how the star system has biased views. Couple of years ago Miami offered a WR from the Miami area and he had no stars. Then a week later the kid commits to Florida and he's 4-star.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Like half the college programs out there? Probably more.

Sure all programs are doing something. But Clemson sucks and has a crap head coach yet they still pull in huge players at the last second. CJ Spiller all of a sudden leaves the state when everyone down here in Florida thought it was FSU or Florida.

Here is former Clemson player Kenneth Page

cashmoney.jpg

hmmmmm

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
I thought Wynn was a speedy slot receiver? Said he was the most explosive player in Ohio and OSU showed major interest, but got their man elsewhere. I have a feeling Wilson is going to get IU football on the map. IU is shelling out more cash than just about every team in the country on their athletics, its quite incredible. Saw we now have the largest weight room in the country. It'll be nice to actually look forward to football season. Purdue is quickly turning into the doormat program. I can't find one person that likes Danny Hope.

Duh, not sure why i typed QB. Wynn is the real deal, a top talent out of Ohio.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)

Star ratings for individual players are very hit or miss, but the programs that consistently have the best classes on signing day are pretty much also the teams dominating college football.

• 2 weeks later...

For Illinois fans, Illinois offered Max Biefeldt yesterday. Not sure how I feel about this. That kid is a tremendous high school player (I'm not sure there is a better high school player in the state, but he wouldn't be in my top 10 for ranking prospects), is highly skilled for a big man, and he adds toughness. But he is undersized and not particularly athletic which is obviously a huge concern. I think more than anything this speaks to just how awful the 2012 HS basketball class is in Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
For Illinois fans, Illinois offered Max Biefeldt yesterday. Not sure how I feel about this. That kid is a tremendous high school player (I'm not sure there is a better high school player in the state, but he wouldn't be in my top 10 for ranking prospects), is highly skilled for a big man, and he adds toughness. But he is undersized and not particularly athletic which is obviously a huge concern. I think more than anything this speaks to just how awful the 2012 HS basketball class is in Illinois.

And it guarantees that Griffey and/or Richmond are gone. Much more likely it's Griffey transferring, possibly to Missouri.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
And it guarantees that Griffey and/or Richmond are gone. Much more likely it's Griffey transferring, possibly to Missouri.

He more likely goes to SLU IMO. He's not going to get the time at Missouri and he doesn't fit their system as well because he isn't a runner.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
He more likely goes to SLU IMO. He's not going to get the time at Missouri and he doesn't fit their system as well because he isn't a runner.

Ugh, I'm getting old, as I totally meant to say SLU. You're right, he's not exactly a fit for Missouri in many ways.