Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
Simeon getting pounded by the #1 team in the country right now. I still have no idea what position Nunn should be playing in Groce's system, as his jump shot is awful. It's interesting that Marquette was one of his finalists as he reminds me a lot of the athletic, slashing guards they've had of late.

Awful defensive game.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elliott Cole, from new CPL school, Powerhouse, scored 64 in a win yesterday and is now averaging 38.1 pts per game. He has had some wild games with awful shooting but put up enough shots to get point but yesterday was rather efficient. 8 of 11 from 3's. Also had 11 assists.

Chicago State has an offer to him.

His story is interesting because he had been riding the pine for St. Josephs the past 3 years, had enough, and went to this new school and is going off. Oops, Coach Pingatore.

Wonder is recruiting will pick up for him or not. Literally came out of nowhere this year. Guess he doesn't play AAU or summer leagues.

One of the top 2014 recruits in the "world" is heading to IU this weekend for an official. PG/CG Dante Exum of Australia is flying 19,000 miles to spend two days in Bloomington, his only visit he has set up. Could see a commit from him. Already projected to be a lottery pick if he decides to forgo college. Tom Crean has it rolling.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 8, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
Jaquan Lyle's twitter:

Please oh please oh please

Hah, that's a pipe dream. He wants UK, or itl'll be OSU/UL. He's putting up monster numbers this year, but got ejected again last night. He may have passed up Trey Lyles as the best prospect in the state, as he's averaging close to a triple double (having already put up 6 or 7 this year).

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 07:21 AM)
Hah, that's a pipe dream. He wants UK, or itl'll be OSU/UL. He's putting up monster numbers this year, but got ejected again last night. He may have passed up Trey Lyles as the best prospect in the state, as he's averaging close to a triple double (having already put up 6 or 7 this year).

I wouldn't put it in pipe dream territory, still a long-shot but quite possible.

This is his second time on campus now, and some of the schools like Louisville really don't fit him basketball wise as well. Hopefully Groce can pull out the upset here.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 07:21 AM)

We are pushing hard for Okafor as well (like everyone else)

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Can someone explain to me what QB-DT means? I'm looking at Northwesterns recruits and they have 2 sub 200 pound guys listed as QB-DT. It's silly to believe their 2nd position is defensive tackle at 176 and 192 pounds.

Dual-threat

Can someone explain to me what QB-DT means? I'm looking at Northwesterns recruits and they have 2 sub 200 pound guys listed as QB-DT. It's silly to believe their 2nd position is defensive tackle at 176 and 192 pounds.

That means "dual-threat" quarterback, so they are quarterbacks who generate a substantial amount of their offense via running. From what I've seen, NW is strictly a spread offense team so pretty much any QB they recruit will be a DT.

It's too bad that Illinois can't keep more kids in state. It won't happen, but if in this junior class, Groce got Okafor and Ullis, you're looking at a Big Ten champion.

College coaches need to ignore Ullis' height. The kid is a player of the year candidate now and if he had actually transferred to Simeon, he'd be the best guard on that team.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
It's too bad that Illinois can't keep more kids in state. It won't happen, but if in this junior class, Groce got Okafor and Ullis, you're looking at a Big Ten champion.

College coaches need to ignore Ullis' height. The kid is a player of the year candidate now and if he had actually transferred to Simeon, he'd be the best guard on that team.

Well if you were a recruit and UK, Duke, Louisville, MSU etc came knocking on the door, what is the draw to go downstate to Illinois? There are so many cooks in the kitchen going after chicago recruits that its hard to have any loyalty to a team that has no real identity in the city.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Well if you were a recruit and UK, Duke, Louisville, MSU etc came knocking on the door, what is the draw to go downstate to Illinois? There are so many cooks in the kitchen going after chicago recruits that its hard to have any loyalty to a team that has no real identity in the city.

Kam's

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Dual-threat

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
That means "dual-threat" quarterback, so they are quarterbacks who generate a substantial amount of their offense via running. From what I've seen, NW is strictly a spread offense team so pretty much any QB they recruit will be a DT.

Thanks guys, makes sense.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)

I've seen quite a few people say that, but coaches aren't ignoring his height and they get paid to evaluate and recruit players. He may well be the best guard if he was on Simeon, but his ceiling wouldn't be anywhere near Nunn's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)

Which is why my theory behind the Nunn/Tate recruitment is that Groce wants to open up that pipeline more to compete with those programs. I would take Ullis over both.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I've seen quite a few people say that, but coaches aren't ignoring his height and they get paid to evaluate and recruit players. He may well be the best guard if he was on Simeon, but his ceiling wouldn't be anywhere near Nunn's.

Oh brother. People need to go see Nunn before making statements like that. Dunking is the only think Nunn can do better than Ullis. Ty actually can create his own shot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
Oh brother. People need to go see Nunn before making statements like that. Dunking is the only think Nunn can do better than Ullis. Ty actually can create his own shot.

So you're saying that Ullis' ceiling is higher than Nunn? Otherwise I don't know what the "oh brother" was for. I never said Nunn was better right now.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
So you're saying that Ullis' ceiling is higher than Nunn? Otherwise I don't know what the "oh brother" was for. I never said Nunn was better right now.

Absolutely, but I fear we will never find out because Ullis may end up at a smaller program than he deserves. He would be a steal for Iowa if he ends up there.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
Absolutely, but I fear we will never find out because Ullis may end up at a smaller program than he deserves. He would be a steal for Iowa if he ends up there.

I think we might have different definitions of "ceiling". I think there's a reason everyone has Nunn as a top 60 player while Ullis can't get an offer. If Nunn reaches his ceiling, with his athleticism, he can make the NBA. Ullis, at 5'6 or however short he is, with not elite athleticism, will never play in the NBA.

Even still, Groce likes the type of PG that is quick, can drive, and isn't scared to shoot the ball. Everything I've heard of Ullis says that he would fit exactly that mold. Yet Groce hasn't offered. Just find it weird. Maybe college coaches don't think his quickness will allow him to be successful at the college level. Look at Yogi Ferrell. He's extremely small was basically a 5*.

Just because he can create space in high school does not mean that he can create space against high major division I athletes.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
I think we might have different definitions of "ceiling". I think there's a reason everyone has Nunn as a top 60 player while Ullis can't get an offer. If Nunn reaches his ceiling, with his athleticism, he can make the NBA. Ullis, at 5'6 or however short he is, with not elite athleticism, will never play in the NBA.

Even still, Groce likes the type of PG that is quick, can drive, and isn't scared to shoot the ball. Everything I've heard of Ullis says that he would fit exactly that mold. Yet Groce hasn't offered. Just find it weird. Maybe college coaches don't think his quickness will allow him to be successful at the college level. Look at Yogi Ferrell. He's extremely small was basically a 5*.

Just because he can create space in high school does not mean that he can create space against high major division I athletes.

Ferrell isn't 5'6" either. How many guards that size succeed at the NCAA level? That is a huge disadvantage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Ferrell isn't 5'6" either. How many guards that size succeed at the NCAA level? That is a huge disadvantage.

It is even more rare for a guy Like Ulis who doesn't have elite athleticism. Just about every player I can think of that has been really good and below 5'10 was an elite athlete. Jerome Randle at Cal is the exception to that rule but he was still a touch over 5'9 without shoes and he was an elite shooter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
I've only really seen Nunn against good competition once and I wasn't impressed, however it doesnt look like he's expected to come in and start right away anyway.

I'd be surprised if Illinois' starters in the backcourt next year aren't Abrams, Rice and Bertrand. I think Hill will be the first guard off the bench and Nunn will get playing time as well because he is an elite athlete and fantastic defender. He needs to work on his right hand and continue to work on his jump shot but all the tools are there.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
It is even more rare for a guy Like Ulis who doesn't have elite athleticism. Just about every player I can think of that has been really good and below 5'10 was an elite athlete. Jerome Randle at Cal is the exception to that rule but he was still a touch over 5'9 without shoes and he was an elite shooter.

There's a reason Ulis hasn't been offered yet by any high major yet, there are legitimate concerns about how his game translates. He's been a great player this year, but for every fan saying he's a big tim recruit there's a high major coach not offering him. I'm going to trust the overall assessment from the coaches more than the fans.