Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
It was in reference to Kansas being massive favorites for him according to just about everyone. Well, they are no long huge favorites, and apparently not the favorite at all anymore so it is moot.

Also, On Scout Premium, they said KU not feeling good about Cliff. Really had to push him to come to get one last word in. Hopefully good news for Illinois.

KU apparently feels good about Okafor though.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think I ever said KU was huge favorites, just that it was my prediction because of certain resources being thrown at him.

if I had to predict today, I'd have to say Illinois but his recruiting has turned into a circus so who knows.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Wisconsin has been after Matthews hard, but they have not had a good track record with Chicago recruits.

Rashard Griffith immediately came to mind, before I realized that was 20 years ago.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
I'd be surprised if Matthews doesn't up an Illini. Feel really good about our chances there.

What's crazy is we're now running out of scholarships (with Cliff tbd), to the point where Groce can be very selective with it. What a position to be in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
Kansas canceling in home with Cliff. 9 days until this is ova

People are going nuts over this, but is it really a big deal? Why couldn't they give Cliff the same in-home presentation at Kansas when he's there? Why waste the money on the trip?

I know there are lots of rumors that Kansas has cooled on Cliff and are focusing on Okafor, but I dunno, I just don't buy it. Maybe it's because Illinois rarely gets these top guys and when we do they either decommit or go crazy.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
If he chooses Illinois, Illini Nation better show up to that Chicago Elite Classic and show some love.

I'm already planning on heading to that if Cliff picks Illinois. Between Cliff, DJ Williams (plus Coupet and Norvell who Illinois will have a great shot at if they want them), and Charles Matthews it will be a pretty fun event for Illinois fans. Plus, it will actually be fun to see Okafor, Ulis and the out of state kids as well.

Solid article and synopsis by the guy. One thing about "locking down Chicago"... I'd say that's not happening. If it did, Illinois would surely be on probation within a few years of it. Just too many people with their hands out in that area. Pretty clear that's the dirtiest area for recruiting in the states, along with NYC.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Solid article and synopsis by the guy. One thing about "locking down Chicago"... I'd say that's not happening. If it did, Illinois would surely be on probation within a few years of it. Just too many people with their hands out in that area. Pretty clear that's the dirtiest area for recruiting in the states, along with NYC.

No one will ever lock down Chicago, there's too much talent for that to be feasible anyways.

But I don't think that's what Robert really meant anyways, it's more of when there are a few top recruits from Chicago, then Illinois should be getting at least 1 of them. That's about as good as any school can do in Chicago.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)

Yeah, he put that in quotes as it's not what he actually says/believes, it's what people throw around. I read all of his stuff, he never says anything regarding actually locking down Chicago, we know that's impossible. What we need to do is hit on some high recruits here or there in Chicago, not lose out on seemingly every single one of them. That's good enough in the relationship.

And yeah, this Simeon train is a good one to be on.

To me, locking down Chicago means that the vast majority of players in Chicago will have Illinois near the top of their list and they will regularly get them...the best of them. The null hypothesis will be that a top recruit in Chicago will "probably" go to Illinois

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
To me, locking down Chicago means that the vast majority of players in Chicago will have Illinois near the top of their list and they will regularly get them...the best of them. The null hypothesis will be that a top recruit in Chicago will "probably" go to Illinois

It's just not going to happen when there are programs like Duke, Kentucky (still top dog recruiter), Kansas etc all over the top players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
It's just not going to happen when there are programs like Duke, Kentucky (still top dog recruiter), Kansas etc all over the top players.

Yeah, I mean, I don't expect that to happen. That's just what I think locking down an area would entail. We would have to have a 5-10 year run in which we were almost always a Top 10 squad to achieve that AND lure guys like Cliff on a yearly basis. Then we'd have a shot at it being a relatively permanent and not dependent on a particular coach or the success of the past season or two.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

I can't see us getting to this point, but who knows. If you are always in the running/considered for the top 5-10 guys in Chicago, and landing a few on a regular basis, that's about as good as you can hope for, and that's about as good as you'll need if you can get other guys from the state (Peoria) or surrounding states like Groce is looking to do.

You just don't want to be complete afterthought, like we had been. We're clearly past that point now.