Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
A nobody that changed his opinion in 24 hours after another nobody predicted Illinois?

I think a lot of people were banking on UF to get a commit out of him during his visit but now that he left there without one they started getting a feeling that UI is the leader.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
I think a lot of people were banking on UF to get a commit out of him during his visit but now that he left there without one they started getting a feeling that UI is the leader.

Yeah it's a good sign. I just refuse to buy the hype of self-appointed internet experts who simply follow other self-appointed internet experts for their news.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah it's a good sign. I just refuse to buy the hype of self-appointed internet experts who simply follow other self-appointed internet experts for their news.

That's more than fair. We'll see what happens when Black visits in August/Sept.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
I don't think Jerry Meyer.is a random internet person.

He also hadn't been touting Illinois as the leader for Black until yesterday and he said his change of opinion was based on new information so I'm thinking he heard something very positive for Illinois. Recruiting is fluid but I feel pretty good about landing Black right now.

Meyer and Rabjohns have both made posts on separate boards expecting Black to pick Illini. Said Black has been telling those close to him he wants to play right away and not have to compete for PT. His commit would be huge for Groce.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
Meyer and Rabjohns have both made posts on separate boards expecting Black to pick Illini. Said Black has been telling those close to him he wants to play right away and not have to compete for PT. His commit would be huge for Groce.

I'm not sure if Black would even start as a freshman. He would get a good amount of playing time though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
He also hadn't been touting Illinois as the leader for Black until yesterday and he said his change of opinion was based on new information so I'm thinking he heard something very positive for Illinois. Recruiting is fluid but I feel pretty good about landing Black right now.

It would help out as Illinois recruiting looks pretty dismal in 2014 so far.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Ah that would be the missing piece that I am not aware of.

Yeah, right now it's 1 open scholly. If Starks gets his waiver to play this year, we'll have 2.

2015 we have a lot more open.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Yeah, right now it's 1 open scholly. If Starks gets his waiver to play this year, we'll have 2.

2015 we have a lot more open.

Yup, it's the reason why Groce is able to swing for the fences with Black/Cliff and maybe a guy like Snider now (though doesnt seem good early on for Illinois).

Groce really needs a marquee guy or two in 2015 (Matthews, Bragg, or Brunson) with some good to great guys like DJ Williams and Aaron Jordan.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Yup, it's the reason why Groce is able to swing for the fences with Black/Cliff and maybe a guy like Snider now (though doesnt seem good early on for Illinois).

Groce really needs a marquee guy or two in 2015 (Matthews, Bragg, or Brunson) with some good to great guys like DJ Williams and Aaron Jordan.

Its going to be a battle to the death for Bragg. We think we want him and Kennard with Mickey Mitchell right behind as our 2015 class. Mitchell is the only one I would say is an OSU lean.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Its going to be a battle to the death for Bragg. We think we want him and Kennard with Mickey Mitchell right behind as our 2015 class. Mitchell is the only one I would say is an OSU lean.

Bragg has been really positive about both OSU and Illinois.

I'm hoping we can steal him from you guys, a little payback for taking KBD =)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Bragg has been really positive about both OSU and Illinois.

I'm hoping we can steal him from you guys, a little payback for taking KBD =)

Its going to come down to the wire on him IMO.

KBD is great, but Russell is by far the crown jewel of our class so far. Just need a big man now, especially since Okafor is Duke-bound.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Trusting the word of 15 year olds is dumb.

That's why my excitement over Lyles and Blackmon was always tempered. Anytime a kid commits before his junior year, I take it with a big grain of salt. When the commitment comes before he's even played a high school game (as was the case with Lyles and Blackmon), I think I'd probably be more surprised if they signed with the original school than if they didn't.

Blackmon claims he's still looking at IU but uh...yeah right.

Edited by farmteam

There were major rumors of him decommitting last year when Lyles did, but he had just torn his ACL. So a year later, he blows up again and dominates this AAU season... What is Indiana's reward for sticking by him and referring their team doctor? A big FU. Now what? Lyles and Blackmon to UK, book it. Good work Cal.