Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
TOTALLY DIFFERENT YOU GUYS.

The funny thing is that when Eric Gordon decommitted from Illinois and switched to Indiana, I was an Illini fan.

Then three months later Indiana gave me the best offer out of all my college apps and I decided to go there for school...and promptly switched my allegiances to Indiana.

You know what the really, really funny thing is? When he did this, I didn't blame him for it. I thought his dad was sketchy (still do), but didn't blame Gordon himself. So I got to be the odd man out among Illini fans when it happened, but now if I disagree on that situation it will probably be assumed I'm doing so just because I went to Indiana.

EDIT: More to the point, I didn't blame Gordon OR Sampson when I was still an Illini fan. I think Sampson is a scumbag for other reasons, but it has nothing to do with Gordon and never did for me.

Edited by farmteam

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Okafor also said he's planning an unofficial visit to Illinois (and MSU and OSU). And his dad says there's no lock that they two of them end up at Duke or even play together in college.

Duke locks.

Although we haven't stopped recruiting him the OSU staff is putting more work into Myles Turner nowadays.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
If Jahlil goes to Duke, you can bet Jabari will stay 2 years.

Duke also in on Charles Mathews from St. Rita now. WTF

Duke recruits well-educated 5-Stars. All three are 5-Stars and well-educated kids from good families. Why is it that surprising?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Duke recruits well-educated 5-Stars. All three are 5-Stars and well-educated kids from good families. Why is it that surprising?

Jabari, Jahlil, and Mathews are different types of players than Collins and Scheyer.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
They are? Smh

They're also way more athletic, versatile, and play a faster style.

They are also guys that can qualify with no issues at even a great institution like Duke like Magette and Dockery before them.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
The funny thing is that when Eric Gordon decommitted from Illinois and switched to Indiana, I was an Illini fan.

Then three months later Indiana gave me the best offer out of all my college apps and I decided to go there for school...and promptly switched my allegiances to Indiana.

You know what the really, really funny thing is? When he did this, I didn't blame him for it. I thought his dad was sketchy (still do), but didn't blame Gordon himself. So I got to be the odd man out among Illini fans when it happened, but now if I disagree on that situation it will probably be assumed I'm doing so just because I went to Indiana.

EDIT: More to the point, I didn't blame Gordon OR Sampson when I was still an Illini fan. I think Sampson is a scumbag for other reasons, but it has nothing to do with Gordon and never did for me.

I have a buddy who did the same thing - was an Illini fan for his entire childhood, decided to go to Indiana and is now a big Hoosiers fan. I don't get how you can switch allegiances so easily.

I never blamed Gordon, he's just a kid. I did think everyone else involved was incredibly shady though, including Sampson. IIRC he switched at basically the last possible second, making it nearly impossibly for Weber to find someone else decent.

The funniest part about the whole saga of Sampson was Indiana fans being so upset that their perfect reputation had been destroyed. It's like they forgot about the coach they had that choked players but never got reprimanded for it. "That's just tough love! He's getting those boys to play! We've won 5 championships!"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
I have a buddy who did the same thing - was an Illini fan for his entire childhood, decided to go to Indiana and is now a big Hoosiers fan. I don't get how you can switch allegiances so easily.

I never blamed Gordon, he's just a kid. I did think everyone else involved was incredibly shady though, including Sampson. IIRC he switched at basically the last possible second, making it nearly impossibly for Weber to find someone else decent.

The funniest part about the whole saga of Sampson was Indiana fans being so upset that their perfect reputation had been destroyed. It's like they forgot about the coach they had that choked players but never got reprimanded for it. "That's just tough love! He's getting those boys to play! We've won 5 championships!"

I think it is easy to change college allegiances if you pay thousands of dollars to attend a certain place.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
I think it is easy to change college allegiances if you pay thousands of dollars to attend a certain place.

That shouldn't change someone being a life-long fan of a team. Must not be a big fan to begin with. If you're die-hard, nothing would change it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
That shouldn't change someone being a life-long fan of a team. Must not be a big fan to begin with. If you're die-hard, nothing would change it.

Maybe if I had a parent who went to Illinois and bled orange and blue it would have been different*. But I was an Illinois fan for the simple fact that I grew up in Chicagoland. Did I root for them, watch all the football/basketball games, follow recruiting? Yeah. But I'll readily admit that I was as never as big an Illinois fan as I am an Indiana fan. And that seems right to me, since I actually went to Indiana and have all those experiences tied up in it.

But at the same time, while you and Jenks can't believe someone would switch allegiances so easily, I can't believe someone would actively root against the college they're attending. That always blew my mind.

*This makes sense, because my dad was always much more into Bears/White Sox than he was Illinois, so it's not like I became a Vikings and Twins fan when I moved to Minnesota. Moving to a different city is also way different than attending a different college than the one you grew up rooting for, though.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
Maybe if I had a parent who went to Illinois and bled orange and blue it would have been different*. But I was an Illinois fan for the simple fact that I grew up in Chicagoland. Did I root for them, watch all the football/basketball games, follow recruiting? Yeah. But I'll readily admit that I was as never as big an Illinois fan as I am an Indiana fan. And that seems right to me, since I actually went to Indiana and have all those experiences tied up in it.

But at the same time, while you and Jenks can't believe someone would switch allegiances so easily, I can't believe someone would actively root against the college they're attending. That always blew my mind.

*This makes sense, because my dad was always much more into Bears/White Sox than he was Illinois, so it's not like I became a Vikings and Twins fan when I moved to Minnesota. Moving to a different city is also way different than attending a different college than the one you grew up rooting for, though.

I cheered like hell againt Miami when we played Ohio State. No brainer..

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)

That's still somewhat confusing to me, but also not since they're in different conferences (and because Ohio State is just an objectively bigger athletic school).

Didn't maggsmaggs go to Mizzou but he roots for Illinois? That'd be more apt, because although they're in different conferences they're still rivals.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)

I know several people like that, you guys suck. :P

That makes more sense since OSU can win a title and go to a BCS bowl, while Miami really can't. But if you root for Michigan while attending Illinois (I had a friend like that), go pound sand.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
That's still somewhat confusing to me, but also not since they're in different conferences (and because Ohio State is just an objectively bigger athletic school).

Didn't maggsmaggs go to Mizzou but he roots for Illinois? That'd be more apt, because although they're in different conferences they're still rivals.

Yep. Die-hard Illinois basketball fan my entire life, so it an easy decision for me to root for Illinois in basketball. My allegiance to Illinois football was not as strong nor have they been good most of my life (minus Sugar Bowl/Rose Bowl years), so I was easily turned into a Mizzou fan for the Illinois-Mizzou football game. That being said, I still am a fan of both schools.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
I know several people like that, you guys suck. :P

That makes more sense since OSU can win a title and go to a BCS bowl, while Miami really can't. But if you root for Michigan while attending Illinois (I had a friend like that), go pound sand.

I root for miami in hockey vs OSU though....

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
The one sport where Miami is as good as/better than Ohio State :lol:

LOL. Thats all miami does well athletically.

My entire family is probably 49 percent miami grads, 50 percent OSU grads and then the one purdue guy.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)

I guess I'm a bad example since Michigan and SIU never play. I can pull for both hard.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
I guess I'm a bad example since Michigan and SIU never play. I can pull for both hard.

I went to a D3 school, and am in high school broadcasting locally, so the teams I cheer for at the college level change often based on who I know that is at a specific school. This last year I became a big Michigan fan as 3 kids I know are playing ball up there (McGary, Robinson III, and Albrecht.)

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)

Sounds like an early Illinois fan but not really THAT into it. So, it makes sense.

College is hard to begin with because you aren't really old by the time you go there, so if you change teams, unless you were really into them from age 6 on or whatever, I could see where it would be easy to change.

Most of my friends in HS weren't huge fans of any college in particular, so you start rooting for the school you attend.

We've talked about grad school on here before, maybe that's a better example but not quite the same. I wouldn't be going to Michigan for grad school and suddenly drop Illinois and put on my hot yellow t-shirt.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Sounds like an early Illinois fan but not really THAT into it. So, it makes sense.

College is hard to begin with because you aren't really old by the time you go there, so if you change teams, unless you were really into them from age 6 on or whatever, I could see where it would be easy to change.

Most of my friends in HS weren't huge fans of any college in particular, so you start rooting for the school you attend.

We've talked about grad school on here before, maybe that's a better example but not quite the same. I wouldn't be going to Michigan for grad school and suddenly drop Illinois and put on my hot yellow t-shirt.

Yeah, that's probably it. I want to say I was 10 or 11 when I first started following Illinois basketball. The Cory Bradford/Frank Williams/Sergio McClain/Brian Cook era.

Grad school is a decent comparison. If my law school were part of a DI university instead of DIII, I'd root my new school in a casual sense, but not in any manner close to how much I root for Indiana.