Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 2, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
Black didn't really surprise me, but Alexander definitely would.

Yea, Jenks not sure why you laughed at the Black updates, that was pretty well known going into the last month or two that we were leading for him.

Cliff is a whole different beast in terms of his recruitment. I think we have a legitimate shot at him, but I wouldn't say we have the best odds of any team. I still think he goes to Kansas.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
Some buzz about Alexander and Illinois. Two "insiders" just updated their picks to UI. I laughed at them for the Black change and they ended up being right, so who knows. Black and Alexander would sure speed up the rebuild.

We still don't have a scholarship...but I'd crean anyone if cliff wanted a spot.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 2, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Yea, Jenks not sure why you laughed at the Black updates, that was pretty well known going into the last month or two that we were leading for him.

Cliff is a whole different beast in terms of his recruitment. I think we have a legitimate shot at him, but I wouldn't say we have the best odds of any team. I still think he goes to Kansas.

It was more the 12 hour period of time when the insider experts all changed their picks from Florida to Illinois seemingly out of the blue. I could see a handful of people knowing an actual source, but the fact that so many changed their guess just seemed like herd mentality.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
It was more the 12 hour period of time when the insider experts all changed their picks from Florida to Illinois seemingly out of the blue. I could see a handful of people knowing an actual source, but the fact that so many changed their guess just seemed like herd mentality.

Martin was the first one to change, and he clearly had a source that was either Leron's mom or very close to her. And most changed from Florida because he didn't commit there during/after his visit, and they were pegged as the strongest competition for Leron at the time (huge position of need for them, Billy D, etc).

Once he left without a commit, most insiders knew Illinois was very likely.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
Don't bother defending this silliness, Rock

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...etball-facility

Hey dont be jealous of our superior facilities ;-)

He's a huge donor to the program. I think they state it quite well as it's used for recruiting.

Doesnt change the fact I still think he's a tremendous douchebag. The Michael Redd locker room was a much cooler thing.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
I would welcome the inevitable "Grocing" backlash from Indiana fans if we got all three and didn't have the scholarships for them.

Indeed. New coaches always catch a break on that anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Black + Snider = ???

Black + Snider + Alexander = ???

If Starks gets his waive there is no issue with taking Black, Snider and Finke in that class. If he doesn't get his waiver I've heard there is a plan in place to make 3 commits work for next year but that it could get a bit dicey if they somehow land Black, Snider and Alexander. Of course if you land all 3 of those guys you make it work.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
If Starks gets his waive there is no issue with taking Black, Snider and Finke in that class. If he doesn't get his waiver I've heard there is a plan in place to make 3 commits work for next year but that it could get a bit dicey if they somehow land Black, Snider and Alexander. Of course if you land all 3 of those guys you make it work.

Yea you you Crean no matter what for Cliff.

Hopefully the Starks waiver comes through soon to make this a bit better of a scholly situation.

IMO, if anyone decides to leave after a year it would be Colbert or Tate.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I would be disappointed if we started creaning kids.

Every program does it, which is why Creaning was such a dumb criticism. Groce has done it by showing a bunch of players on the team the door in favor of transfers.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
I wouldn't say every program does it. Far from it. And I wouldn't say those were cases of "creaning"

How is it any different? You're telling a guy (or strongly hinting to a guy) that he should leave because you have better players coming in and won't get playing time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
How is it any different? You're telling a guy (or strongly hinting to a guy) thatI he should leave because you have better players coming in and won't get playing time.

They didn't have anyone coming in and you're completely speculating to begin with. It would take a special kind of stupid to tell someone like Mike Shaw to go elsewhere. I highly doubt Groce did that.