Official Recruiting Thread II

"Big Cliff's HS coach saying it's 50-50 Illinois and DePaul with a school likely being cut tomorrow?:) Kansas or Memphis cut tomrorrow?"

I have this bad, bad feeling he's going to pick DePaul. And I'm going to f***ing lose my s***.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
"Big Cliff's HS coach saying it's 50-50 Illinois and DePaul with a school likely being cut tomorrow?:) Kansas or Memphis cut tomrorrow?"

I have this bad, bad feeling he's going to pick DePaul. And I'm going to f***ing lose my s***.

Oliver has been pushing for DePaul for a while though. He might just be biased.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)

The new DePaul arena in the south Loop, if it is built, is an Archer bus ride from Curie. I grew up by Curie high school, odd part of Chicago, BTW.

Don't kid yourself if DePaul uses that location correctly it could get them better players especially from the south and west side. It hasn't worked for UIC but I do not think they really want it to work there. I am not really sure that is the best thing for those kids either.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
The new DePaul arena in the south Loop, if it is built, is an Archer bus ride from Curie. I grew up by Curie high school, odd part of Chicago, BTW.

Don't kid yourself if DePaul uses that location correctly it could get them better players especially from the south and west side. It hasn't worked for UIC but I do not think they really want it to work there. I am not really sure that is the best thing for those kids either.

DePaul is a sleeping giant for hoops, but they need the right coach. And Oliver Purnell is definitely not it. He was a solid coach at Clemson, but DePaul needs a Chicago guy as its coach. If DePaul wants to wake up and start getting these Chicago kids to come play there, they need a Chicago guy as the head coach. Honestly, the coach could probably suck as an Xs and Os guy, but if the guy can recruit Chicago, they will be a NCAA Tournament team on talent alone.

And that is what they need at the moment. A guy who can come in and bring in the Chicago talent.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I will be in attendance in my DePaul sweatshirt...either crying tears of joy or absolute misery

LOL, it's not misery to miss out on a top recruit given the condition of the program.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)

Is the arena going to be ready for the 2015 season? I didn't think it was, if that's the case it would make it irrelevant. Cliff's not playing more than a year in college.

The arena can't hurt in trying to get recruits down the road, but it's not going to be a dramatic game-changer. 4 and 5 stars are still going elsewhere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
For his one year at Illinois, do they have the players in place to make a title run?

Hard to say but Illinois will be very deep and talented next year. They will have 3 transfers who have all proven to be at least good college players coming eligible, 5 freshmen at least 3 of whom will see substantial time this year making the freshmen to sophomore leap and Snider and Black are both potential impact freshmen (my guess is Snider more likely then Black). The only players they lose are Bertrand and Ekey. I would be surprised if they aren't at least a Final 4 contender (Top 10-15 type team) next year if they land Cliff.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
For his one year at Illinois, do they have the players in place to make a title run?

We'll see how everyone develops, but I would think they would be in the conference title discussion yes. Cliff/Egwu would be the best front court in the conference and you hope to get some good production out of Starks/Crosby who get a year of practicing in the system. Add in the development of the new guys and they should be pretty good.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
Hard to say but Illinois will be very deep and talented next year. They will have 3 transfers who have all proven to be at least good college players coming eligible, 5 freshmen at least 3 of whom will see substantial time this year making the freshmen to sophomore leap and Snider and Black are both potential impact freshmen (my guess is Snider more likely then Black). The only players they lose are Bertrand and Ekey. I would be surprised if they aren't at least a Final 4 contender (Top 10-15 type team) next year if they land Cliff.

And senior leadership in Abrams and Egwu. With Cliff, on paper that's for sure a top 10-15 team and in today's college basketball landscape, it easily has final four potential.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)

It really depends on how the chemistry is. It would be the best looking Illini team in a very long time though. A SR PG in Abrams, RS JR SG in Cosby, RS SR SF in Rice, top 5 player at PF, and a SR at C in Egwu. That's a lot of experience. Not to mention the bench guards will be guys like Nunn, Snider, Tate, and Starks and the Forwards will be Hill, Black, and Darius Paul. There should be a ton of depth.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)

Also remember MSU will drop down without Payne and Harris, OSU probably takes a step back without Craft (though Rock you can better forecast that) Maybe Wisconsin loses Dekker. Indiana supposedly has a lot of talent with a bunch of McDAA's on the roster, but they'll be young.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Also remember MSU will drop down without Payne and Harris, OSU probably takes a step back without Craft (though Rock you can better forecast that) Maybe Wisconsin loses Dekker. Indiana supposedly has a lot of talent with a bunch of McDAA's on the roster, but they'll be young.

WE bring in a great recruiting class (#3 class in the country), but freshman have proven to be very hit and miss. If Shannon Scott stays we wont miss much. He will prove to be a better PG than Craft this year, mark it down.

With those one and done's its all about can their supporting cast work with them for that year. Sometimes its great and sometimes its the NIT.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
WE bring in a great recruiting class (#3 class in the country), but freshman have proven to be very hit and miss. If Shannon Scott stays we wont miss much. He will prove to be a better PG than Craft this year, mark it down.

With those one and done's its all about can their supporting cast work with them for that year. Sometimes its great and sometimes its the NIT.

Which is why there's so much excitement for Cliff and Illinois. He'll have a supporting class of upperclassmen.

For the record, I'm not totally buying into the final four or bust prediction other Illinois fans have. I'm not sure how refined Cliff's offensive game will be once he gets into the Big Ten.

Edited by Jenksismybitch