Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
Yeah, if true, Snider can go f*** himself

Yup. Apparently the Sniders informed the staff that they were talking to Louisville two days ago. Very scummy move.

Tate not looking useless and Starks getting his waiver denied makes Snider less of necessity. He would have still been an absolutely huge get, but if the Illini can pull in Brunson or some other good 2015 PG recruit, it won't be as huge of a hit.

Edit: He officially signed with Louisville.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX 3m

Illinois was informed of the decision about two minutes ago, per my source. Louisville has already received Snider's Letter of Intent.

Keep it classy, Quentin.

At least they don't have to Crean anybody now when Alexander signs, right? :huh

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
So dirty, but no rules broken. I'd be more pissed at Louisville than the kid.

I just dont see how its dirty unless they paid the kid. He clearly wanted to go there, they offered him, he flipped. The kid didnt have to pick up the phone and he could have stayed with ILL.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I just dont see how its dirty unless they paid the kid. He clearly wanted to go there, they offered him, he flipped. The kid didnt have to pick up the phone and he could have stayed with ILL.

Than don't verbal and stay undecided until you sign.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Than don't verbal and stay undecided until you sign.

Yes, the kid is clearly in the wrong here, my point exactly. Calling it "dirty" alludes to something wrong with what Louisville did.

Of course coaches and schools will tell a player to kick rocks if they sign a higher ranked kid so whats the difference if the kid flips?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)

It's dirty IMO. The kids committed, you shift your focuses elsewhere and that should be understood.

Wonder if Groce takes a gamble on Lyle or Brunson now. Kind of late in the game for both though. I guess they're ok at PG with Tate and Crosby, but Snider would have been nice for 2015 and 2016.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
It's dirty IMO. The kids committed, you shift your focuses elsewhere and that should be understood.

Wonder if Groce takes a gamble on Lyle or Brunson now. Kind of late in the game for both though. I guess they're ok at PG with Tate and Crosby, but Snider would have been nice for 2015 and 2016.

I think Charles Mathews goes to Illinois. Hope Brunson goes to Ann Arbor. :P

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)

So if a kid commits to SIU, blows up his senior year and ILL offers him its dirty? I understand it hurts to lose a good player but its clearly not dirty. The defending champs called, offered, and he accepted.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)

Brunson is a 2015. I'm sure Groce will make him more of a priority now but while he grew up in Illinois with his dad having ties throughout the country being the home state school isn't going to be a huge advantage in that one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
So if a kid commits to SIU, blows up his senior year and ILL offers him its dirty? I understand it hurts to lose a good player but its clearly not dirty. The defending champs called, offered, and he accepted.

He has basically never not had an offer from them. He had a chance to decommit from Illinois 2 months ago when Lyle decommitted from Louisville and they said they weren't going to go back to Louisville and that their commitment was solid. The family has zero integrity.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
He has basically never not had an offer from them. He had a chance to decommit from Illinois 2 months ago when Lyle decommitted from Louisville and they said they weren't going to go back to Louisville and that their commitment was solid. The family has zero integrity.

Exactly. When he decommited from Louisville originally he still had an offer. It was his choice. He just didn't want to be behind Lyle it seemed. He should have reopened his recruitment immediately when Lyle left.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Exactly. When he decommited from Louisville originally he still had an offer. It was his choice. He just didn't want to be behind Lyle it seemed. He should have reopened his recruitment immediately when Lyle left.

Right, the family clearly was sketchy here. I dont see anything wrong with what LOU did.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
I think you can really take advantage of a young kid that is making a very important decision

whose to say who did that though? Forcing commitments early or while on visits is just as forceful as last minute flips. Until signing day its all so fluid.

If a stud decommits from another program to go to yours, it's cool, no problem. If he decommits from your program to go to another, he is scum, his family is scum, the school he is going to is scum. It's pretty much standard for fans of all programs.

We all have to keep in mind these are 17-18 year old kids making decisions and they have influences pulling them in every direction.

Edited by Dick Allen

Nothing will ever compare to the Payne family when it comes to changing their minds. Cully Payne was/is a mediocre at best division 1 guard. He played at at least 2 high schools, I believe 3. In 8th grade he committed to DePaul. Switched to Alabama, ultimately went to Iowa. Transferred to Loyola and left Loyola. I don't know where he is at right now. He has a sister who is on her 2nd or 3rd college playing basketball, and his younger brother committed to Loyola but in now a freshman at Ball State. I put the chances he is on Ball State's roster in 2 years at 0%.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Nothing will ever compare to the Payne family when it comes to changing their minds. Cully Payne was/is a mediocre at best division 1 guard. He played at at least 2 high schools, I believe 3. In 8th grade he committed to DePaul. Switched to Alabama, ultimately went to Iowa. Transferred to Loyola and left Loyola. I don't know where he is at right now. He has a sister who is on her 2nd or 3rd college playing basketball, and his younger brother committed to Loyola but in now a freshman at Ball State. I put the chances he is on Ball State's roster in 2 years at 0%.

His brother is doing the same thing.