Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Illinois looking to land OL Megginson and possibly one more recruit tonight. Would be huge for us, and a fantastic addition to a solid start for the 2015 class.

Ridiculously huge get. Monstrous.

"Last year, highest ranked State of Illinois recruit on the 24/7 composite list: #25. This year we've landed #4, #6, and #10. It's April."

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 01:17 AM)
Ridiculously huge get. Monstrous.

"Last year, highest ranked State of Illinois recruit on the 24/7 composite list: #25. This year we've landed #4, #6, and #10. It's April."

The number 10 guy in il is a 3 star?

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 12:36 AM)
Who cares? Also, god forbid Beckman gets credit for getting anything right...

The players will care

And what exactly did he "do" right that you wanted to give him so much credit for? Are you happy with his recruiting results since he's been hired? How about his on field results

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
The players will care

And what exactly did he "do" right that you wanted to give him so much credit for? Are you happy with his recruiting results since he's been hired? How about his on field results

When he actually gets a recruit with a reported offer list, people still want to bash him, and that annoys me. His first recruiting class was decent, last year's was bad, and this year's could be pretty good. Not everybody is Ohio State. I'll let his wins and losses this year determine if he should be fired, though it sounds like the AD won't fire him unless he wins 3 games or less, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
Rock brings up a valid point. Beckmann is obviously in a make or break year. Does Brown and Gabe stick with Illinois if he's canned?

My apologies if that was the point he was trying to make; it didn't seem like it. You never really know until it happens, but given that it's Illinois you'd have to think they wouldn't.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I'm glad Beckman is properly paving the way for the next coach. Hopefully we can keep them when he is inevitably fired

See what's great about you is you are the classic negative Illini fan. I know this fall you'll actually be rooting for them to lose (which makes the climb to respectability even tougher) instead of hoping they can turn it around and build some momentum. Let's see, first loss will likely be at Washington, I'll look forward to your fire Beckman posts after that game ends.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
I do?

It sure seems like it. Honestly, you match one other person I know for most negative Illini fan. I'm not saying Beckman has completely turned the program around now, but this was a needed step in that direction (if he ever does manage to do that). I'm excited, this would've been a tough recruit no matter who was coaching the Illini. Hopefully we keep it up and sign a damn good class and make it to a bowl this year.

We've won 1 Big Ten game in 2 years. It's pretty easy to be negative.

We have fans of other programs on the previous page saying the same things as me. It's just how we are looked at, for good reason. It's not really negativity though. It's just realistic.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Indeed. He takes more pride in being the negative, complaining Illini fan. Some people are just that way.

And then on the other side, we have Illini fans who can't see that holding on to someone for too long puts your program in an even bigger hole. The Illinois football program has been that way for the last 25 years. Every time there are some gains, they take a huge leap backwards because they hire the wrong guy and stick with him way too long. From Tepper to Turner to Zook. Illinois fans, for some strange reason, have amnesia about that and pretend that THIS time is going to be different.

I'm in the middle here. I think it takes a few seasons to dig a program out of the mud. It takes time to get the players you want. It takes time to change the culture. But you don't get 4-5 years, you get three to show real improvement. So far, only the offense has improved. This upcoming season will be a telling one. Maybe they go bowling and Beckman and Co. can continue to nab some of these good, not great, players. If they suck next year, he better be gone.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
And then on the other side, we have Illini fans who can't see that holding on to someone for too long puts your program in an even bigger hole. The Illinois football program has been that way for the last 25 years. Every time there are some gains, they take a huge leap backwards because they hire the wrong guy and stick with him way too long. From Tepper to Turner to Zook. Illinois fans, for some strange reason, have amnesia about that and pretend that THIS time is going to be different.

I'm in the middle here. I think it takes a few seasons to dig a program out of the mud. It takes time to get the players you want. It takes time to change the culture. But you don't get 4-5 years, you get three to show real improvement. So far, only the offense has improved. This upcoming season will be a telling one. Maybe they go bowling and Beckman and Co. can continue to nab some of these good, not great, players. If they suck next year, he better be gone.

And I agree with this, if we have 4 or less wins it's an immediate fire. 5 wins and he's probably safe, but has zero wiggle room.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
And I agree with this, if we have 4 or less wins it's an immediate fire. 5 wins and he's probably safe, but has zero wiggle room.

Have you seen our schedule yet this year? It's not our typically tough non con. He should have to go bowling this year since we are spotted 3 wins.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)

They should get to 5 wins without an issue. 3-1 in the nonconference, and beat two of the three against purdue/minn at home and NW on the road. Maybe you steal one of the Iowa/Penn St games at home.