Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
lost out on Kennard but picked up the 47th ranked kid in the country as a replacement. Not bad.

I read he will help you guys with Elijah Thomas also. Solid pick up

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
I read he will help you guys with Elijah Thomas also. Solid pick up

Yeah he and Russell are friends with Thomas apparently. And it looks like Mickey Mitchell is sticking. So all good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I read somewhere (247sports maybe?) that Thomas was Illinois' to lose. They're in very good with him. That'd be a heck of a pull for Groce if it happens.

Not sure how a guy from TX is ours to lose...plus he's not even announcing until Jan 2015. I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but I don't put much stock in to whoever said/thought that wherever you read it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 5, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Not sure how a guy from TX is ours to lose...plus he's not even announcing until Jan 2015. I'm as hopeful as the next guy, but I don't put much stock in to whoever said/thought that wherever you read it.

From everything I've seen, Thomas really likes Illinois. But as you said, his decision is so far away that he isn't anyone's to lose at this point. I think we'll be in it til the end unless we somehow pick up another big or two beforehand (possible, not likely).

I like where we stand, I'd love to get him and Evans which would make this class stellar, but it'll be hard to get 2 guys from TX to come here.

Gah, only 7-8 more months of talk/speculation.

http://illinois.247sports.com/Article/Illi...argets-28558065

Illini Loom Large For Texas Targets

For the first time in a while, the Illini are going fishing for talent in the Longhorn State—and they appear to be a major contender.

Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas and four-star point guard Jawun Evans are the best two players in the Dallas area, and they both like the possibility of putting on the orange and blue. The Illini are in dire need of a playmaker at point guard in the 2015 class, and Evans is making himself known as one of the best on the board. He is currently ranked as the No. 5 point guard in the class, per the 247Sports rankings.

More than 12 years ago, the Illini landed a modestly-known point guard from Texas by the name of name of Deron Williams. Evans’ high school (Kimball) is located just around 30 miles south of Williams’ hometown in The Colony, Texas. Williams became one of the best point guards in the country—a legend cemented into Illini history. The current Illinois staff would love for Evans, and Thomas, to follow those footsteps.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Its going to be a battle for him, we have Mitchell and Grandstaff all over him.

Jawun Evans is looking more and more like Illinois as well, that would be a coup if we got both (and one of them coming here helps with the other I'm sure).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Jawun Evans is looking more and more like Illinois as well, that would be a coup if we got both (and one of them coming here helps with the other I'm sure).

I'd lose my f***ing mind if both actually ended up at Illinois*

*After they signed

That said, it's recruiting, who the f*** knows, things change by the minute. I'd be thrilled with one, or any other big time recruit to add to this class.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Ty Isaac transferring back near home from USC. Illinois in the mix.

So is NW and NIU from what I hear. Illinois isnt all that close to home if he's really going there to be by his "sick mother".

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
So is NW and NIU from what I hear. Illinois isnt all that close to home if he's really going there to be by his "sick mother".

This is true but if USC fouled up the waiver process which is rumored; he will be heading to Notre Dame.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)

It is less than a 2 hour drive from Joliet. Evanston is over an hour drive without traffic and will usually take way longer than that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
This is true but if USC fouled up the waiver process which is rumored; he will be heading to Notre Dame.

Also closer than Illinois. I forgot to add ND in there.

I like him as a back, but I dont think he's a future star.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Also closer than Illinois. I forgot to add ND in there.

I like him as a back, but I dont think he's a future star.

Closer by what, 5 miles. That doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things here.

Is it likely we get him no, but in the mix, you have a shot. We have Ferguson plus he said he's looking at BT schools in the area.

Not sure ND is a fit if he's concerned about playing time.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 16, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Closer by what, 5 miles. That doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things here.

Is it likely we get him know, but in the mix, you have a shot. We have Ferguson plus he said he's looking at BT schools in the area.

Not sure ND is a fit if he's concerned about playing time.

Doesnt make it any less true.

The Big Ten thing is interesting, looks like NW or ILL and I'm not clear if he had the grades to get into NW.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)

The Big Ten thing is interesting, looks like NW or ILL and I'm not clear if he had the grades to get into NW.

>>inferring you need decent grades to play Northwestern football

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)

But you're sitting here arguing distances in relation to the recruitment and how it might impact it, then throw in that ND is also closer than Illinois, as if it's actually relevant when it's a ridiculously low difference. It's irrelevant at that point. That will have 0% basis on where he goes. If he comes out and says "I picked Notre Dame over Illinois simply because on a good day it's 5 minutes closer to Joliet," I'll eat my hat.

I'm guessing you didn't realize Champaign wasn't THAT far down state.

Hell, as was pointed out earlier I'm guessing the distance between NW and Champaign is almost irrelevant when you consider the drive. They're probably all one in the same at this point and he'll go based on fit.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 16, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
But you're sitting here arguing distances in relation to the recruitment and how it might impact it, then throw in that ND is also closer than Illinois, as if it's actually relevant when it's a ridiculously low difference. It's irrelevant at that point. That will have 0% basis on where he goes. If he comes out and says "I picked Notre Dame over Illinois simply because on a good day it's 5 minutes closer to Joliet," I'll eat my hat.

I'm guessing you didn't realize Champaign wasn't THAT far down state.

Hell, as was pointed out earlier I'm guessing the distance between NW and Champaign is almost irrelevant when you consider the drive. They're probably all one in the same at this point and he'll go based on fit.

No, I just forgot he was from Shorewood. From your place ND is closer than ILL, its about 90 min.

The fact that he's spoken to Michigan though kind of makes almost every school in range as thats about 4 hours or so away if not more.