Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Yeah, but at least there's a point system where guys who make the picks early get more credit than guys that change their prediction after the writing is on the wall. Some of those guys, like Meyer, seem to be pretty good at their jobs.

At some point Groce is going to land some big recruits (he is already recruiting well IMO, but even better in the future). There's no doubt in my mind. In less than 2 years he's been in the "finals" of more 5* guys than I can remember in the last 10 years. He clearly connects with the recruits and their families and once Illinois starts being nationally ranked consistently they'll start rolling in.

I think this year he gets his stud PG in Evans to go with Crosby and Williams. Maybe he grabs Thomas too. That, to me, is a helluva class for a program that hasn't won s*** in 8-9 years. Bragg sounds like a pipe dream, but at least we're being considered.

Thomas looks like a real possibility here. Groce apparently has the best personal relationship with Bragg as well.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Thomas looks like a real possibility here. Groce apparently has the best personal relationship with Bragg as well.

If he could somehow land Thomas and Evans (who everyone seems to be absolutely raving about lately), that would do wonders. Finally would have the playmaking PG.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
If he could somehow land Thomas and Evans (who everyone seems to be absolutely raving about lately), that would do wonders. Finally would have the playmaking PG.

That's a hell of a haul.

To Illini fans: Were you upset when Cliff Alexander momentarily put an Illini hat on his head on his commitment day, then put the Kansas hat on his head? Or do you just figure it's a young kid having a little fun on his big day? Just curious.

Big Cliff is out 3 weeks with a badly sprained ankle. His back was sore earlier this summer as well. Is he injury prone?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
They keep talking about playing together, too, so who knows.

It appears we are only in on Esa so if you guys pull that the conference looks like it's continuing it's deadliness

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
To Illini fans: Were you upset when Cliff Alexander momentarily put an Illini hat on his head on his commitment day, then put the Kansas hat on his head? Or do you just figure it's a young kid having a little fun on his big day? Just curious.

Big Cliff is out 3 weeks with a badly sprained ankle. His back was sore earlier this summer as well. Is he injury prone?

I clicked "latest post" and apparently I haven't read this thread since November?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
I clicked "latest post" and apparently I haven't read this thread since November?

I mean from what I gathered, Illinois fans were super happy with getting f***ed around on national tv and then not getting a huge prospect. They had house parties in his honor

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Sounds like mudiay will be going overseas instead of playing for smu next year. Eligibility issues.

Damn. IU's best non-conference home game was either Pitt or SMU. Definitely takes SMU down a notch.

I just completed the NCAA Eligibility training for HS coaches. Crap, there is a lot of stuff to do if you are or are around a potential Div 2 or Div 1 athlete and it begins during the sophomore year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Eron Gordon has been ruled ineligible for Indianapolis Cathedral after his transfer from North Central.

Can he go back to NC ?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
It would. Aaron Jordan and DJ Williams are having really good summers also. I think Evans is key to the class, Illinois really needs a true PG.

Sounds like he might rise up to a McD's AA too. At all these events he's billed as the best PG there.

I think he's the best chance. Clearly has a great relationship with Groce, they've been on him for a while, and there's no Kentucky or Kansas in the mix. He's buddies with Thomas, so maybe we get a package deal of sorts. Bragg I think is a pipe dream with the other schools involved, but who knows.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
Sounds like he might rise up to a McD's AA too. At all these events he's billed as the best PG there.

I think he's the best chance. Clearly has a great relationship with Groce, they've been on him for a while, and there's no Kentucky or Kansas in the mix. He's buddies with Thomas, so maybe we get a package deal of sorts. Bragg I think is a pipe dream with the other schools involved, but who knows.

Bragg has been real pro Illini as of late. And Thomas was showing some Illini love on Instagram the other day. Encouraging to see.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Bragg has been real pro Illini as of late. And Thomas was showing some Illini love on Instagram the other day. Encouraging to see.

Encouraging, but remember Evans and Thomas haven't even been on campus yet. Bragg may have been but I can't remember.

I think we get Evans, Thomas seems to love the attention and it just so happens Illinois fans are giving it to him. Whether that means he comes to Illinois I have no idea, we have a good shot but I would not be surprised at all to see him go elsewhere (Rock/OSU stay away from him already).

Bragg, while the staff has been doing a fantastic job recruiting him, I just don't see him turning down UK/KU at this point for Illinois.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Encouraging, but remember Evans and Thomas haven't even been on campus yet. Bragg may have been but I can't remember.

I think we get Evans, Thomas seems to love the attention and it just so happens Illinois fans are giving it to him. Whether that means he comes to Illinois I have no idea, we have a good shot but I would not be surprised at all to see him go elsewhere (Rock/OSU stay away from him already).

Bragg, while the staff has been doing a fantastic job recruiting him, I just don't see him turning down UK/KU at this point for Illinois.

Bragg has definitely been on campus. He has mentioned that he had a fantastic visit and that it would be hard for other teams to top it. It happened last year I believe.

I agree with everything you said though. I think the Illini get Evans, have an okay shot with Thomas, and I don't think Bragg comes (especially considering he's waiting until spring I think)

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
Bragg has definitely been on campus. He has mentioned that he had a fantastic visit and that it would be hard for other teams to top it. It happened last year I believe.

I agree with everything you said though. I think the Illini get Evans, have an okay shot with Thomas, and I don't think Bragg comes (especially considering he's waiting until spring I think)

Yea I thought he had been, I know we had an in home visit with him in which he stated that it put Illinois right at the top of his list (by that I mean top 3). Can't remember if he had the same comments after a campus visit.