Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
Well you are right, but Texas basically just offers the top 50 kids in Texas, tells them there are 25 spots open, and says it's first come, first serve. As a result of that, along with the popularity of HS football and the Horns down there, they have 25 verbals and a top recruiting class by about March every year, way before almost anybody else in the nation. Thus, as a result, if a guy or two strays (which does happen), they just pull the offer and have plenty of time to get somebody else. So while your correct, that's kind of a unique situation.

Michigan threatened to pull Cissoko's offer and ND was using that strategy this year as well.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Michigan threatened to pull Cissoko's offer and ND was using that strategy this year as well.

There was no chance in hell Michigan was ever going to pull Cissoko's offer, that was posturing. You are correct on ND however, but you have to be very picky and keep people away from other places when your coming off a 3-9 year and don't play in a conference, so that's understandable.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
There was no chance in hell Michigan was ever going to pull Cissoko's offer, that was pondering. You are correct on ND however, but you have to be very picky and keep people away from other places when your coming off a 3-9 year and don't play in a conference, so that's understandable.

Posturing. It's posturing, my NIU friend.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)

That's BS on Cissoko.

With the coaching change and their big time need for DB's, there was no way they would even take that stance. You are simply hearing internet BS on that one. They have had other commits that have visited other places and that stance was not taken. BooBoo was just second-guessing himself and they talked him into being patient and let the process play out.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
I'm seeing Jereme Richmond in person tonight, I'll report back with what I see.

The game is on MEtv tonight.

Let me know how many times he yells at his teammates and acts lazy cuz things don't go his way.

Richmond is an amazing talent, he had 23 points and about 20 rebounds by my unofficial count. However, the team they were playing stinks, his teammates stink, and his attitude appears to stink. However, he's as hell of a talent and still only a sophomore, so in that respect I am very impressed.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Richmond is an amazing talent, he had 23 points and about 20 rebounds by my unofficial count. However, the team they were playing stinks, his teammates stink, and his attitude appears to stink. However, he's as hell of a talent and still only a sophomore, so in that respect I am very impressed.

I watched the game last night and that was one of his better nights towards his team. He usually yells and slacks a lot more. You can't gauge him vs. Niles West. They play At New Trier next week.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)

Have you gotten a chance to see Crandall Head yet? Because he is freaking amazing as well. Same type of talent as Richmond, maybe just a small notch below.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Have you gotten a chance to see Crandall Head yet? Because he is freaking amazing as well. Same type of talent as Richmond, maybe just a small notch below.

I'd rank Crandall Head the #1 sophomore in the state, #2 would be Lenzelle Smith from Zion, Richmond #3

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
I'd rank Crandall Head the #1 sophomore in the state, #2 would be Lenzelle Smith from Zion, Richmond #3

All the local sites have Richmond #1, and Head at two, with the exception of MidStateHoops who has the reverse. Smith is usually in the 5-7 range.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
All the local sites have Richmond #1, and Head at two, with the exception of MidStateHoops who has the reverse. Smith is usually in the 5-7 range.

I see Richmond and Smith play every week. Lenzelle > Jereme

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)

Yeah I have, Richmond just impresses me more since he's taller. I know it's not fair, but that's kind of the tiebreaker for me, they are both insanely good.

On recruiting. I have talked about this in another thread, but I know people who run HS BBall events. We are having one on the 16th of FEB at Welsh Ryan Arena. It starts at 7:00. Game on is Waukegan (Richmond) vs. Oak Park River Forest (Shumpert). Game two follows that game and features E Chicago Central (IND) (Angel Garcia) vs New Trier. I believe for you guys who are interested on top talent, there are close to EIGHT DI prospects playing in these two games. Call NU's box office for tickets

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
#10 QB in the nation commits to Duke,

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&am...amp;nid=2789796

Seriously.

He's a heck of a pick-up. I don't even have a joke to make about it.

Pretty good considering the offers he received, Oregon State, ASU, Boise, Duke. I would def put Duke last on that list probably.

For Illinois fans...article on Alex Legion.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...921/1002/SPORTS

Legion settling in after joining Illini

Says 'heart wasn't really in it' at UK despite its 'great coach'

By Brett Dawson

[email protected]

The Courier-Journal

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Alex Legion looks the part.

Decked out in an orange-and-blue windbreaker, he sits on Illinois' bench, cheering his new teammates, looking like a man who's found a basketball home.

But looks can be deceiving.

It's been almost two months since he decided to leave the University of Kentucky, and though Legion said he has no regrets, it clearly will take more than changes of clothes and address to settle the nomadic freshman.

"I never really feel at home," he said Sunday after watching the Illini beat Northwestern. "I've just moved around so much."

This, finally, figures to be a long layover.

Legion won't be allowed to suit up for the Illini until December. He'll be a sophomore for the second half of the 2008-09 season, with two years of eligibility after that.

Not long ago, the Detroit native was considered a recruiting coup for first-year UK coach Billy Gillispie. After switching high schools and shifting collegiate allegiances -- he signed with Michigan, then backed out -- Legion appeared to have found a destination in Lexington, Ky.

To hear Legion tell it now, he never was fully committed to that marriage. His mother, Annette, wanted him to attend UK, he said. His AAU coaches thought it was a good fit.

"My heart wasn't really in it," he said.

So after six games, he asked for a release to transfer.

"I guess it got out there that I hated Coach Gillispie, and that's not true at all," Legion said. "I just didn't feel like it was the best fit for me basketball-wise. I had to make, basically, a business decision."

So he moved on. And now, Legion said, he's run out of stops.

Though NCAA rules don't prohibit another transfer, if Legion were to leave Illinois for another four-year school he'd have to sit out an additional year, and he said one is enough.

"This is it for me," he said. "I'm not going to go to junior college, so I'm here."

Bruce Weber believes that, but Illinois' coach needed to be convinced.

"Initially, Alex and his people approached us and said, 'We want to come,' and I said, 'No, I want you to come up here and see it and see if it's a fit,' " Weber said. "I think they were a little taken aback at first, but he had no more chances left. He had to be sure this was right."

Annette Legion told multiple media outlets that she wanted her son to transfer to Notre Dame, and his choice of Illinois was seen by some as a show of independence.

But Legion said it was as simple as picking a better basketball fit than the one he had in Lexington. He's excited by Illinois' motion offense, which he said plays to his strengths as a shooter who makes good use of screens.

"I think we're going to be good in the future," he said.

UK is in the past.

The blue-and-white Wildcats gear he used to wear is gone -- much of it given to his brother in the Army, stationed in Missouri -- but Legion still keeps tabs on the Cats.

Legion said he speaks regularly with his old roommate, Patrick Patterson, and said that he left on good terms with Gillispie, whom he called "a great coach." He asked for an update on Derrick Jasper's health and expressed hope his old teammates will continue the winning trend they started last week.

For the most part, though, he's ready to move on. He figures the feeling's mutual.

"When I left, the majority of the fans were so mad at Coach Gillispie, they were kind of like, 'We wish you would stay, and he would go,' " Legion said. "But you know how fans are. I'm sure now that they're playing better, it's like, 'Alex, we didn't need you anyway.' "

Brett Dawson can be reached at (859) 523-0706.