Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Absolutely huge get for the Illini. Congrats.

it's amazing. in a relatively short period of time weber went from a great coach who can't recruit to a great recruiter who can't coach.

good times.

There is a distinct possibility that the Illini are going to be really good again in a couple or few years, and Bruce Weber should tithe to Jerrance Howard if so. The difference in recruiting between now and pre Jerrance is astounding, he might be saving Weber's job. I will say however credit is also due to Jereme Richmond who started this snowball effect in recruiting, as well as the new Weber strategy of first come first serve offers, which is a big reason this is happening as well.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
it's amazing. in a relatively short period of time weber went from a great coach who can't recruit to a great recruiter who can't coach.

good times.

No kidding, weird isn't it? Self's recruits, up til now, have done better in Weber's motion offense than Weber's recruits. I find myself yelling "MOVE!" at the TV when I get to watch the Illini. I can't wait for 2009!

QUOTE(Harvin4Heisman @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
On recruiting. I have talked about this in another thread, but I know people who run HS BBall events. We are having one on the 16th of FEB at Welsh Ryan Arena. It starts at 7:00. Game on is Waukegan (Richmond) vs. Oak Park River Forest (Shumpert). Game two follows that game and features E Chicago Central (IND) (Angel Garcia) vs New Trier. I believe for you guys who are interested on top talent, there are close to EIGHT DI prospects playing in these two games. Call NU's box office for tickets

I probably won't make it, but I've been to most of E. C. Central's games and they are in a bit of a lull right now, hopefully,they along with Angel will pick it up down the stretch to have a chance at defending their state title.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
No kidding, weird isn't it?

it is. just think, on oct. 9 mario little committed to kansas. this was just the latest major loss for weber. since then, the following players (not in order) have committed: alex legion, stan simpson, d.j. richardson, joseph bertrand, brandon paul, tyler griffey, and crandall head. that's just nuts when you consider what was going on for the years before that. props to jerrance howard.

Edited by thedoctor

i find these comments hilarious. honestly i dont think howard has done anything. yeah he's a good recruiting tool, but i think its more that weber has been recruiting and offering scholarships much earlier. Instead of hoping a senior commits, he's basically offering 2-3 so's and jr's schollies and telling them the first to commit gets to play at Illinois.

Also, whats this commit mean for Young? I really liked what I saw from him. Do we still have a scholarship for him?

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
i find these comments hilarious. honestly i dont think howard has done anything. yeah he's a good recruiting tool, but i think its more that weber has been recruiting and offering scholarships much earlier. Instead of hoping a senior commits, he's basically offering 2-3 so's and jr's schollies and telling them the first to commit gets to play at Illinois.

Also, whats this commit mean for Young? I really liked what I saw from him. Do we still have a scholarship for him?

Howard has connections that Weber could only dream of.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)

Your recruiting comments show an amazing lack of knowledge. As fathom said, Howard has connections Weber can only dream of, and as I said, if this program gets really good again due to these recruits, Howard deserves the vast majority of the credit. And Weber offered guys like Scheyer and Gordon and Rose and Collins (etc) very early, he was even the first high major coach on Iman Shumpert. The problem was, he could not close the deal and use inside connections, but now with Howard, that is no longer an issue.

And there is no room for anymore players until 2011 due to the verbals accumulated, as far as I'm aware of.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Your recruiting comments show an amazing lack of knowledge. As fathom said, Howard has connections Weber can only dream of, and as I said, if this program gets really good again due to these recruits, Howard deserves the vast majority of the credit. And Weber offered guys like Scheyer and Gordon and Rose and Collins (etc) very early, he was even the first high major coach on Iman Shumpert. The problem was, he could not close the deal and use inside connections, but now with Howard, that is no longer an issue.

And there is no room for anymore players until 2011 due to the verbals accumulated, as far as I'm aware of.

Howard does not have all these amazing connections that you guys make out he has. That was the biggest complaint with him getting the job in the first place, that he was a young and up and coming coach who had not yet established himself(another Peoria coach, remember?"), and he was taking a job that was trying to solve a state-of-emergency.

So yes, he's done a brilliant job of establishing himself just about everywhere in the stater, and is still learning on the job(which is scary in a good way). That said, I think this just shows how truly inept Webster was more than anything. How you can't attract anything to the only high-major program in the state is beyond me.

to me, you have to give jerrance credit. now does he deserve all of the credit? heck no. it's not that simple. but, a lot of times a key component of recruiting is image and perception. there is no doubt jerrance helped change that.

and from a practical standpoint, i think his hiring sealed the deal with richardson, who in turn turned into a recruiter and got bertrand on board. we were already in good shape with paul, so him joining was no surprise. jerrance also gets the majority of the credit for legion, because it's been widely reported that they had a great relationship at kentucky. i don't think he was the key piece with simpson (illinois was his best option) or head (who just loves illinois). with griffey i give weber credit and i don't think there was a coincidence he committed shortly after cooley got his offer. this shows he has learned from some past mistakes.

in terms of his connections, i think he immediately put us in a better situation with larry butler, who had a somewhat contentious relationship with weber prior to jerrance. now how are his other connections? i have no idea. i do love the fact that he has another two years to develop relationships before illinois is in a position where it starts having a great need. really our classes our filled out until 2011 barring a transfer or two. i still would love to have anthony johnson on board, but i don't know if there is room.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
Apparently us and Wisconsin are the two favorites right now for little McCamey. Be a nice get. Our 08 class is fantastic but we need to start grabbing some guys for 09-'10

That would rock, but don't like competing with the Badgers.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

Please give me a list of names. Seriously. I fail to believe that a nationally recognized coach at a good D1 program has less connections than a local nobody in the state of Illinois. I think you lack the knowledge of how the recruiting game works. The other issue, as I pointed out in my post, is that Weber not only is offering these guys earlier, after starting connections with them earlier, but he's also handing out scholarships to 2 or 3 kids and telling them first come, first serve. In the past he put all of his eggs in one basket and hoped for the best. And please cite me some examples of kids who commit to a school and when asked why say "well, i gotta tell you, i really really love asst coach X. I mean we hit it off real good. I can't wait to play under him at practice and listen to his film sessions. BTW the real coach is cool, but I only committed because of asst coach X."

I still don't know how, but Weber has become a damned if you do, damned if you don't public figure. He coaches like crazy, and gets all the accolades in the world, but fanatics apparently can tell he's not a good coach. He misses out on top recruits a couple years in a row (BIG TIME recruits, recruits that Illinois has had like 5 times in their entire history), and he can't recruit. He finally starts pulling in top 20, top 10 style classes, and he still can't recruit, some new guy on the bench should get all the credit.

I can't wait until firezook.com starts up again because he's not pulling in 5 blue chip recruits every year. He can't recruit. Let's get rid of him. GMAFB.

/rant

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Please give me a list of names. Seriously. I fail to believe that a nationally recognized coach at a good D1 program has less connections than a local nobody in the state of Illinois. I think you lack the knowledge of how the recruiting game works. The other issue, as I pointed out in my post, is that Weber not only is offering these guys earlier, after starting connections with them earlier, but he's also handing out scholarships to 2 or 3 kids and telling them first come, first serve. In the past he put all of his eggs in one basket and hoped for the best. And please cite me some examples of kids who commit to a school and when asked why say "well, i gotta tell you, i really really love asst coach X. I mean we hit it off real good. I can't wait to play under him at practice and listen to his film sessions. BTW the real coach is cool, but I only committed because of asst coach X."

I still don't know how, but Weber has become a damned if you do, damned if you don't public figure. He coaches like crazy, and gets all the accolades in the world, but fanatics apparently can tell he's not a good coach. He misses out on top recruits a couple years in a row (BIG TIME recruits, recruits that Illinois has had like 5 times in their entire history), and he can't recruit. He finally starts pulling in top 20, top 10 style classes, and he still can't recruit, some new guy on the bench should get all the credit.

I can't wait until firezook.com starts up again because he's not pulling in 5 blue chip recruits every year. He can't recruit. Let's get rid of him. GMAFB.

/rant

Wow, that rant was a waste of time. Bruce Weber is a very good in game coach and a bad recruiter. He's finally getting a lot of good players, and about 3/4 of the reason for that is Jerrance Howard. Now, admittedly, despite the fact Howard is the reason for the recruiting revival, Bruce still got Richmond without him AND hired Howard in the first place, so he deserves some credit. But it's still complete fact that the vast majority of the reason for and the occurance of the recruiting revival is Jerrance Howard. Problem is, Illinois will not make the tournament again until either 2009-2010 or 2010-2011, so Bruce Weber is going to have a lot of negative inventory against him by then.

And lol at your Zook comments, he's saved the program, so anybody that rips him for any reason other than a 3-9 season that isn't coming is stupid.

Illinois football lands two guys for '09. Lendell Buckner (DT) and Leon Hill (OT)) of Leo High School. Both are 4* caliber players and Hill already rates as the 45th best player in the country. Add these guys with Melvin Fellows whom was rated as the top player in Ohio by some dude with a website--FWIW--and the '09 class is shaping up to join the '09 bball class as top ten in the country. I think this is only the beginning and would not be surprised to see 3-4 5-stars and 10-12 4-star prospects in Illinois' class. The 5-stars will be Drummond, Je'ron Stokes and hopefully someone else and the four-stars will be the aforementioned three as well as other top Illinois talent, Pennsylvania talent, Ohio talent and Florida talent. A big key tho, is a QB in this class. We need a top guy, not that I don't trust Charest, but to keep up with the OSU and Michigans in the big ten and the rest of the top programs in the country, you need a 4-star Qb or better every year.