Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...351/1018/SPORTS

Just wow, I don't even know how to explain this one.

Someone was apparently calling this kid and impersonating Cal head coach Jeff Tedford, and even went so far to send a bogus LOI.

I feel awful for that kid. You would have think if he never met with Tedford, he should have known better. But, that's just terrible. What kind of jackass would do that to a kid?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
You Bucknuts still think you are getting Terrelle Pryor on Wednesday? It sounds as if he is going to decide and announce on Wed. now, when it looked as though he was going to wait.

I know its a 50/50 chance. I know UM needs him more.

I'm saying 52/48 he goes to OSU.

I'm not sure how bad Michigan really needs him per se. They really need to QB's. It's not a given that he would start as a frosh, nor is it a guarantee that would be a good thing. But either way, they can't win with only 2 1/2 QB's on the roster. Don't get me wrong, UM wants him and could definitely use him, but I don't think they are as desparate as many may think. They have many other weapons, although many of them are young as well.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Another report from Rivals.....

Terrelle Pryor still may not sign on Wednesday.

Other media outlets reported Monday that Pryor was 80-90 percent sure he would sign on Wednesday and that he had eliminated Oregon. But according to Farrell, nothing has changed with Pryor. The quarterback from Jeanette, Pa., said he has no definite plans to sign with anyone on Wednesday.

"I spoke to Pryor, and he said the report was incorrect," Farrell said. "He said was still 50/50 whether he'd sign or not, and Oregon is not eliminated. He said it's still Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State if he signs Wednesday, and Oregon is in the mix if he waits."

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Rumor on the Illinois Scout bored that Harper will sign with Illinois. If that's the case, Zook is ridiculous.

Rumor on CaneSport and Warchant is he's going to Miami. Who knows, but I hope he goes to UofI.

I love recruiting. I feel good bout Julio again...I don't care if he looks like a Bama lock, we'll find out in 2 days. Until then I'll keep my hopes up and be crushed on NSD.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
Rumor on CaneSport and Warchant is he's going to Miami. Who knows, but I hope he goes to UofI.

I love recruiting. I feel good bout Julio again...I don't care if he looks like a Bama lock, we'll find out in 2 days. Until then I'll keep my hopes up and be crushed on NSD.

Harper is going to everywhere according to those respective teams' boards. It will be interesting to see where he chooses, but as an Illinois fan, I like the Zooker in the underdog role, but I don't think Harper even knows where he wants to go yet.

4* RB out of Jacksonville. He's 6'0" 210lb but runs a 4.4. Rivals has him as a FB for some reason? The kid has some good wheels though and he kicked ass at the Under Armour game. Used to be high on UF, but that changed during the bowl games. I think Clemson leads, people in Florida think UM leads, and I hope FSU leads. UofI has a better chance than FSU though.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
4* RB out of Jacksonville. He's 6'0" 210lb but runs a 4.4. Rivals has him as a FB for some reason? The kid has some good wheels though and he kicked ass at the Under Armour game. Used to be high on UF, but that changed during the bowl games. I think Clemson leads, people in Florida think UM leads, and I hope FSU leads. UofI has a better chance than FSU though.

ahh thanks

QUOTE(Shadows @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:17 AM)
With the success of Mendenhall under Zook I would hope more top RBs start looking at Illinois, especially with Mendenhall leaving early..

i think it depends on the back, his style, and future aspirations. some backs don't like to play in the spread option because it is not a legitimate nfl offense. the running plays you run in spread option are more often not what you are going to run in the nfl, so that could be a hindrance for some people. i know on pretty good authority that mendenhall was not a fan of the spread because it didn't give him the best case to showcase his skills for nfl teams.

Liuget is in, as I said a few days ago. Harper is 50/50 between Illinois and Miami, but might be leaning towards Illinois because Liuget picked the O&B over the Canes. Might be a surprise signee tomorrow as well. That's all I got, not much but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Oh, and Notre Dame got a verbal from 2009 power forward Jack Cooley of Glenbrook South. With Illinois already getting Griffey, and Cooley's game being pretty similar to current ND star Luke Harangody, I think this is a very good fit for both sides.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
i think it depends on the back, his style, and future aspirations. some backs don't like to play in the spread option because it is not a legitimate nfl offense. the running plays you run in spread option are more often not what you are going to run in the nfl, so that could be a hindrance for some people. i know on pretty good authority that mendenhall was not a fan of the spread because it didn't give him the best case to showcase his skills for nfl teams.

True, doc, but more and more NFL teams are using modified spread offenses. It will never be the same as college spreads, but those skills translate more than they did even 5 years ago.

For those of you familar with Illinois football, how much of a role was expected for the frosh (LB I think), who is accused of shooting off his gun at some bar, and has since been suspended for now. I think Erique Robertson was the name I saw. He is being charged, so it sounds like he may be in some trouble.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)

Well im pretty sure when hes drafted in round one and a millionaire he will be pretty happy about his season in that spread option went..

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
For those of you familar with Illinois football, how much of a role was expected for the frosh (LB I think), who is accused of shooting off his gun at some bar, and has since been suspended for now. I think Erique Robertson was the name I saw. He is being charged, so it sounds like he may be in some trouble.

i am fairly certain he gawn.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
Liuget is in, as I said a few days ago. Harper is 50/50 between Illinois and Miami, but might be leaning towards Illinois because Liuget picked the O&B over the Canes. Might be a surprise signee tomorrow as well. That's all I got, not much but I figured I'd post it anyways.

Oh, and Notre Dame got a verbal from 2009 power forward Jack Cooley of Glenbrook South. With Illinois already getting Griffey, and Cooley's game being pretty similar to current ND star Luke Harangody, I think this is a very good fit for both sides.

Cooley was going to commit to the Illini this past weekend, which is why Griffey hurried up and made his choice.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Cooley was going to commit to the Illini this past weekend, which is why Griffey hurried up and made his choice.

Indeed, it was a brilliant ploy by the Illini to get Griffey on board, too. Griffey is a much better player, so I'm glad it worked out.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Another report from Rivals.....

Terrelle Pryor still may not sign on Wednesday.

Other media outlets reported Monday that Pryor was 80-90 percent sure he would sign on Wednesday and that he had eliminated Oregon. But according to Farrell, nothing has changed with Pryor. The quarterback from Jeanette, Pa., said he has no definite plans to sign with anyone on Wednesday.

"I spoke to Pryor, and he said the report was incorrect," Farrell said. "He said was still 50/50 whether he'd sign or not, and Oregon is not eliminated. He said it's still Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State if he signs Wednesday, and Oregon is in the mix if he waits."

Farrell also reported the exact opposite right after. He has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow, hes declaring.