Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
True, doc, but more and more NFL teams are using modified spread offenses. It will never be the same as college spreads, but those skills translate more than they did even 5 years ago.

well, i see the spread more in the passing game than in the running game. i am not sure that the zone read, pretty much the meat and potatoes of the illinois running game, is ever going to be a realistic option in the pros. that would require the quarterback to be an option on the run and i don't ever see that materializing in the nfl.

either way, i don't mean to say i don't think illinois will get great running back recruits, and harper could be another example of that tomorrow. zook is good enough to overcome such trifling things.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Don't be so sure about that....

Indeed, I'd say it's 50/50 at best he'll declare tomorrow. If he does, I'd be pretty surprised if it's not Ohio State, but if he waits......Ohio State is in trouble IMO. And Illinois will be fine if Jason Ford qualifies, regardless of what Harper does tomorrow. Mr. Ford is going to be a really good one at the next level and might get significant burn this fall if Harper goes to Clemson or DA U.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

So it appears pryor's dad told him not to sign and take an official visit to penn state. I'm not sure why he would do that when they are far back in third place at this point. Pryor appears to be the type of kid who doesn't want to dissapoint people so he will visit and once again choose between osu and um.

On a good note, orhian johnson committed to the bucks somewhat out of the blue.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
So it appears pryor's dad told him not to sign and take an official visit to penn state. I'm not sure why he would do that when they are far back in third place at this point. Pryor appears to be the type of kid who doesn't want to dissapoint people so he will visit and once again choose between osu and um.

On a good note, orhian johnson committed to the bucks somewhat out of the blue.

Admittedly I'm not in the kid's shoes, but what's Pryor have to think about? I hate Michigan (as an Illinois fan), but man that'd be a perfect place for him. He's going to a system that would be designed for him from Day 1, he's going to a program that's one of the tops in the nation, it's "on the decline" and in need of a championship (i.e. he'd become a god there if he brought a championship). I don't see the draw to OS. PSU I could kinda see - give JoPa his last winning year, send him out the right way, be the man to do it, etc.

On a related note, anyone else think the Mallett stuff is bogus? Why should he get a waiver when no one else has? The NCAA has come down with a strict rule that you sign with the school, not the coach/program. We all know that's BS, but the NCAA would look pretty stupid if it retreated from that position and allowed it. They'd create a free-agent market in college sports.

Why does osu make sense? Coaching stability, already a top talent base in tact, better nfl qb preparation, better facilities, bigger city, already close friends, 3 of the top senior lineman in the country in your class, a better chance to win the big ten and go to a title game, etc, etc. Pryor wants to play in the nfl, dickrod's option read isn't really the best system to develop nfl qb's. Tressell has already shown he can develop a running qb into a good passer who is nfl ready.

Psu makes zero sense, your coach could leave at any second, why would you want to stall your development like that? Not to mention its not exactly the ideal place for qb development.

what's QB development when he's already talked about so much? He can have the crappiest two years in college football history and I guarantee you he'd be drafted if he left his junior year.

Don't get me wrong, OSU is great. But I guess I would look beyond that if I was in his shoes. For the same reason Zook is getting big recruits to come to champaign: come be the center of attention here instead of just another great player there.

And no offense, cuz i know OSU has had some good COLLEGE qb's, but when's the last great OSU qb to play in the NFL? Curt Krenziel?

Did you really want to spell krenzels name wrong? And its not osu, its the coaches. Tressell has basically had 3 qb's, krenzel who he developed into a starting nfl qb (with zero talent). And troy smith who was recruited as an athlete and is starting for the ravens. Now he has boekman who most likely will be drafted higher than smith was. Osu's program since tress has been there has been sending player into the nfl at the second highest rate in the country (last I checked, may have changed). Dickrod's system although dominant in college is not run in the nfl and many believe it stunts the growth of nfl qb's to be.

And to the point of coming to a school that is leaner on talent to be a star, if I was a player, I would rather be surrounded by top talent and have a better chance to win a title than be a big fish in a small pond. This is also evident in the top 5 class osu has amassed this year and the incredible start for next year.

Can't say I'm not happy. UNC and Tech both had tiny classes at 18 and 16 respectively, but both got what they needed. UNC will probably end up with 10 4 stars if Davidson announces for UNC later today like it has been speculated. TTU got the immediate DL help they needed, and provided even more depth with some huge OL.

Not pissed, but upset with Julio going to Bama. The coaches thought he was as close to a lock as you can get until last night. Something changed. Whatever, I hate missing out on that talent, but I like getting Fortson (who ESPN probably still doesnt list us as a choice for him). It's been a s***ty day in general though. TJ to USC (better than UM), Harper to Clemson (no doubt about that in the last couple of weeks), and Julio to Bama.

In the next couple of weeks we should get commitments from Jacobbi McDaniel, Willie Downs, and Lonnie Pryor which will be a good start to 09.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Is there a particular reason why the Illini get so many DC recruits? Mainly from Dunbar...

Ex-Maryland assistant Mike Locksley who's now an asst at Illinois. He essentially rules over the DC area these days. I read an article the other day that says Illinois is more popular in some high schools (Dunbar for example) than Maryland.

Two of the top RBs still uncommitted today left me really disappointed... 5-star Enrique Davis picking Ole Miss over Tenn, and Harper picking Clemson over Illinois.

Miami just picked up another stud. Randy Shannon is bringing that program back.