Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Proof?

Come on man, its ok, hes a nice guy just has some baggage with him. And hes not even close to the shadiest coach in the Big Ten right now anyway. Here is some quotes from Joe Tiller who is very well respected around the league.

A star recruit's signing-day decision to renege on an oral commitment had Purdue football coach Joe Tiller fuming Wednesday.

Roy Roundtree, a nationally ranked receiver and kick returner from Ohio, signed with Michigan on the first day of the college football signing period.

Roundtree committed to Purdue in May and reaffirmed his decision many times since.

He signed with new Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez after a visit to Ann Arbor, Mich., last weekend.

"If we had an early signing date, you wouldn't have another outfit with a guy in a wizard hat selling snake oil get a guy at the last minute, but that's what happened," Tiller said.

Tiller, heading into his final season at Purdue, said he's concerned about a loss of integrity among Big Ten coaches.

"There has been an unspoken rule that if a guy commits and you've been recruiting him hard, you always call them up and say, 'Are you sure about this?' If he says yes, you back off.

"We had a basketball issue where that wasn't true. We have a football issue where that isn't true, so maybe that's changing."

and another

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...eDwuaMy4HJzE%3D

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear i have more reasons to hate Michigan! RR is a classless b****.

Great recruiting class by Tressel for the Bucks, more extremely talented linebackers! Oh and SIU pulled in a decent class considering the new coach! Great stuff!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Come on man, its ok, hes a nice guy just has some baggage with him. And hes not even close to the shadiest coach in the Big Ten right now anyway. Here is some quotes from Joe Tiller who is very well respected around the league.

and another

Wow, but it seems to be commonplace throughout football. I think like 75 kids flipped yesterday besides Roundtree. Hell, teams advertise which kids who are committed elsewhere, but may still be coming to their school come signing day. If they are such a firm yes they would not still be taking recruiting visits.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)

and another

tiller should stfu because he's done the same thing in the past to other schools.

Scott Wood from Marion, Ind. joins his backcourt mate Julius Mays with a committment to N.C. State. I haven't seen much of this kid he's solid from what I've seen but I'm not overly impressed with him or Mays. He's a shooter, but I'm baseing a lot of this on the semi-state game last year where Mays got totally locked up by E.C. Central and E'twaun Moore. Wood shot it well, but did not stand out that much either.

Anyway Sidney Lowe must see something he really likes from Marion.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Why is that?

He did the exact same thing Rich Rodriguez did Tuesday to him, to Illinois, in back to back years (2003 and 2004). And I'd be willing to bet the fans of other Big 10 schools outside of the Ohio State and Michigan have similar stories about Tiller's "ethics".

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
He did the exact same thing Rich Rodriguez did Tuesday to him, to Illinois, in back to back years (2003 and 2004). And I'd be willing to bet the fans of other Big 10 schools outside of the Ohio State and Michigan have similar stories about Tiller's "ethics".

I forgot...who were those players?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
I forgot...who were those players?

2004 was Zach Logan, and Tiller took him from under Turner's nose in almost the exact same fashion that Rich Rod took the recruit on Tuesday from Purdue. Actually, the best part of this is Logan went to Trotwood Mason HS, the EXACT SAME HS that the kid Rodriguez swooped away from Tiller (Roy Roundtree) went to. The irony is outstanding. The other kid he stole was Fabian Martin of the Chicago public league, but actually I think he was the same class as Logan on second thought. There was a third example as well, 2005 prospect Keyon Brown of Harvey was an Illini until the last second when Purdue grabbed him (although that was Zook's first class, but still). So yeah, Joe Tiller, a classic who ya crappin candidate.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)

Tiller has never had a top 150 prospect, he has long been a respected member of the big ten coaching circle, even being part of many of the decisions regarding the conference. I havent ever seen another coach speak out about him in that way, nor have I found even a hint of a scandal in an article. I would like to see some evidence of him stealing a top recruit through under the table practices or "snake oil" salesmanship.

T he names your brought up were not stolen on signing day, nor did they change their minds and fax in a LOI to Purdue out of the blue without speaking with the coaches they verbaled with. At 11pm prior to signing day, Roundtree reiterated that he was solid with Purdue, then faxed in his LOI the next morning to Michigan.

And Fabian Martin, and I don't know the whole story but if he verbaled to Ill then it was for WHOLE Week. He was deciding between PU and ILL the first and second week of Dec 2003 and verbaled to PU Dec 23rd, 2003. As far as Zach Logan, yes he was a ILL verbal for about four months and verbaled to PU in November of 03. A whole 3 months before signing day. Got anything that actually pertains to this situation?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Tiller has never had a top 150 prospect, he has long been a respected member of the big ten coaching circle, even being part of many of the decisions regarding the conference. I havent ever seen another coach speak out about him in that way, nor have I found even a hint of a scandal in an article. I would like to see some evidence of him stealing a top recruit through under the table practices or "snake oil" salesmanship.

T he names your brought up were not stolen on signing day, nor did they change their minds and fax in a LOI to Purdue out of the blue without speaking with the coaches they verbaled with. At 11pm prior to signing day, Roundtree reiterated that he was solid with Purdue, then faxed in his LOI the next morning to Michigan.

And Fabian Martin, and I don't know the whole story but if he verbaled to Ill then it was for WHOLE Week. He was deciding between PU and ILL the first and second week of Dec 2003 and verbaled to PU Dec 23rd, 2003. As far as Zach Logan, yes he was a ILL verbal for about four months and verbaled to PU in November of 03. A whole 3 months before signing day. Got anything that actually pertains to this situation?

The Fabian Martin one I know for sure was pretty much the same thing, because I remember it happening specifically (although you might be right he didn't change on actual singing day, maybe a day before). Your probably right about the two incidents in 2004 though, I just took that off some message board because I didn't feel like looking it up. I know Tiller has done this other times before, I just can't find the examples. Joe Tiller is the only football coach in the Big 10 I'd consider more dirty than normal though, which is funny since his recruiting and general program are mediocre.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Roundtree wanted to play with his teammates. Michigan also landed TE Brandon Moore and ATH Michael Shaw from Trotwood Madison HS.

He chose to come to visit Michigan without an offer. Michigan did not even offer him until the night before and it was unsure whether they would do so or not. So his decision was made at the eleventh hour because everything happened about that fast. It's obvious that he wasn't totally sold on Purdue and that other factors, such as playing with his teammates were important to him.

The QB from Trotwood was a former Cincinnati commit, but decommitted awhile back. He also visited Michigan, hoping for an offer. As of yet, UM has not offered him.

There was nothing sneaky about his recruitment, it was just late and quick.

Bruce Weber was on hand to watch Jereme Richmond disappear in the 4th quarter as Waukegan lost to Evanston 45-32. Richmond right now would fit in with Illinois. Can't hit a jumper and is 50% from the free throw line. Also loves yelling at his teammates and coach.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 04:17 AM)
Bruce Weber was on hand to watch Jereme Richmond disappear in the 4th quarter as Waukegan lost to Evanston 45-32. Richmond right now would fit in with Illinois. Can't hit a jumper and is 50% from the free throw line. Also loves yelling at his teammates and coach.

I've heard a lot of concerning comments made regarding his attitude this season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Very ironic statement, since most late and quick recruitment just happen to be sneaky.

He came to campus with his teammates with no offer nor a promise of one. Michigan didn't even offer him until a week after his campus visit. Sound pretty simple to me. UM said they were interested depending on what happened with other recruits they have already been pursuing. The kid was interested in Michigan enough to wait until the 11th hour to even get an offer, yet signed.

You tell me how that is sneaky.

Or are you just looking through your OSU x-ray goggles on this one??

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I've heard a lot of concerning comments made regarding his attitude this season.

It got pretty bad after the game last night. That is all I am saying.

Richmond's Waukegan team will be playing at Welsh Ryan next Saturday against Iman Shumpert and Oak Park-River Forest. It is game 1 of a double header. 2nd game is New Trier vs. East Chicago Central from Indiana. It's a pretty cool event every year there.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
He came to campus with his teammates with no offer nor a promise of one. Michigan didn't even offer him until a week after his campus visit. Sound pretty simple to me. UM said they were interested depending on what happened with other recruits they have already been pursuing. The kid was interested in Michigan enough to wait until the 11th hour to even get an offer, yet signed.

You tell me how that is sneaky.

Or are you just looking through your OSU x-ray goggles on this one??

Honestly, I dont care, i didnt have to look through anyones eyes but Tiller and his coaches comments. Maybe you should not look through your Michigan goggles. Where theres smoke theres fire FWIW.

And I saw on a Wisco board today that a UW scouting insider said Pryor had crossed Oregon and Michigan off his list, not sure how believable he is, but they seem to think its real.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Honestly, I dont care, i didnt have to look through anyones eyes but Tiller and his coaches comments. Maybe you should not look through your Michigan goggles. Where theres smoke theres fire FWIW.

And I saw on a Wisco board today that a UW scouting insider said Pryor had crossed Oregon and Michigan off his list, not sure how believable he is, but they seem to think its real.

Yeah I am going to buy some idiot Wisconsin blogger for breaking news on Pryor. There's no smoke. There's no fire. Tiller just whined because a kid he recruited wanted to go elsewhere. That gets extraploated to Rodriguez pissing off the entire Big Ten.

Stupid stuff

Bruce Weber can't even get it right when he gets a top 10 national recruit apparently. Rumblings have been out of the north suburbs all year (including even from Warren homer Brian of these very boards) that Jereme Richmond is a cancer. While I have refused to believe it, tonight made me a believer. Richmond is out for mysterious *cough BULL s*** /cough* reasons tonight after a blowup in the locker room after losing to Evanston earlier this week, and low and behold, Waukegan plays it's best game all year and beats an outstanding North Chicago squad. Just freaking wonderful, ugh.