Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Apparently he wants ISU, but his mom wanted A&M. He signed with ISU and his father signed, but that's not his legal guardian, his mom is. Both A.D. apparently think SJ is theirs.

This is f***ing retarded.

Sounds about time for Brewster to swoop in and grab him.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I have seen kids change their mind after signing the LOI, but they had to sit out a year. I have never seen the NCAA grant a kid a release from his LOI just because he regretted his decision. That would be a horrible trend to start.

I'm wanting the NCAA to offer an early signing period for football, and they seem to be wanting to make the late signing period have less teeth. Wonderful.

It's starting to happen a bit more regularly. Off the top of my head, when Sampson left Oklahoma all of those guys got immediate releases (I know Scottie Reynolds and Damien James, think there was at least one more), and I believe that Alex Legion had signed at Michigan before going to Kentucky.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
How in the world do you get out of a LOI if you just changed your mind? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of signing an LOI?
If he was recruited illegally he may be granted freedom from his LOI. Why would the kid get punished for the coach/school wooing him by illegal methods.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
It's starting to happen a bit more regularly. Off the top of my head, when Sampson left Oklahoma all of those guys got immediate releases (I know Scottie Reynolds and Damien James, think there was at least one more), and I believe that Alex Legion had signed at Michigan before going to Kentucky.

Those were cases where a coach left the school. I believe Palehose is referring to the ISU football recruit where that is not at issue.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
If he was recruited illegally he may be granted freedom from his LOI. Why would the kid get punished for the coach/school wooing him by illegal methods.

The only school that would have recruited him illegally would have been aTm. He had signed with us and now his mom wants to get it voided.

Another reason to hate the f***in Ags.

You can't get out of the LOI without sitting out a year unless the school releases you. Oklahoma released those kids as they didn't feel it was right to force them to still come play or sit out a year (good decision) when the coach bailed on them. If Ebanks tries he'll have to get IU's permission, which they may or may not give.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
You can't get out of the LOI without sitting out a year unless the school releases you. Oklahoma released those kids as they didn't feel it was right to force them to still come play or sit out a year (good decision) when the coach bailed on them. If Ebanks tries he'll have to get IU's permission, which they may or may not give.

The NCAA can and likely would give Ebanks an exception if Sampson is fired and IU is on probation.

February 15, 2008

Sedrick Johnson still a Cyclone

The Sedrick Johnson saga seems to be settled, for now. Johnson, the 6-foot-4 receiver from Arp who switched his commitment from A&M to Iowa State on the morning of National Signing Day, apparently had another change of heart after signing his name.

Johnson wanted to commit to A&M again, thinking he could get out of his letter of intent to Iowa State because it did not have his mother's signature. But as of 11:15 a.m. Friday, his commitment returned to the Cyclones after he found out as an 18-year-old his signature was enough to make the letter of intent binding

http://blogs.chron.com/aggies/...l_a_cyclon.html

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
February 15, 2008

Sedrick Johnson still a Cyclone

The Sedrick Johnson saga seems to be settled, for now. Johnson, the 6-foot-4 receiver from Arp who switched his commitment from A&M to Iowa State on the morning of National Signing Day, apparently had another change of heart after signing his name.

Johnson wanted to commit to A&M again, thinking he could get out of his letter of intent to Iowa State because it did not have his mother's signature. But as of 11:15 a.m. Friday, his commitment returned to the Cyclones after he found out as an 18-year-old his signature was enough to make the letter of intent binding

http://blogs.chron.com/aggies/...l_a_cyclon.html

No one knows if he actually wanted to go to aTm or his mom just wanted him to switch. He said in an interview before that it was tough, but ISU was really where he wanted to go.

This whole situation is retarded.

Got the chance to see Richmond/Shumpert/etc. tonight. Shumpert didn't force anything tonight, and ended up with a quiet game. I've seen him play quite a few times this year, and I'll think he'll be a very good combo guard for GT. Now, I had never seen Richmond play before, so I was quite shocked. He was nowhere near as good as I thought he'd be. He had about 15 pts, and most were on easy layups or bail-out free throws. He only made one jump shot I can remember. Now, the real story starts with his attitude. I've never seen a worse display of character shown by one kid ever in my sports viewing life. He seems to hate his teammates, and they seem to hate him. The entire group I was around was rooting big time against him just do to being such an asshole on the court. He almost got into numerous fights, and his sarcastic cheering on a hard foul against Shumpert was pathetic. Even the refs were laughing at how much of an ass he was acting like. I heard some Waukegan parents state that they can't wait for him to leave the program, which will likely happen after this year. Richmond's dad also walked around like he owned the place. I'll be honest, Rossi on New Trier PLAYED better than Richmond did (both sophs).

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:28 AM)
Got the chance to see Richmond/Shumpert/etc. tonight. Shumpert didn't force anything tonight, and ended up with a quiet game. I've seen him play quite a few times this year, and I'll think he'll be a very good combo guard for GT. Now, I had never seen Richmond play before, so I was quite shocked. He was nowhere near as good as I thought he'd be. He had about 15 pts, and most were on easy layups or bail-out free throws. He only made one jump shot I can remember. Now, the real story starts with his attitude. I've never seen a worse display of character shown by one kid ever in my sports viewing life. He seems to hate his teammates, and they seem to hate him. The entire group I was around was rooting big time against him just do to being such an asshole on the court. He almost got into numerous fights, and his sarcastic cheering on a hard foul against Shumpert was pathetic. Even the refs were laughing at how much of an ass he was acting like. I heard some Waukegan parents state that they can't wait for him to leave the program, which will likely happen after this year. Richmond's dad also walked around like he owned the place. I'll be honest, Rossi on New Trier PLAYED better than Richmond did (both sophs).

Well, I find it funny you have so much negative to say about a sophomore who posted a line of 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists, yet have nothing bad to say about the 5 star senior on the other of the court who posted 7 points and six rebounds. Maybe it's just me, but me thinks you're biased hate against Illinois is showing through here.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:58 AM)
Well, I find it funny you have so much negative to say about a sophomore who posted a line of 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists, yet have nothing bad to say about the 5 star senior on the other of the court who posted 7 points and six rebounds. Maybe it's just me, but me thinks you're biased hate against Illinois is showing through here.

First of all, if Richmond had more than 1 assist, I would be surprised. He didn't even pass the ball 8 times all night, so having 8 assists is a joke. OPRF was very well coached, and Shumpert actually was a better rebounder than Richmond was. By my calculations, Shumpert was 2-7 from the field, and 3-4 from the FT line. Richmond was 4-18 from the field and 8-12 from the FT line. It was a terrible game. East Chicago was very entertaining to watch, as their frontcourt has more size than most college teams. And trust me, it has nothing to do with my bias. You should have seen the neutral fans at the game shift to OPRF as the game went on due to Richmond's antics.

Edited by fathom

Of course fathon is negative on Richmond, he's negative about everything and everybody, except the Cubs, who he thinks are going to win the World Series every year. Fathom seems to think that everyday, there is a person running the world that wants to f*** him over. :lol: :lol:

Anyways, NIU's head coach was in Los Angeles visiting c/o 2008 center Krystopher Faber earlier this week. He is widely regarded as down to Minnesota and NIU, and has visited both campuses.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 12:58 AM)
Well, I find it funny you have so much negative to say about a sophomore who posted a line of 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists.

It's not like fathom is alone in his assessment. At least 2 other posters who have seen Richmond play have said the exact same thing. Richmond talked about being one and done in college as a foregone conclusion in the Sun-Times last week, which didn't exactly make me think he doesn't have delusions of grandeur.

Richmond definitely has an attitude problem (I'm one of the posters you mention that saw him play), but fathom's opinion of Richmond's talent is skewed by seeing him on a bad night. Richmond is an incredible talent and probably will play in the NBA, but he definitely has the attitude problem you see in most great athletes down already.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 01:42 AM)
It's not like fathom is alone in his assessment. At least 2 other posters who have seen Richmond play have said the exact same thing. Richmond talked about being one and done in college as a foregone conclusion in the Sun-Times last week, which didn't exactly make me think he doesn't have delusions of grandeur.

You just gotta see what Richmond does in the summer circuits b/c that is where kids make their names and get their ratings. Apparently, when Richmond is surrounded by talent and playing against the best talent, he shines. So that is what I am happy to see.

i think it's been well-covered that richmond's has some issues this year transitioning into the waukegan program. waukegan has a first-year coach who's trying to implement his system and turn a historically bad program around. his system has richmond playing a pretty set post position, which is probably not best-suited for his particular skill set. i don't blame waukegan's coach for playing him there, because as a guy trying to re-establish a program you have to look after the big picture and not cater to the needs of a particular player, no matter how good that player is.

at the same time, it doesn't surprise me that richmond or his father aren't wild about him playing the post. i can't blame them either, nor am i going to raise a red flag over a high-school sophomore who is immature. he'll grow as time progresses. i also don't doubt his talent remotely.

as an aside, richmond was ranked no. 2 in van coleman's most recent 2010 ratings. in the 2009 ratings, griffey, paul, richardson, and bertrand are all top-100. the first three kids are top 75.