Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Richmond definitely has an attitude problem (I'm one of the posters you mention that saw him play), but fathom's opinion of Richmond's talent is skewed by seeing him on a bad night. Richmond is an incredible talent and probably will play in the NBA, but he definitely has the attitude problem you see in most great athletes down already.

Please describe these incredible talents he has? I saw a 6'6" player who just sits on the wing yelling for the ball. I didn't see a single post move from him the entire night, and he doesn't compete on the boards (please don't relay the stats from the paper, as those are a total joke). The best player for Waukegan yesterday was #30. I can't wait to watch Angel Garcia play at Memphis. He's a rather awkward looking player who tries to play like Dirk. However, he hit an awesome halfcourt buzzer beater to end the first quarter.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
Got the chance to see Richmond/Shumpert/etc. tonight. Shumpert didn't force anything tonight, and ended up with a quiet game. I've seen him play quite a few times this year, and I'll think he'll be a very good combo guard for GT. Now, I had never seen Richmond play before, so I was quite shocked. He was nowhere near as good as I thought he'd be. He had about 15 pts, and most were on easy layups or bail-out free throws. He only made one jump shot I can remember. Now, the real story starts with his attitude. I've never seen a worse display of character shown by one kid ever in my sports viewing life. He seems to hate his teammates, and they seem to hate him. The entire group I was around was rooting big time against him just do to being such an asshole on the court. He almost got into numerous fights, and his sarcastic cheering on a hard foul against Shumpert was pathetic. Even the refs were laughing at how much of an ass he was acting like. I heard some Waukegan parents state that they can't wait for him to leave the program, which will likely happen after this year. Richmond's dad also walked around like he owned the place. I'll be honest, Rossi on New Trier PLAYED better than Richmond did (both sophs).

Yeah, not a lot of kids on the team like Richmond at all. He was also very lazy getting back on defense. I was shocked when he actually hit that one jumper. Not a very good shooter yet. He will probably transfer to Evanston next year.

His dad was given a media pass and you were right, he walked around like a king.

Horrible crowd last night which was sad. I have been there the last 4 years and it is always sold out. I know the guy who runs it and they wanted 6 teams before these match ups.

Colin Nickerson is #30 for Waukegan. Just a junior and is automatic from mid range.

I'd like to know who reported Richmond had 8 assists. No way he had that many.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 03:34 AM)
Was the EC-NT game competitive? That one sounded like the best matchup.

It was tied at 44 going into the 4th, but than it was all EC has they hit a couple of 3's to start the 4th. Deshawn Scott for EC is a horse down low and they have a couple of good guards. Garcia is a good player but didn't have the best game. Plays outside a lot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
Please describe these incredible talents he has? I saw a 6'6" player who just sits on the wing yelling for the ball. I didn't see a single post move from him the entire night, and he doesn't compete on the boards (please don't relay the stats from the paper, as those are a total joke). The best player for Waukegan yesterday was #30. I can't wait to watch Angel Garcia play at Memphis. He's a rather awkward looking player who tries to play like Dirk. However, he hit an awesome halfcourt buzzer beater to end the first quarter.

If you don't think Richmond is really good, I can't help you because he is. He obviously had a bad game last night though and a player like him is going to look really bad if he shoots poorly.

Hoopsmasters new rankings(I'll list the local kids or other kids of note): http://www.hoopmasters.com/classranking.php

13. Devin Ebanks

21. Iman Shumpert

24. Michael Dunigan

74. Matt Humphrey

112. Josh Crittle

127 Jeremiah Kelly

138. Lewis Jackson

144. Kevin Dillard

147. Verdell Jones

153. Stan Simpson

156. Dion Dixon

174. Rueben Cotto

LOL at Crittle being anywhere close to the top 100. Simpson, Cotto, and Dixon all seem way too low(I've only seen Simpson out of that group though).

53. Tyler Griffey

57. Brandon Paul

68. DJ Richardson

71. Jordan Prosser

80. Kyle Rowley

85. Diamond Taylor

94. Joseph Bertrand

97. Jack Cooley

108. Marcus Jordan

117. Chris Colvin

I doubt that there are 56 better players nationally than Brandon Paul. Jordan 10 spots above Colvin is a little questionable, but he has been the better player for WY as of late.

2. Jereme Richmond

No surpise there.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
Shumpert is not the 21st best player, and Dillard should be much higher. I don't think there's more than 5 point guards in the nation I'd rather have than him.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think Shumpert is a 5 star player, though all the national sites have him as such. Agreed on Dillard too.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Shumpert is not the 21st best player, and Dillard should be much higher. I don't think there's more than 5 point guards in the nation I'd rather have than him.

Shumpert is good, he is very good. Don't just judge him on Sat night. It was the second game in 2 days. He is strong. I have seen him have great games and take over against quality teams.

The season Dillard is having, yes, he should be higher

Right now, Crandall Head is a better sophomore than Richmond. I like what Lenzelle Smith can become but he has slowed down a bit.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
If you don't think Richmond is really good, I can't help you because he is. He obviously had a bad game last night though and a player like him is going to look really bad if he shoots poorly.

Why do you think he's good? That's not meant to be taken as snark -- I'd like to know why he's so highly regarded. I've read junk on the internet saying that he doesn't have much offensive skill at all. On various scout.com boards I've read: no range, no post moves, below average handle, mostly scores on height and athleticism close to basket. I haven't seen him play, I don't know if that's anywhere close to the truth or not. I'm just wondering if his ranking is based on some athleticism and being tall at a young age.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Why do you think he's good? That's not meant to be taken as snark -- I'd like to know why he's so highly regarded. I've read junk on the internet saying that he doesn't have much offensive skill at all. On various scout.com boards I've read: no range, no post moves, below average handle, mostly scores on height and athleticism close to basket. I haven't seen him play, I don't know if that's anywhere close to the truth or not. I'm just wondering if his ranking is based on some athleticism and being tall at a young age.

This is actually very accurate. But again, he is just a sophomore. He can improve. Hopefully he matures and starts working hard to get better.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)

Except he actually handles the ball well and shot the ball well over the summer. His coach sticks him in the post and doesn't let him play a whole lot on the perimeter. Watching him play in HS is a terrible way of evaluating his skill when he basically is forced to play center. I actually remember people saying the same stuff about LeBron in HS (and no I am not saying Richmond is at that level).

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 03:47 AM)
Except he actually handles the ball well and shot the ball well over the summer. His coach sticks him in the post and doesn't let him play a whole lot on the perimeter. Watching him play in HS is a terrible way of evaluating his skill when he basically is forced to play center. I actually remember people saying the same stuff about LeBron in HS (and no I am not saying Richmond is at that level).

His coach most definitely didn't stick him in the middle. He was camped out on the wing behind the 3 point line the entire night.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
His coach most definitely didn't stick him in the middle. He was camped out on the wing behind the 3 point line the entire night.

Well than that is a change from what he has been doing all season long. Every time I had seen him play he was stuck down low and that was a major cause of the Richmonds displeasure with Waukegan.

in regards to richmond, i have not seen him play so i can't really draw any conclusions.

but, i do know that virtually every scouting service that rates high school basketball players (rivals, scout, hoopmasters, etc.) has placed him among the top-five kids in the 2010 class. maybe they are all wrong, i don't know.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 01:05 AM)
First of all, if Richmond had more than 1 assist, I would be surprised. He didn't even pass the ball 8 times all night, so having 8 assists is a joke. OPRF was very well coached, and Shumpert actually was a better rebounder than Richmond was. By my calculations, Shumpert was 2-7 from the field, and 3-4 from the FT line. Richmond was 4-18 from the field and 8-12 from the FT line. It was a terrible game. East Chicago was very entertaining to watch, as their frontcourt has more size than most college teams. And trust me, it has nothing to do with my bias. You should have seen the neutral fans at the game shift to OPRF as the game went on due to Richmond's antics.
I was at the games as well and see most of East Chicago's games every year. This years team just doesn't play with the intensity of last year, especially on DEE!. Connor has been strong at point, and he played terrible Sat. A lack luster performannce by EC (we did play a up tempo game the night before winning 99-86), but they did enough to win.They will have to amp it up with sectionals beginning, even without E'twaun (who went off in front of many EC fans for 28 against N'western that afternoon) this team should be playing at a higher level at this point. Kay Kay Short who is going to Purdue for football, was the banger against New Treir, but he is only 6'4 so other then Angel our size is nowhere near a college team.

I was not impressed with OPRF or Waukegan but it was only one game. Both teams looked offensively challenged for the most part.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
It was tied at 44 going into the 4th, but than it was all EC has they hit a couple of 3's to start the 4th. Deshawn Scott for EC is a horse down low and they have a couple of good guards. Garcia is a good player but didn't have the best game. Plays outside a lot.
That's Kawann Short (KAY KAY). he is a 3 star football dee lineman going to Purdue. He was big time in the state title game last year along with E'twaun and Angel. Angel hates the post he plays a typical European big man game. He does have good range and handles the ball great for 6'11 but he falls in love with it too much for the high school level. Angel clearly plays up and down to his competion as well, New Treir was well coached and disiplined but wasn't all that athletic so Angel tends to cruise in those matchups unfortunatly. Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
That's Kawann Short (KAY KAY). he is a 3 star football dee lineman going to Purdue. He was big time in the state title game last year along with E'twaun and Angel. Angel hates the post he plays a typical European big man game. He does have good range and handles the ball great for 6'11 but he falls in love with it too much for the high school level. Angel clearly plays up and down to his competion as well, New Treir was well coached and disiplined but wasn't all that athletic so Angel tends to cruise in those matchups unfortunatly.

New Trier also had a tough game the night before against Evanston that was undoubtedly mentally and physically draining. If NT didn't plat its biggest rival the night before, I think they would have beaten EC.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
New Trier also had a tough game the night before against Evanston that was undoubtedly mentally and physically draining. If NT didn't plat its biggest rival the night before, I think they would have beaten EC.
You never know, maybe they would have had a better shot. They were a solid team but far from one of the better teams E.C. has faced. They were capable of pulling out a win, but I like our chances of winning bigger on most nights.

In regards to Richmond...I was just reading an article in ESPN the Mag and they were talking about Nat'l Signing Day for football and comparing it to basketball. They made a good point. With basketball, you can watch high school games, but more importantly, you can watch AAU games, which is the best against the best. So, being a sophomore and having a couple more years in AAU and probably at a different high school, I think he'll do some maturing.

Some leaks for the McDonalds all american team announcements have surfaced, and it looks like all 3 Carolina recruits made it. Davis & Zeller are no surprise, but Drew is a bit of a shock to me to have madeit. I haven't heard anything about Angel Garcia yet I'll probably run over to the high school and see if he got any word yet.

Willie Warren (Oklanhoma) & Jamychal Greene (LSU) have also been reported to have been selected at this point.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Some leaks for the McDonalds all american team announcements have surfaced, and it looks like all 3 Carolina recruits made it. Davis & Zeller are no surprise, but Drew is a bit of a shock to me to have madeit. I haven't heard anything about Angel Garcia yet I'll probably run over to the high school and see if he got any word yet.

Willie Warren (Oklanhoma) & Jamychal Greene (LSU) have also been reported to have been selected at this point.

I don't think Garcia made it. Shumpert did make it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
I don't think Garcia made it. Shumpert did make it.
Sounds about right. At this point I doubt that Angel will qualify to even play at Memphis next year. He is very up and down depending on his competition and with the strength at power forward there are more deserving guys out there. His best hope was to be seen as a 6'11 small forward which is what he wants to be.

Congrats to Iman.