Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Why is Kansas having to resort to Juco's now? Seems odd.

I have two answers for this

a. We are losing a ton of players from this team. I think it could be like 7 or something.

b. Old s*** down his pants is having trouble finding high school talent.

Either way I dont trust Juco recruits.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
I haven't lived in Indiana since they made the change, but most of what I have heard is not positive. Most people I know would rather go back to the single class, all-in tournament that made Indiana unique for years.

ss2k, any others have thoughts??

I think it's fine how it is.

The one class thing was dominated by the 4 and 5A schools.

You weren't going to have a Milan/Hickory thing happen any time in the near future anyway.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)

You weren't going to have a Milan/Hickory thing happen any time in the near future anyway.

Don't need to.

It was enough for small schools to get to a regional or semi-state. When a school like Vincennes Rivet beats Lincoln after they have won 30-something consecutive sectionals, that IS their state championship.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)

I don't buy that many smaller teams made the final 4 or elite 8 or sweet sixteen. You are competitive if you get to that level. When Gary Velt won with Glen Robinson, they beat a 2A Indy Brebuf with Alan Henderson, and little ole Whitco in the semi final.

Merriville followed from the region as a state finalist by beating North judson in the elite.

My Roomates in college were from tiny 1A Northfield they lost in the regional final to mighty Marion their Jr. year and then lost in OT to South Bend Riley in the elite 8 their senior year. Their were competitive lower class teams each year somewhere. The state tournament lost it's luster just so more mediocre teams can feel say I'm a state champion.

Last year I joked with the Plymoth fans how it was great they supported their team so much showing up to see the JV game. (3A state title game) They sure did ok with Skiles beating Gary Velt for the crown when it was one class.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Tyrone Appleton #3 Juco in the land signs with KU. We now have the number 1 and 3 juco's for next year.

translation....were f***ed.

The Appleton kid is from Gary Roosevelt, he left after his jr. year to go to a prep school in Cinncy, I think to work on his grades and stay out of trouble. That didn't work out so great since he did not qualify to go to Virginai Tech and had to go the JUCO route anyway. I saw a lot of him up to his senior year playing in the region he is solid on the court, but never knocked my socks off, but that was 3 years ago. The local paper had a nice little article on him today signing with Kansas. He said all the right things and I wish him luck in Lawrence.

Mason Plumlee the 6'11 kid from the 2009 class commited to Duke. Solid get for the dookies, his stock shot up over the last summer. I know Carolina gave him a look before the Wear twins & Henson verballed. I think Illinios, ND, also had a visit from him, but when Duke offered not to long ago it didn't take him long to say yes.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
That means nothing.

When did a school smaller than 3A, win the whole thing?

Plymouth was equal to a 3A school, as was New Albany.

Milan's even 2A today.

The arguement was that they could not ever compete. If you lose by 2 in the final 4 or your one of the last 8 teams standing in the entire state then you ARE COMPETING! MY school until my senior year was East Chicago Roosevelt it would have been 2A before it consolidated to become EC Central and we could compete every year even though we had not won state since 1970 (at that time we would have been 3A). When you are in the championship game or the final four or even semi-state in one class that counts for much more then a NAIA type laughable 1A /2A crown. It's the hey lets give everyone a trophy for just competeing mentality of today. My kid won state too. C'mon the Indiana 1 class was televised on ESPN, (but Concord with Kemp can't compete with big ole Muncie, hell Concord only beat the smaller school Bishop Noll in the semi finals before losing to Muncie Central in the title game) countless books, big time hollywood movies, etc all were wrong. I guarentee you Noll making the final four and bowing out to the Kemp led Concord trumps any bulls*** 2A title they may have won that year with classes. now it is NOTHING special just one of fifty high school events, but 8 times as many kids claim to be state champs :huh: .

One class sectionals had more buzz then the state finals do now, and it's not even close. Winning a regional held WAY more weight then a small school state crown.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

That's fine. I see your point.

Although if I were a player, I'd much rather win a fair fight against an equal opponent than to continually lose to a bigger guy who has an unfair advantage.

"At least we got there," doen't hang on the gym wall as well as a state championship banner does. The smaller schools may play with the bigger guys on occasion, but they hardly ever won the "big one."

That's MY point.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
That's fine. I see your point.

Although if I were a player, I'd much rather win a fair fight against an equal opponent than to continually lose to a bigger guy who has an unfair advantage.

"At least we got there," doen't hang on the gym wall as well as a state championship banner does. The smaller schools may play with the bigger guys on occasion, but they hardly ever won the "big one."

That's MY point.

Obviously you haven't lived it. It is not a simple concept to grasp, but for those of us that have lived it, I think most would agree. It worked. Unfortunately, people's mentality has changed. We have to give every kid who plays a sport now a trophy just for participating. At what point does every kid have to be made to feel like an all-star?? What happened to competing? Small schools were just fine competing in that structure until someone told them it wasn't fair.

Sometimes people need to understand, if it AIN'T broke, DON'T fix it!

This is still very much in the rumor stage, much as the Gordan talking to IU was before he actually switched, but with Ebanks having the out clause in his LOI for a change in head coach the word is making the rounds that he has been in contact with Memphis and feeling them out as a fit. Nothing substantial but there is definatly smoke, we will have to wait and see if there is any fire with this one.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Kenny Hall commits to Tennesee after the Kentucky game. Nice commit for Pearl, I know Duke coverted him big time.

Coverted? Sorry, I just like funny misspellings.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Kenny Hall commits to Tennesee after the Kentucky game. Nice commit for Pearl, I know Duke coverted him big time.
It seems like that Tennesee/Memphis game had a big impact for the Vols in more ways then one. Daniel West a 3 star point guard for 2008 from Michigan gave his verbal to Tennesee after taking his visit as well. Very productive time on top of the big win with these two guys coming aboard for Pearl.

#1 in the state, HF, lost at Bloom tonight. And I want to say a big f*** you to the Proviso East athletic department. I tried going to the OPRF/WY game tonight, and at 7:30, there was a line of 500 people outside that wasn't moving. Not a single person out there was telling people what to do. I just turned around and drove home.

Watc out for Zion in 4A. I saw them kill Buffalo Grove tonight. They are really good, balanced, and deep. Lenzelle Smith is just a sophomore and had 30 tonight. Marquette, Wisconsin, Virginia, and SIU are all recruiting hard. If he went to SIU, I'd blow my wad.

WOW I can't believe Bloom won that game, or moreso that H-F lost it. I know it was on Bloom's home floor (which is completely unfair to do to #1 in the state), but still. Whitney Young also took out OPRF and Iman Shumpert, and get Mt. Carmel or De La Salle next. D.J. Richardson and Peoria lost by 16 to Washington, Marshal won easy, Simeon won big, and North Lawndale and Peoria Manuel advanced to state in 2A.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
#1 in the state, HF, lost at Bloom tonight. And I want to say a big f*** you to the Proviso East athletic department. I tried going to the OPRF/WY game tonight, and at 7:30, there was a line of 500 people outside that wasn't moving. Not a single person out there was telling people what to do. I just turned around and drove home.

That sucks.

I really wanna go see De La Salle tommorrow night, but I don't think I can make it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)

Dillard still scored 22 though, so all is well. ;)