Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I'm guessing early entries don't count?

I'm pretty sure you can back-count the guys who enroll early to the previous year's class if you have spots open from that, which is how schools get around it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
I'm pretty sure you can back-count the guys who enroll early to the previous year's class if you have spots open from that, which is how schools get around it.

And the whole top of the SEC had spots left last year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
And the whole top of the SEC had spots left last year?

Apparently. That's why I was surprised.

Also, any of you Big 10 guys worried about the fact that the entire conference brought in 1 5-star prospect (Gholston to Michigan St)? I don't see how that can happen. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee all had at least 1 5-star guy in their classes alone. Really a down year for the Big 10 in recruiting.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)

Also, any of you Big 10 guys worried about the fact that the entire conference brought in 1 5-star prospect (Gholston to Michigan St)? I don't see how that can happen. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee all had at least 1 5-star guy in their classes alone. Really a down year for the Big 10 in recruiting.

OSU brought in 1 as well, Andrew Norwell. PSU brought in 3 and Michigan and MSU both had 1.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)

Perhaps I'm a conspiracy theorist here, but it seems to me a little unbelievable that the one conference which just signed a multi-billion dollar TV contract with a certain "worldwide leader" has gotten more and more pub over this than any other. Is it really because these programs are better (and if so, why?), or because they want to hype up a product? I get that a lot of talent is in the south, where players play basically year round, and it makes more sense for them to stay near home, but the disparity here is a bit alarming.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Perhaps I'm a conspiracy theorist here, but it seems to me a little unbelievable that the one conference which just signed a multi-billion dollar TV contract with a certain "worldwide leader" has gotten more and more pub over this than any other. Is it really because these programs are better (and if so, why?), or because they want to hype up a product? I get that a lot of talent is in the south, where players play basically year round, and it makes more sense for them to stay near home, but the disparity here is a bit alarming.

Eh, sometimes they mean something, sometimes they dont. The coaching staff still has more to do with they results anyway.

1. USC

2.Fla

3.Tex

4. Georgia

5. ND

1. Fla

2. USC

3. Texas

4. Tenn

5. LSU

1. Bama

2. ND

3. Miami

4. OSU

5. Georgia

1. OSU

2. Bama

3. LSU

4. Georgia

5. UCLA

If you look at top tens you'll see teams like Michigan, Pitt, South Carolina, etc. Sometimes the talent eval is dead on, other times its spotty. The one consistent you'll see is teams with good coaches take the talent they are given and succeed. The most consistent predictor of success is the coach.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
OSU brought in 1 as well, Andrew Norwell. PSU brought in 3 and Michigan and MSU both had 1.

Not according to Rivals, which is by far the best recruiting site for football.

Are those Scouts rankings?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
If you look at top tens you'll see teams like Michigan, Pitt, South Carolina, etc. Sometimes the talent eval is dead on, other times its spotty. The one consistent you'll see is teams with good coaches take the talent they are given and succeed. The most consistent predictor of success is the coach.

This article is an ESPN Insider article, but basically says recruiting classes are a better judge of a success than returning starters. There's a strong, but not perfect correlation between recruiting rankings and on the field success. There's almost no correlation between returning starters and wins.

Mizzou got some damn nice oline recruits, for years our olineman didn't have the size to take on the big boys of the south and our scheme was just kind of let them run past and push them out of the way. Maybe soon we can take it to 'em. The day we beat oklahoma or texas will be one of the happiest of my life. in sports.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Mizzou got some damn nice oline recruits, for years our olineman didn't have the size to take on the big boys of the south and our scheme was just kind of let them run past and push them out of the way. Maybe soon we can take it to 'em. The day we beat oklahoma or texas will be one of the happiest of my life. in sports.

James Franklin is gonna be a beast for Mizzou after Blaine leaves. I am still curious why Tyler Gabbert was so highly rated. Has bad numbers and really doesn't impress with his measureables. But I suppose at worst, he is a decent back-up. If Mizzou locks down Missouri like it is starting to do, it will be a top-25 team every year. Now start to steal some recruits out of Texas (not steal from Texas, the top ones UT doesn't accept) and Mizzou could be even better. One thing that the Mizzou staff does as well as anyone if identify small-school sleeper prospects.

Agreed, that's almost why i wouldn't give a s*** about the rankings but then saw we did really well. Pinkels been damn good at finding players that will play well for his scheme. BUt it's only got us so far, hopefully this top star talent can actually get us to beat the living s*** out of the disgusting southern states.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
James Franklin is gonna be a beast for Mizzou after Blaine leaves. I am still curious why Tyler Gabbert was so highly rated. Has bad numbers and really doesn't impress with his measureables. But I suppose at worst, he is a decent back-up.

Tyler's numbers suck because that school sucks at football. I remember Blaine having relatively mediocre numbers for a 5 star QB recruit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
First one for Illinois since Dee Brown. Great week for the program.

Illinois is going to be an absolutely fascinating team to watch next season. It's too bad Crandall Head has the ACL, or he might have made the McD's AA too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
Get that tail light fixed!

Blackshear will be an AA next year...

Anybody going to the games at UIC next weekend?

Crandall's just following in Luther's footsteps of being one of the worst drivers on the planet. Hopefully he avoids the other issues Luther had....

But I think the most exciting thing about Illinois's 2010 class this year is that a case could be made Richmond doesn't even have the highest ceiling of the 3 commits even with how good of a player he is. Crandall is a true freak athlete and has good size for a guard and if he has the work ethic Lu did he will be special. However, Leonard is the guy who could really be an amazing college player and probably has the best pro potential. 7 footers with his athleticism are incredibly rare and he is also a very good passer and shooter. If he develops his low post game he will be completely unstoppable at the college level.