Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
I'm happy for IU and all, but I think the fans need to be a LITTLE more realistic. This guy is not a John Wall or Derrick Rose type. And Indiana is still FAR away from the recruiting of Michigan State, Ohio State and Illinois.

Indiana's upcoming recruiting classes are shaping up to be the cream of the Big 10, and you can't underestimate the impact Zeller's commitment is going to have on players like Yogi. No offense jenks, but I find this ironic coming from an Illini fan who belongs to a fanbase that compares Jereme Richmond to Magic Johnson and M. Leonard to Dwight Howard.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Indiana's upcoming recruiting classes are shaping up to be the cream of the Big 10, and you can't underestimate the impact Zeller's commitment is going to have on players like Yogi. No offense jenks, but I find this ironic coming from an Illini fan who belongs to a fanbase that compares Jereme Richmond to Magic Johnson and M. Leonard to Dwight Howard.

My sentiments exactly. Not to mention that two top 10 2014 recruits have already committed to IU. Obviously, I take that with a grain of salt given how far off it it is, but it is an encouraging sign nonetheless.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)

Give me a break...Howard couldn't hold Leonard's jock.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
I'm happy for IU and all, but I think the fans need to be a LITTLE more realistic. This guy is not a John Wall or Derrick Rose type. And Indiana is still FAR away from the recruiting of Michigan State, Ohio State and Illinois.

I don't know one person who is calling this kid the "savior" of the program. He's a big get in terms of in state recruiting. The next two classes in Indiana are ridiculously loaded. If you have not noticed, everyone knows who Zeller is because currently, it is the top story on freakin' yahoo.com. People are taking notice that Indiana is a sleeping giant that has just awoken. It has been a long ten years for a HUGE fanbase. Cody Zeller made it "cool" to be a Hoosier again, and I would look for 5 star Yogi Ferrell to commit within the coming days.

I'm not knocking the Illini at all, as they have cleaned up Illinois recruiting as of late. I am saying that Indiana is not longer going to be a bottom feeder in the Big Ten. There are going to be some serious fights in the BigTen in the coming years.

He's right though, its going to take more than one kid to turn that program into one that can compete with the top tier in the conference. I see comments below inferring that he will automatically bring in 5 star after 5 star which will build the program back up, it takes alot more than that in the Big Ten. And FYI, alot of those 5 stars are one and done players, I've been watching a revolving door for several seasons now.

As for being the cream of the Big Ten? For 2011 they are going to have to do alot more work to establish that. Illinois has the top class right now, OSU is most likely taking 5 players (1 3 star 3-4 stars 1-5 star) and MSU already has a better class than IU. Indiana is a loaded state over the next several years and im sure IU will lock up some of the best ones, but so will Purdue, OSU, MSU and even ILL. We are all happy for you and all, but dont put the cart before the horse quite yet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)
He's right though, its going to take more than one kid to turn that program into one that can compete with the top tier in the conference. I see comments below inferring that he will automatically bring in 5 star after 5 star which will build the program back up, it takes alot more than that in the Big Ten. And FYI, alot of those 5 stars are one and done players, I've been watching a revolving door for several seasons now.

As for being the cream of the Big Ten? For 2011 they are going to have to do alot more work to establish that. Illinois has the top class right now, OSU is most likely taking 5 players (1 3 star 3-4 stars 1-5 star) and MSU already has a better class than IU. Indiana is a loaded state over the next several years and im sure IU will lock up some of the best ones, but so will Purdue, OSU, MSU and even ILL. We are all happy for you and all, but dont put the cart before the horse quite yet.

Isn't Indiana bringing in three 5 star players in the next 2 years?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Isn't Indiana bringing in three 5 star players in the next 2 years?

They have one for 2011 and one for 2012. Nothing higher than a 3 star in 2010. Best player committed at this point is Zeller who is the #4 player at his position and the #20 overall guy. Perea could end up being a top 10 player which would be pretty big for IU, and he could step in right away if Zeller is one and done.

That still doesnt get you a top 5 class however. Most of the teams that pull in top 5 classes have multiple players in the 25 nationally. For a top 10 class most teams pull in a top 25 guy and multiple top 50 and top 100 guys.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 02:37 AM)
They have one for 2011 and one for 2012. Nothing higher than a 3 star in 2010.

My initial post was assuming they got Yogi, who I'm sure you know is a 5 star guard. I'm not an avid follower of IU basketball, but I've sent on Illini message boards about how Crean has landed some really strong 2013 or 2014 guys, correct?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
My initial post was assuming they got Yogi, who I'm sure you know is a 5 star guard. I'm not an avid follower of IU basketball, but I've sent on Illini message boards about how Crean has landed some really strong 2013 or 2014 guys, correct?

I dont look that far ahead in recruiting since it changes so much. Crean could be canned or fired by then for all we know. They have some MUCH better players coming in than they have had in a long time, but I still think it takes quite a bit more work to be called "cream of the crop."

Reporter just got off the phone with Yogi and he tweeted this is what he said...

"grosenstein Greg Rosenstein

Just spoke with Yogi Ferrell: "Cody and Hanner (Perea) are the two guys I want to play with."

Yogi Ferrell on if the process has sped up after today's announcement from Zeller: "It's definitely sped up. That's for sure"

Rock, I think you're also forgetting Crean brought in a top ten class in 2009. Zeller is not a one and done, 5 stars rarely are. There are maybe 5 each year. Hanner is a sure fire 5 star and may end up being top 5 in his class. He's the one we have to worry about going pro. For 2012, without the updated rankings we have 2 four stars and 1 five star. That is a pretty good start. By the time Cody gets to campus, he will more than likely be playing with 3 potential all big ten players in Creek, Watford, and Jones. He's not going to have to be the go to guy.

And yes 2014 is a ways off, but Trey Lyles is going to be a sure fire 5 star. He's currently ranked number one in his class, and I'm willing to wager a lot of money that he will be a top 3 player when its all said and done.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Reporter just got off the phone with Yogi and he tweeted this is what he said...

Just spoke with Yogi Ferrell: "Cody and Hanner (Perea) are the two guys I want to play with."

Yogi Ferrell on if the process has sped up after today's announcement from Zeller: "It's definitely sped up. That's for sure"

Rock, I think you're also forgetting Crean brought in a top ten class in 2009. Zeller is not a one and done, 5 stars rarely are. There are maybe 5 each year. Hanner is a sure fire 5 star and may end up being top 5 in his class. He's the one we have to worry about going pro. For 2012, without the updated rankings we have 2 four stars and 1 five star. That is a pretty good start. By the time Cody gets to campus, he will more than likely be playing with 3 potential all big ten players in Creek, Watford, and Jones. He's not going to have to be the go to guy.

And yes 2014 is a ways off, but Trey Lyles is going to be a sure fire 5 star. He's currently ranked number one in his class, and I'm willing to wager a lot of money that he will be a top 3 player when its all said and done.

Hey, nobody is on here saying that IU isnt getting good players. And I, for one, have been an IU fan ever since i got to step foot on the court at Assembly Hall back when I wanted to play for Bobby Knight. It's just VERY premature to start claiming them to be the cream of the crop in both recruiting and in play in the conference. There are schools that have turned in a high level of talent and play that are going to continue to do so. IU has quite a bit of work to catch those programs.

So because I belong to an irrational fanbase (whose isn't btw?) my opinion is less valid? IU got a good commit (not great, good). He's gotten a couple of them. That doesn't mean they're "back." They're done being a bottom feeder, I'll grant you that. MSU, OSU, ILL have gotten good classes for years now.

'

Any thoughts on DeAnthony Arnett (#6 WR) committing to Tennessee? Getting him out of Michigan (and Big 10 in general) is quite the pull. I've felt pretty good about him for awhile now, but it's good to make it official. Our receiving core is going to be nasty in a year or two.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)

Now, fathom, that's ridiculous. Maybe one idiot Illinois fan said that, but I highly doubt that's being said. Granted I don't read Illini message boards, but there's no way the "fanbase" (which implies a lot of people) are comparing those two players to Magic and Dwight... And if they are, Illinois fans have become dumb as s***.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
Now, fathom, that's ridiculous. Maybe one idiot Illinois fan said that, but I highly doubt that's being said. Granted I don't read Illini message boards, but there's no way the "fanbase" (which implies a lot of people) are comparing those two players to Magic and Dwight... And if they are, Illinois fans have become dumb as s***.

I frequent multiple Illini boards on an hourly basis almost and have never seen that comparison.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
I frequent multiple Illini boards on an hourly basis almost and have never seen that comparison.

Rivals insider site for Illinois has been comparing Leonard to Howard all week, with many suggesting he'll be the first pick in the draft in two years.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 04:13 AM)

Oh, and don't forget Brandon Paul to D. Wade. Actually, they're saying Leonard is more athletic than Dwight Howard is, and of course Dickey Simpkins being the idiot he is doesn't help their astronomical expectations of these players.

I swear I'm not making this up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Oh, and don't forget Brandon Paul to D. Wade. Actually, they're saying Leonard is more athletic than Dwight Howard is, and of course Dickey Simpkins being the idiot he is doesn't help their astronomical expectations of these players.

I swear I'm not making this up.

I know you're not making it up. It's been on their scout board too, which is widely considered by many different fans to be the biggest joke of a board out there. Leonard and Richardson are going to be great players. The two exhibition games I've seen from them as a team though, prove otherwise. The Illini have to make some noise this year, or Bruce is going to be gone.

My response is: who cares? Again, so there's some portion of the fanbase that are a bit out of touch. So what? You don't think Hooisers fans are delusional? (as to the Brandon Paul/D-Wade comparison, I believe that was actually Weber, who said they had the same body build and speed, and that Paul could have the same game as Wade if he worked at it, which is true. I don't think anyone said he was GOING to be though)

That's basically what I'm trying to say here. Zeller is a nice get for Crean. He's got a some really good recruits coming in in the next couple of years. But this INSTANT Hoosier "omg we're back!" is just laughable. You're ignoring the fact that 3-4 other teams in the Big Ten have done an equally good job bringing in talent but they've been doing it for YEARS now. And there's no reason to think they're just going to stop. Illinois recruiting is basically dead in 2012, but they're also high on the list of the tops recruits in 2013 and 2014.

Congrats. You got 3-4 really good players on your squad. Go look at the top of the big ten and see how they've all got 8-10 good players on their bench right now.

No one doubted that you have talent. Not one person has said that. I will say its time for the Illini to start doing something with that talent. No indiana fan is proclaiming that were going to be the best team in the big ten because of one player. We are excited about what's happening and if you want to degrade us about it, that's your choice.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
No one doubted that you have talent. Not one person has said that. I will say its time for the Illini to start doing something with that talent. No indiana fan is proclaiming that were going to be the best team in the big ten because of one player. We are excited about what's happening and if you want to degrade us about it, that's your choice.

How is anything that has been said degrading at all? Nobody is saying its not something IU fans should be excited about, they are just pointing out that there is still alot of catching up to do if you want to be one of the top tier teams in the conference and be called "cream of the crop" in terms of talent.