Official Recruiting Thread II

The Illinois State Championships going on Friday and Saturday down in Champaign. Wheaton Warrenville South, who is ranked in the top 20 in the nation by rivals, can be seen Saturday afternoon. Their QB, future Illini Reilly O'Toole, has 3,000 passing yards, a 75 completion percentage, and 40 TD's against only 2 picks. Seeing him against a defense as awesome as Lake Zurich's will be interesting.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
He isn't far. I'm not sure if you have a Peegs membership and got to read his interview Sunday, but I would be surprised if he's not a Hoosier this month.

I don't anymore. Would you mind sending the text to me in a PM? Is it small enough to do so?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
The Illinois State Championships going on Friday and Saturday down in Champaign. Wheaton Warrenville South, who is ranked in the top 20 in the nation by rivals, can be seen Saturday afternoon. Their QB, future Illini Reilly O'Toole, has 3,000 passing yards, a 75 completion percentage, and 40 TD's against only 2 picks. Seeing him against a defense as awesome as Lake Zurich's will be interesting.

I don't know the entire history of Illinois HS football, but I would have to imagine this WWS team is about as good as any team in the state's history. They won by 30+ in the state semifinals!!

Word has it Dee Hart is going to decommit from Michigan and switch to Alabama after tomorrow night's game. Michigan coaches will be at Dr. Phillips HS tomorrow, let's hope they can change his mind.

The problem is he is an early enrollee and the Michigan AD has not committed either way to Rodriguez' status. Even if he stays, without an endorsement now, the early enrollees are understandably worried that a coaching change could happen right as they are entering school or worse, after.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Word has it Dee Hart is going to decommit from Michigan and switch to Alabama after tomorrow night's game. Michigan coaches will be at Dr. Phillips HS tomorrow, let's hope they can change his mind.

The problem is he is an early enrollee and the Michigan AD has not committed either way to Rodriguez' status. Even if he stays, without an endorsement now, the early enrollees are understandably worried that a coaching change could happen right as they are entering school or worse, after.

That would be a major blow. The kid is unreal. Went to the game last week and he had 6 TDs.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
That would be a major blow. The kid is unreal. Went to the game last week and he had 6 TDs.

He has definitely decommitted from Michigan. That said, until he is enrolled, I guarantee you Michigan won't stop recruiting him. In this case, I'd like our chances a lot better if he were not an early enrollee. If we had until Signing Day, I would feel more comfortable.

And you are correct, that is a MAJOR blow.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
He has definitely decommitted from Michigan. That said, until he is enrolled, I guarantee you Michigan won't stop recruiting him. In this case, I'd like our chances a lot better if he were not an early enrollee. If we had until Signing Day, I would feel more comfortable.

And you are correct, that is a MAJOR blow.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Hart sticking with Michigan once he feels Rich Rod will remain as HC.

Dee Hart with 100 yards combined rushing and receiving at the half. Had a TD scores of 48 and 30 taken away from holds that had no outcome of the play.

Edited by zenryan

Dee Hart didn't publicly decommit and commit to Alabama, but he's made it pretty clear that if Rodriguez is fired, he'll play elsewhere. Fortunately, the timeline is workable w/ Michigan likely playing in the Gator Bowl on Jan 1. As long as the decision is made before the US Army AA Game, he can enroll at Michigan the following week. The situation is tenuous at best and I'm sure a plan B will be ready. He may yet get tired of waiting and go ahead and pull the trigger to Bama (or someone else). Apparently, Bama turned up the heat when Isaiah Crowell named Georgia as his leader. Ultimately, I think Michigan has a chance at the US Army game, but its certainly not a comfortable situation for anyone.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Dee Hart didn't publicly decommit and commit to Alabama, but he's made it pretty clear that if Rodriguez is fired, he'll play elsewhere. Fortunately, the timeline is workable w/ Michigan likely playing in the Gator Bowl on Jan 1. As long as the decision is made before the US Army AA Game, he can enroll at Michigan the following week. The situation is tenuous at best and I'm sure a plan B will be ready. He may yet get tired of waiting and go ahead and pull the trigger to Bama (or someone else). Apparently, Bama turned up the heat when Isaiah Crowell named Georgia as his leader. Ultimately, I think Michigan has a chance at the US Army game, but its certainly not a comfortable situation for anyone.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Dee Hart said Alabama isnt in his plans and it's between Michigan and UF.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Dee Hart said Alabama isnt in his plans and it's between Michigan and UF.

I read that this morning. For some reason, Alabama didn't really want him. At least they didn't want to give him a shot at tailback and wanted him to be more of a slot, specialty type player. That I don't understand.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
I read that this morning. For some reason, Alabama didn't really want him. At least they didn't want to give him a shot at tailback and wanted him to be more of a slot, specialty type player. That I don't understand.

Has to be a size thing since he is only 5'8-5'9. I guess Alabama wants the more traditional bigger back.

Or maybe Alabama doesnt want to play the recruiting game with him so they decided to move on. Probably felt when it's all said and done he'll stick with Michigan.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)

I just saw they lost Kevin Sousa too. Is this because of uncertainty around RichRod?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
I just saw they lost Kevin Sousa too. Is this because of uncertainty around RichRod?

No, Kevin Sousa has been soft for awhile. One side will tell you he got his panties ruffled when Marquis Williams (the QB from NC) visited, saying Michigan told him they would only recruit one QB this year. The other side, which his coach hinted at without saying is that he was awed by Michigan to the point of questioning whether he would be ready for 3-4 years and wanted to play sooner so he started visiting smaller schools.

From everything I had read he was a project who needed the time, but has good athletic ability. But with Robinson and Devin Gardner, Michigan didn't need him to play right away.

What do you know about Cardale Jones? He's been showing interest in Michigan and Michigan has been reciprocating to some degree, but he's a Glenville kid. Apparently, Glennville kids forgot the directions to Ann Arbor sometime during the Lloyd Carr era. I think he wants to go to OSU, but you guys have Braxton Miller so don't need him. Is he a good kid? Can he play QB at this level?

Edited by Rex Hudler

Wing Devin Langford has apparently committed to Illinois. I have a feeling this will be either a great get (as he blows up and become a really really good player) or just a complete bust that results in him transferring. For some reason, I just don't see any middle ground that he becomes a good role player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Wing Devin Langford has apparently committed to Illinois. I have a feeling this will be either a great get (as he blows up and become a really really good player) or just a complete bust that results in him transferring. For some reason, I just don't see any middle ground that he becomes a good role player.

He is interesting in that despite having no local ties he reached out to go to Illinois before he was even on their radar. Also I think he is like 6'6 or something and plays PG.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Yeah, if I'm Bertrand, I'm definitely transferring because he has no future with Illinois. I'd consider thinking the same if I was Crandall Head too.

I've heard that Head's stay in Champaign won't be very long. He just doesn't have his head on straight, and really never has. I know for a fact that his people reached out to DePaul ever after he announced for Illinois, but they couldn't get on the same page. :lolhitting

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Yeah, if I'm Bertrand, I'm definitely transferring because he has no future with Illinois. I'd consider thinking the same if I was Crandall Head too.

Crandall will be fine. Remember he lost all of last year to a knee injury so he still in recovery mode.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Crandall will be fine. Remember he lost all of last year to a knee injury so he still in recovery mode.

Yeah, but they're literally too deep in the backcourt.

Next year:

Abrams, Langford, Paul, Richardson, Head, Bertrand, and Henry/Richmond at the guard spots. Good look cracking that rotation.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Yeah, but they're literally too deep in the backcourt.

Next year:

Abrams, Langford, Paul, Richardson, Head, Bertrand, and Henry/Richmond at the guard spots. Good look cracking that rotation.

Langford won't play much as a freshman, IMO. Bertrand isn't that good. Paul/Richardson/Richmond are the starters 1-3. And then there minutes to be won. Abrams/Henry are still freshman, so Crandall will have an edge on them assuming his head is on straight. That's the only way I see him leaving is because of academic issues.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
Langford won't play much as a freshman, IMO. Bertrand isn't that good. Paul/Richardson/Richmond are the starters 1-3. And then there minutes to be won. Abrams/Henry are still freshman, so Crandall will have an edge on them assuming his head is on straight. That's the only way I see him leaving is because of academic issues.

If Paul has a good Big 10 season or strong postseason, look for him to try and test the draft waters.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
If Paul has a good Big 10 season or strong postseason, look for him to try and test the draft waters.

He has that type of talent, but is still so raw. That would be an awful decision. I think he has an NBA future, but after junior or senior year, he still has so much refining to do. Illinois is gonna be very weak in the paint next year with Leonard/Griffey as the main two with Shaw and Egwu seeing what they can do. Makes me think J-Rich will get some minutes as a point forward at the 4.