Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Yeah, he's got some big ten offers, but when you have one scholarship, that's not who it should be going to, at least not yet.

Disagree, he's 6'9" and from reports he has a sweet shot and actually has a post game. This is not a guy you want to lose from your back door steps to a school like Wisky where he would dominate.

I think he's a great fit for this team, especially with next year's class and the makeup of it.

And I also think Groce goes after another PG for 2014.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
Yeah, he's got some big ten offers, but when you have one scholarship, that's not who it should be going to, at least not yet.

There will be more than one scholarship. They will give out 3 scholarships in the class of 2014 if they can get the guys they want.

His highlight tapes make him look like Tyler Griffey's clone. Even if he's shot up the rankings, there's still plenty a head of him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
There will be more than one scholarship. They will give out 3 scholarships in the class of 2014 if they can get the guys they want.

Probably, just hope it's not an Indiana situation where we start cutting kids.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
His highlight tapes make him look like Tyler Griffey's clone. Even if he's shot up the rankings, there's still plenty a head of him.

Probably, just hope it's not an Indiana situation where we start cutting kids.

Obviously we'll see where he ends up in the ranks, but from what I've read he's a solid top 100 guy now.

Ibby and/or Shaw will be leaving is my guess, they don't play and don't necessarily fit Groce's system. I think right now they are fighting for their scholarships.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Might as well own it.

Might as well show me who got cut. Been down this road, ends with a bunch of finger pointing with no proof, and no former player saying anything bad about Crean. Ever.

Going to be awfully hilarious when UI continues to pursue Alexander and co from the 2014 class.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Might as well show me who got cut. Been down this road, ends with a bunch of finger pointing with no proof, and no former player saying anything bad about Crean. Ever.

Going to be awfully hilarious when UI continues to pursue Alexander and co from the 2014 class.

No it ends with IU fans getting butthurt and it getting too annoying for anyone to respond. IU signs more players than they have schollys at this point and so far have just worked with convincing older players to go off scholarship. Its the same game thats been played in football for a long time. Nothing illegal about it, but you guys keep being so defensive. Might as well just own it, you are the #1 team in the country until March, so who cares.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
No it ends with IU fans getting butthurt and it getting too annoying for anyone to respond. IU signs more players than they have schollys at this point and so far have just worked with convincing older players to go off scholarship. Its the same game thats been played in football for a long time. Nothing illegal about it, but you guys keep being so defensive. Might as well just own it, you are the #1 team in the country until March, so who cares.

So let me get this straight. They were flat out "cut", but no one speaks up. Make sense.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
Due to having a couple of extremely likely transfers.

Excuses flying already. Same deal with IU, along with NBA departures.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
So let me get this straight. They were flat out "cut", but no one speaks up. Make sense.

School has started, and they’ve got their guys that are there on scholarship,” Roth said.

“They’ve got the right number of guys. I’m not enrolled and I’m not on scholarship.

I never told them I was ready to move on, but I gotta look out for my best interest now.

There’s no sense in hoping. I don’t know if it’s even possible now.”

Roth said he and Crean spoke briefly at camp, but he didn’t want to pull Crean away from coaching

the young players at the camp. Roth said even though Crean didn’t directly address his status, he did tell Roth to use him

as a reference for any job applications. He said he appreciated that, but it also allowed him to read between the lines.

“You kind of put one and one together there,” Roth said."

Matt Roth Spoke up until Crean made it clear he would be a good job reference since he is in sports mgmt. Creaning isnt just a bunch of people getting together wishing something would happen to whats been the doormat of the conference for the last 10 years. IU was oversigned for this year so they got rid of a guy. Patterson developed academic troubles all of a sudden, Story, Bawa. You are oversigned next year and are at limit the year after. I'm betting those numbers will round themselves out somehow.

Crean plays the numbers game well, its not an NCAA violation but its a real thing. Why not just own it while you are at the top? Football teams have been using "attrition" for decades, the SEC does it in spades. A&M has 35 recruits signed next year and 10 are enrolling early to offset that number.

Hell FWIW OSU has scholly restrictions the next few years so Urban deliberately ran a few players off that he thought were dead weight and a few left on their own. Whatever. We were running with roughly 62 scholarship athletes this year.

Edited by RockRaines

Bawa can't even get minutes at some directional school in Tennesee, yea obviously he didn't transfer because of playing time...

Patterson... You obviously knew nothing about him coming in. Crean went to bat for him in front of the dean of admissions board and he barely was admitted to even start taking "partial" summer school classes. He then got busted cheating in a level 100 course where he was BARELY getting a C.

Try again.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Hard to believe that article, when Roth comes out and says everything in that article was either fabricated or taken out of context.... http://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1401618

As for SoxBadgers post, citing urban dictionary? LOL

in your Indiana Rivals article you posted he even says he found out there was no room at the inn. Why cant you just accept that players are being turned away if they arent needed? Its not illegal. Did Roth deserve to be done that way? Probably not, but its pretty clear in that article that other job opportunities were put on the plate if he walked away and was positive and he did the smart thing since his future is not in playing basketball.

Even last night, all the great things he said to a lot of potential future employers in the Fort Wayne area. I know he's been doing that all summer.

"Any time an employer calls, I know he's going to bat for me. I'm more than grateful for what he's done. What more can he do for me as I find a foundation for me and my life? He's been great so far in the job process, and that's only going to continue to build throughout my life."

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Bawa can't even get minutes at some directional school in Tennesee, yea obviously he didn't transfer because of playing time...

Patterson... You obviously knew nothing about him coming in. Crean went to bat for him in front of the dean of admissions board and he barely was admitted to even start taking "partial" summer school classes. He then got busted cheating in a level 100 course where he was BARELY getting a C.

Try again.

And here's the "its annoying arguing with IU fans on this subject" proof. Anything anyone says it going to have a carbon copy answer from your peeg boards or whatever and frankly nobody really cares. Creaning is real, its happening and going into next year and the year after your numbers will magically work again. He's just smart enough to be doing it better than most other bball coaches in the conference. In football IU is WORLDS behind so maybe it just evens out.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Matt Roth Spoke up until Crean made it clear he would be a good job reference since he is in sports mgmt. Creaning isnt just a bunch of people getting together wishing something would happen to whats been the doormat of the conference for the last 10 years. IU was oversigned for this year so they got rid of a guy. Patterson developed academic troubles all of a sudden, Story, Bawa. You are oversigned next year and are at limit the year after. I'm betting those numbers will round themselves out somehow.

Crean plays the numbers game well, its not an NCAA violation but its a real thing. Why not just own it while you are at the top? Football teams have been using "attrition" for decades, the SEC does it in spades. A&M has 35 recruits signed next year and 10 are enrolling early to offset that number.

Hell FWIW OSU has scholly restrictions the next few years so Urban deliberately ran a few players off that he thought were dead weight and a few left on their own. Whatever. We were running with roughly 62 scholarship athletes this year.

Not saying you might not have a point in general, but this has all been rehashed too much already for me to want to get into it. I'm just curious what makes you include these names, as we were pretty much begging for players at that point (especially Story, he was part of Crean's haphazardly put together first class. He wasn't even the only one that transferred after that year, Nick Williams went to Ole Miss).

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Hard to believe that article, when Roth comes out and says everything in that article was either fabricated or taken out of context.... http://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1401618

As for SoxBadgers post, citing urban dictionary? LOL

So he backtracked, and that makes what he said fail to exist in the first place?

Let's re-write history.

I'm going to ignore the Indiana talk and say I'm very happy with the Finke signing. Yes, Illinois used their only open scholarship but like it has been said I expect at least 1-2 transfers. I also have no problem with Groce not using a couple guys very much given he wasn't the one who recruited them.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
So he backtracked, and that makes what he said fail to exist in the first place?

Let's re-write history.

More like corrected himself based on a job opportunity. Smart kid smart move. Another year of bball wasn't getting him to pros.