Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
This is a really ridiculous statement.

If Jabari Parker cared about education he would have gone to Whitney Young instead of Simeon.

Nothing wrong with that thought process but I highly doubt Parker is at Duke for more than one year and education probably played little to no role in choice.

Edited by Harry Chappas

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you know what's in his head? How do you know he's not going to keep a relationship with the school and graduate at a later time?

When an engineer leaves school early to start a business nobody claims he doesn't care about an education. There is still a lot to be learned in 1-2 years of college, and going to a program that demands performance in academics may well have been important to him. This kid is poised to make millions in the NBA and risks it all by going to play for college, and yet instead of going to Kentucky or Florida, he entertained some very good academic schools for athletes. It is a ridiculous statement that you don't have much to back up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
How would you know what's in his head? How do you know he's not going to keep a relationship with the school and graduate at a later time?

When an engineer leaves school early to start a business nobody claims he doesn't care about an education. There is still a lot to be learned in 1-2 years of college, and going to a program that demands performance in academics may well have been important to him. This kid is poised to make millions in the NBA and risks it all by going to play for college, and yet instead of going to Kentucky or Florida, he entertained some very good academic schools for athletes. It is a ridiculous statement that you don't have much to back up.

His profession is basketball, not engineering though. He is going to Duke to hone his craft to improve his chances in the NBA, which forces him to attend college for at least one year. Read the SI article about his recruitment. It was all about the basketball coaches, not philosphy professors. If it was truly about academics, MSU & Florida would have never made a list with Duke/Stanford. (And this is not a criticism of Parker, this is the correct thought process IMO.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
His profession is basketball, not engineering though. He is going to Duke to hone his craft to improve his chances in the NBA, which forces him to attend college for at least one year. Read the SI article about his recruitment. It was all about the basketball coaches, not philosphy professors. If it was truly about academics, MSU & Florida would have never made a list with Duke/Stanford. (And this is not a criticism of Parker, this is the correct thought process IMO.)

It's the same principle. Just because he's going to leave early doesn't mean he won't care about the education there.

Yes, he picked Duke for the education. That's exactly it.

I know you are trying to hang on to superstars being "student-athletes," but they aren't. They are there for one purpose, like it or not.

He'll be there for a year, and class will just get in the way of his time to hone his craft. Let's not pretend he's there for anything different.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
It's the same principle. Just because he's going to leave early doesn't mean he won't care about the education there.

The engineer is using his education to help start his business. The basketball player is using what he learned on the basketball court to further his career.

Purdue has offered a scholly to soph Jalen Brunson from Stevenson. The kid is going to be the best PG in state by the time he's a senior. Heard he maybe moving east this coming summer as well.

I saw about 30 high school games in the past week, got paid for it all, and how is Dayton recruiting Chicago talent better than Illinois? Kendall Pollard (Simeon) and Kyle Davis (Morgan Park) are both great. Pollard was really impressive.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
I saw about 30 high school games in the past week, got paid for it all, and how is Dayton recruiting Chicago talent better than Illinois? Kendall Pollard (Simeon) and Kyle Davis (Morgan Park) are both great. Pollard was really impressive.

Um, better!? I've heard good things about Pollard, but Illinois got arguably two better players in Nunn and Tate (Tate is arguable, but fills a huge position of need).

Groce is clearly going to make strides recruiting Chicago, we've got a pretty damn good class coming in and he did that in a short amount of time.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Um, better!? I've heard good things about Pollard, but Illinois got arguably two better players in Nunn and Tate (Tate is arguable, but fills a huge position of need).

Groce is clearly going to make strides recruiting Chicago, we've got a pretty damn good class coming in and he did that in a short amount of time.

I still think Nunn and Tate were recruited based on playing together rather then their individual games. Neither has been very impressive this season. Especially when Jabari was out, neither stepped up like the should have.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 02:51 AM)

I think you're the only one who thinks that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
I still think Nunn and Tate were recruited based on playing together rather then their individual games. Neither has been very impressive this season. Especially when Jabari was out, neither stepped up like the should have.

Two words: Malcolm Hill. He's gonna be a stud in college IMO.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)

Not really true at all, Tate wasn't offered a scholly until after DJax turned us down.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
Also, what Simeon games did you catch? Nunn and Tate played pretty well this weekend.

All of em. The best thing Tate can do is shoot FTs. Nunn had more potential in college than Tate but neither will be better than Abrams.

Here's a recap.

KENDRICK NUNN and JAYLON TATE, senior guards from Chicago Simeon High School, helped the Wolverines win the 82nd annual Pontiac Holiday Tournament on Saturday night. Simeon beat West Aurora (Ill.) High School 60-47 in the championship game, with Tate scoring 12 points and handing out four assists while Nunn had 11 points. In Simeon's 62-57 win on Saturday afternoon in the semifinals against Chicago Curie High School, Tate had 12 points —including a 10-of-10 effort at the free throw line —while Nunn added eight points. Nunn and Tate each had 18 points during Simeon's 88-53 quarterfinal win against Bloomington (Ill.) High School on Friday, with Tate adding six assists and five steals. In Simeon's first-round 77-20 win against East Moline United Township (Ill.) High School, Nunn had 13 points and four assists while Tate ended up with one point and three steals as Simeon's starters sat most of the second half. The Simeon duo and the rest of the Wolverines get back in action this Saturday in the Cancer Research Classic at Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia. The Wolverines (9-1) will take on Montverde (Fla.) Academy, which features Florida commit Kasey Hill, West Virginia commit Devin Williams and one of the top unsigned seniors in the Class of 2013, center Dakari Johnson.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Purdue has offered a scholly to soph Jalen Brunson from Stevenson. The kid is going to be the best PG in state by the time he's a senior. Heard he maybe moving east this coming summer as well.

Interesting. I need to go watch him in person.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
Interesting. I need to go watch him in person.

He's pretty awesome right now. Would like him better if he went to Warren.

Stevenson has another sophomore, Connor Cashaw who will be D1 as well.

Simeon getting pounded by the #1 team in the country right now. I still have no idea what position Nunn should be playing in Groce's system, as his jump shot is awful. It's interesting that Marquette was one of his finalists as he reminds me a lot of the athletic, slashing guards they've had of late.

Edited by fathom