Can Amy Jacobson really be THIS stupid...?

Steff

http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/461...feder10.article

In too deep? Pool party with missing woman's husband could sink NBC 5 reporter

July 10, 2007

BY ROBERT FEDER Sun-Times Columnist

Amy Jacobson, a reporter for WMAQ-Channel 5, is in hot water with her bosses for going swimming on her day off with the estranged husband of a missing Plainfield woman.

Dressed in a two-piece swimsuit, Jacobson brought her two young sons, ages 3 and 2, with her Friday when she swam in the backyard pool of Craig Stebic.

Lisa Stebic vanished from the southwest suburban home April 30. She and her husband, parents of two children, were in the midst of a divorce.

NBC 5's Amy Jacobson brought her two young sons, ages 3 and 2, when she swam in the backyard pool of Craig Stebic.

When Jacobson informed her bosses of the pool party, insiders said, they told her she had used poor judgment and had "crossed the line" of journalistic ethics.

The incident was captured on videotape by a photographer from WBBM-Channel 2 who was shooting from a neighbor's yard. As of Monday, the CBS-owned station had chosen not to air it.

Sources said Jacobson told her bosses that she was on her way to the East Bank Club in River North to go swimming with her sons Friday when she received a call from Craig Stebic's sister, asking her to come to his house to talk about the case.

Jacobson immediately was taken off the Stebic story and was told to hire a lawyer. She did not return calls Monday.

Channel 5 officials declined to comment, saying through a spokeswoman that "the matter is under review." Their options range from a formal reprimand to suspension to termination.

Jacobson, a native of northwest suburban Mount Prospect, joined NBC-owned Channel 5 in 1996.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
When you read the headline of the article, it seems like she was hooking up with the husband. Still a very dumb move, but not as bad as I had first thought.

Love the picture they used of her on Sun times.

Initially I thought that also. Weird all around. This guy is a person of interest in the suspected murder of his wife and you think it's a good think to have your kids around him... good grief. Stupid people shouldn't breed. :stick

Amy went to my HS, but I didn't know her really.

I also have a Journalism degree and the questionable judgement she used is amazing. Just dumb, dumb, dumb. She will probably be paid through the rest of her contract but not be allowed on air and then they will not renew.

Not only CAN she be this stupid...she IS this stupid.

Forget the person of interest angle...she has just made HERSELF news...which is probably the biggest no-no in journalism.

I wonder who tipped off Channel 2...?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Not only CAN she be this stupid...she IS this stupid.

Forget the person of interest angle...she has just made HERSELF news...which is probably the biggest no-no in journalism.

I wonder who tipped off Channel 2...?

News crews have been living out of vans all over Plainfield for weeks following this guy. There were a group of them following him around the Jewel at 59 and 135th last Monday night.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)
Rumor has it she's been fired.

If she is divorced her ex potentially has a hell of a custody issue :ph34r:

You said it, sister! Even if she's NOT divorced, it's probably going to happen soon.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
I am guessing in the next month either Channel 7 or Fox 32 has the EXCLUSIVE Amy Jacobsen interview.

I am not saying, I am just saying, but if Amy were black, would they have pulled the plug so quickly?

I don't really think race or sex matters in this case. I'm not a professional journalist, or a good one by any means, but as a journalism major who has taken a few classes on media ethics, I think this would classify as a pretty bad violation. I can't speak for any network executives, but I have little doubt that a white male reporter would be shown the door as well.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
It's too easy and dangerous to run wild with specualtion on her involvment here, but I'm sure you're all thinking some of the same things I am.

I don't know what you're thinking, but personally I don't care if she was screwing the guy or not. My concern lies with the welfare of her children. The guy is suspected of murdering someone... you don't put your minor children in a situation to be around someone like that regardless if there were 800 other kids and adults there.

Though I am probably a tad bit over sensitive about stuff like this at this present time.

The answer to the thread title is unequivocally YES.

I just read her "Im Crushed" interview in the media juggernaut Suntimes. She is a bigtime ditz, she doesnt understand what she did wrong, and keeps referring to the other people that were there with her. Basically she doesnt understand that she wasnt supposed to be there at all, she thinks everyone is upset about it because they think she is having an affair with Stebic, and she is glossing over the ethics part of it.

It is strange that CBS was next door when it happened, but it is funny as well

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
The answer to the thread title is unequivocally YES.

I just read her "Im Crushed" interview in the media juggernaut Suntimes. She is a bigtime ditz, she doesnt understand what she did wrong, and keeps referring to the other people that were there with her. Basically she doesnt understand that she wasnt supposed to be there at all, she thinks everyone is upset about it because they think she is having an affair with Stebic, and she is glossing over the ethics part of it.

Maybe not in a swimsuit and with her kids, but if she were there by herself, why not? The circumstances were bad and she exercised poor judgement, but I don't think its as big of a deal as some people (CBS) are making it out to be.

It reeks of tabloid journalism to me.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't know what you're thinking, but personally I don't care if she was screwing the guy or not. My concern lies with the welfare of her children. The guy is suspected of murdering someone... you don't put your minor children in a situation to be around someone like that regardless if there were 800 other kids and adults there.

Though I am probably a tad bit over sensitive about stuff like this at this present time.

Not true. Some in the media and public have speculated about "how things look," but the police have repeatedly said that he is not a suspect nor a person of interest.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Not true. Some in the media and public have speculated about "how things look," but the police have repeatedly said that he is not a suspect nor a person of interest.

He has undercover cops on him 24/7. He's a suspect.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)

Heard a rumor that CBS "paid" for the tape which sounds like maybe the neighbors video'd it and sold it to them.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)

Didn't they say that about Vaugn up until the moment they arrested his pathetic butt?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Maybe not in a swimsuit and with her kids, but if she were there by herself, why not?

You think he was referring to time spent there in a profssional capasity?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Didn't they say that about Vaugn up until the moment they arrested his pathetic butt?

Uh hu.. ;)

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
'Cause you're fat? :P

:ph34r:

Yes.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)

..now take that one step further, she was screwing the guy AND his wife goes missing. Hmmmm.

What she did was stupid because you'd better believe the investigators will be all over her now.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas