Floyd back to AAA

fathom

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Standing past is absolutely ridiculous. It honestly upsets me to even think about the possibility of not trading any starting pitcher.

Wait till the deadline. I think Williams will. Maybe teams would like to see Garland's next start be good before dealing for him. And it's possible Williams could wait till the offseason before dealing Garland and/or Contreras and/or Vazquez. Th only reasons for the Sox trade now would be:

1) Getting something for Iguchi or Dye before they leave (and the market probably isn't great for either)

2) If someone offered a good package for a picther.

The Sox aren't really under any time pressure except for dealing Iguchi and Dye. KW might wait on Contreras and hope he resurrects his trade value a little bit. And he might make it through waivers after the deadline.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll see some deals but the big one(s) may wait till the offseason if KW doesn't like the return.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
Standing past is absolutely ridiculous. It honestly upsets me to even think about the possibility of not trading any starting pitcher.

How exactly is the ballclub expected to improve in future seasons if not for the trade of someone holding value? We've been over the various options for acquiring talent, and this team has practically none of them working in their favor.

Since Buehrle's presence on this ballcub is assured, Garland should be traded. This entire scenario with contract extensions and the possibility of not receiving top value (because of time remaining on a contract) in return will only be rehased again next season. We're not winning anything within the immediate future whether Williams realizes it or not.

I'd rather have whichever package is received for Garland and Contreras, in addition to the likely struggles of their replacements, rather than have both pitch meaningless games. 2010 should be the goal. Perhaps by then, DLS will be available.

Even though he's the guy signed for the longest, I wouldn't be surprised if Vazquez was the one moved. He's got almost as much value as Jon with his recent performances. Yet who is the better bet to pitch and win more games? And garland could be dealt next year if the sox can't re-sign him. Again, who is the better bet to have more value next year--Jon or Javy?

Contreras could be kept until he regains his stuff--which may be only the few starts between now and the deadline. Then traded in the offseason. Or kept for the next 2 seasons. Because right now it makes little sense to dump him as his trade value is rock bottom low. It wasn't that long ago he was the sox ace. If he can pull a 2nd half like Freddy did last year, Jose will be valuable again.

My guess is that there is something going down between the Reds and the Sox regarding Griffey and/or Dunn involving Contreras, Floyd and Haegar. The Reds rotation with Bailey, Harang and Charles Bronson needs some 3 through 5 guys. With that park they need to avoid fly ball pitchers which Floyd and Haegar are not.

I think if there is a 72 window with Dunn he could be moved to the Sox.

Garland would be a huge chip with them as well if they think like a real organization as he would make the rotation pretty formidable especially in the NL.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
My guess is that there is something going down between the Reds and the Sox regarding Griffey and/or Dunn involving Contreras, Floyd and Haegar. The Reds rotation with Bailey, Harang and Charles Bronson needs some 3 through 5 guys. With that park they need to avoid fly ball pitchers which Floyd and Haegar are not.

I think if there is a 72 window with Dunn he could be moved to the Sox.

Garland would be a huge chip with them as well if they think like a real organization as he would make the rotation pretty formidable especially in the NL.

I really doubt KW will give up Gavin Floyd after only one major league start. This is a guy he's been talking up since the day he acquired him. He really likes Gavin for some reason, and he's going to be more than a throw in.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Wow. Good for him. I thought he should have come north with the team this spring for the bullpen.

What is KW up to? After the All-Star break, the rotation could be Buehrle, Danks, Haeger, Gio, Pelfrey. If there is such a thing as an exciting GM, KW is it. Can't you just feel that something will be announced tomorrow?

This means that after Floyd was sent down, the team he was trading a pitcher to realized that KW was not bluffing and met his demands. One of the starters must have been traded. Since Gavin had been sent down already, Haeger was brought up to fill the void. That's my attempt at figuring out KW's genius. I'll guess Garland is a Dodger and Kemp and Billingsley are on their way. If I'm right, I'll play the lotto this weekend.

You know we so rarely mention this. I mean this isn't religion or health care...this is a sport and supposed to be fun. I have had more FUN with KW as GM than any in my near 40 years of being a baseball addict. HUGE trades...Jim Thome, David Wells...free agent signings...Jermaine Dye. Weird acquisitions...Iguchi. And at every trade deadline...he's one of the players. In the "game" of building a baseball team...KW is Reggie Jackson...maybe not the greatest ever but sure fun to watch and listen to.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
Wow, Chuck was not one of the names I expected that would come up here... I think they like the fact he could relieve or go long innings to save the pen. Hopefully he isn't as amped up as the last time we got here and he doesn't overthrow the knuckler again.

Where is all this talk about Haeger being called up coming from? It was only posted by a couple of posters here with single digit post totals and nowhere else that I can find.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Where is all this talk about Haeger being called up coming from? It was only posted by a couple of posters here with single digit post totals and nowhere else that I can find.

same here... right now, I'm not buying it.

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
He's on his way to Baltimore as we speak.....Good luck Charlie, welcome to the show!

Cool stuff and for the couple of you that made some posts before anything was announced I just want to say thanks...we always appreciate that type of info :cheers

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
where are you guys getting the info on Charlie getting called up?

I'm not sure why two different people, including one I've talked to before, would come on here and make this up, so I believe them.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
I'm not sure why two different people, including one I've talked to before, would come on here and make this up, so I believe them.

well, I've never talked or even seen either of them before (no offense) and just a post saying Charlie Haeger is coming doesn't really do much for me. I'm not calling them liers, but would like to see a source for something like this.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
where are you guys getting the info on Charlie getting called up?

Wcw2323 is an outstanding poster with alot of credability so I believe him post counts (which is severely overrated) or not.